PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a major burley fan, and of C&D burley blends especially. But I hate to be herded. It's antithetical to the culture of pipe smoking, which is independent and deliberative. By the time I decide to buy a tin of Eight State, it will be sold out, and I won't have to worry about it.

This could and should be an unusually good blend, but as I said, I'm not going to hop to it.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I really do, it's one of the few things I by from the secondary market. I'm probably stupid for doing so but I want to ensure I have some in the cellar for a little while. I currently have 22 tins in my collection.
It seems to be a good seller for them, as are most of the small batch releases. I also tend to like it and usually pick up a few tins with each release. As long as there's leaf, buyer's, and bee's...they will cont to produce.

Reactions: ofafeather

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Small Batches are generally around the same price as other C&D blends, another reason they sell fast.
I stopped by Low Country, the SP B&M, last year and they had 8 tins of 2020 Sunbear for sale. They figured it wasn't worth putting it online and sent it to the store. I bought them all for 10.50 a piece if I recall. Then a few months ago I picked up a bunch of tins of House Blend for less than 8 bucks. I always find jems at B&Ms.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I'm passing on this as I do most "limited" or "small batch" releases. Besides based on a subset of the hundreds of C&D blends I've tried not one would I buy again, several have gone straight to the garden after the first bowl. So it's a double no-no for me.

Reactions: Casual and kcghost

Hercfixer1

Lurker
Mar 15, 2022
The curious case of the ever-growing 'small batches' continues!

LOL - that said, this is a fantastic Burley blend. Worth picking up a couple of tins, if you are a Burley fan.
Seems it will become the pipe smokers version of the Apple releases lol. C&D does some great things but lately I have fell in love with Perriti, wilke and some of the original blenders. When I do t want to open a cellared tin etc and need a decent smoke to get by I usually go with a C&d blend or a GL Pease which is blended by C&D. Never much caught on to the whole small batch stuff.

Hercfixer1

Lurker
Mar 15, 2022
I'm passing on this as I do most "limited" or "small batch" releases. Besides based on a subset of the hundreds of C&D blends I've tried not one would I buy again, several have gone straight to the garden after the first bowl. So it's a double no-no for me.
I cellar those tins in the hopes a better profile comes with age. One example would be Virginia cream. Not small batch but one of the few C&D blends I buy in bills.

Jun 23, 2019
Seems it will become the pipe smokers version of the Apple releases lol. C&D does some great things but lately I have fell in love with Perriti, wilke and some of the original blenders. When I do t want to open a cellared tin etc and need a decent smoke to get by I usually go with a C&d blend or a GL Pease which is blended by C&D. Never much caught on to the whole small batch stuff.

I agree, too many great blends from many talented blenders to be unicorn chasing...

Reactions: captpat
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I’m curious, does the same consensus reach to blends like simply red, rhythm and blues, rogoroux, and the like from blenders like watch city? Or KBV?

Technically the same thing but without “limited” branding. I wonder if these stances are more a aimed at C&D and Sutliff specifically or across the board regardless of blender.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I’m curious, does the same consensus reach to blends like simply red, rhythm and blues, rogoroux, and the like from blenders like watch city? Or KBV?

Technically the same thing but without “limited” branding. I wonder if these stances are more a aimed at C&D and Sutliff specifically or across the board regardless of blender.
In the case of Watch City, Ernie has to do all the blending work himself. The same goes for the KBV blends. And since they have quite a number of blends to make, they just can't continually make unlimited supplies of some blends. And in Ernie's case, he likes to age a great many of the non-aromatic blends he sells so they'll be ready to smoke upon purchase. I believe our KBV fella does the same thing more often than not.

Btw, I am getting this year's Eight State Burley for review. Should be here any time.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I don’t have any issues with it. It’s just that a 600 pound batch is a 600 pound batch or a single release per year is a single release per year regardless of who does it. I’m just curious if the negative outlooks expressed in many of these threads are mostly directed at the big guys because they are big instead of a genuine dislike for small batch releases as a concept.

Jun 23, 2019
In the case of Watch City, Ernie has to do all the blending work himself. The same goes for the KBV blends. And since they have quite a number of blends to make, they just can't continually make unlimited supplies of some blends. And in Ernie's case, he likes to age a great many of the non-aromatic blends he sells so they'll be ready to smoke upon purchase. I believe our KBV fella does the same thing more often than not.

Btw, I am getting this year's Eight State Burley for review. Should be here any time.

Be very curious to hear how it compares to last years! Also, is it now just a general release and limited no more?

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Limited release or not, I'm thankful for the guys at C&D, WCC, LJ Peretti, and KBV. These guys keep us stocked with great blends. While we wait for Eso, Gawith S&G, Comoys and such to find it in their hearts to send some products over the pond, these guys continue to supply us with minor interruptions. So when these limited release blends come out, I want some because I know they want to offer us something special.