Eight State Burley 2022

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I wouldn't mind these small speciality releases if they were done in a manner that allowed individuals to preorder and the batches were truly limited in a manner that allowed more people to participate. Pavlov and Skinner must be running this business.

I'll pass.
Maybe make it like a lottery. We all fill out a request form, and they just randomly select requests to fill until they run out of stock.

Last edited:

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Maybe make it like a lottery. We all fill out a request form, and they just randomly select requests to fill until they run out of stick.
Really, that makes much more sense. There are a lot of us who don't mind trying new blends but to stay up until midnight - and on the west coast I don't even know what that means in terms of all the time zones - is frustrating, especially when you sign in and everything is gone.

Honestly, it makes me not want to buy from C and D. It may be why I haven't bought from them in some time.

Really, that makes much more sense. There are a lot of us who don't mind trying new blends but to stay up until midnight - and on the west coast I don't even know what that means in terms of all the time zones - is frustrating, especially when you sign in and everything is gone.

Honestly, it makes me not want to buy from C and D. It may be why I haven't bought from them in some time.
I can't imagine smoking without C&D blends. I don't have enough McClellands set back to do without C&D entirely. And, I just don't enjoy European blends very much. I wouldn't let how they handle one small aspect of their business keep me from ALL of their products. But, maybe you're just less picky than me, and yet more picky at the same time, ha ha. puffy

telescopes

I can't imagine smoking without C&D blends. I don't have enough McClellands set back to do without C&D entirely. And, I just don't enjoy European blends very much. I wouldn't let how they handle one small aspect of their business keep me from ALL of their products. But, maybe you're just less picky than me, and yet more picky at the same time, ha ha. puffy
I think the line that pissed me off was The Beast. I really wanted to try that blend, I stayed up till midnight, and it was sold out. Maybe a timezone thing, but it rubbed me wrong.

Anyway, I have my Indian. Just another excuse to go riding when not smoking.

Would much prefer From Beyond to rear it’s head, I thought Eight State was absolutely meh.
Yeh, I would have to say that I was surprised that so many people adored a blend like this that has the same flavor profile as many of the other burley blends out there. My guess is that some of the guys who raved about it were snotty Virginia smokers that only tried 8State, because it was a "rare" small batch thing, and they've never tried many of the other burley blends out there.

I mean, I liked it a lot, but I also have several other things in the cellar that scratches the same itch. I would definitely buy more, as long as I don't have to wait up till midnight, but if I don't get more, I won't lose any sleep over it (pun intended).

I think the line that pissed me off was The Beast. I really wanted to try that blend, I stayed up till midnight, and it was sold out. Maybe a timezone thing, but it rubbed me wrong.

Yeh, I was a little pissed off about Folklore, especially since they named it after me. But, in the long run I got plenty. But, with things like this, it is hard to come up with a plan that doesn't piss off someone... might as well be me, ha ha.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis

Since you are on the west coast, you may want to check in at 9pm. I live in central time zone and I think their sales start at 11pm for me (for instance, with the last IPSD sale, which I predicted would start at 11pm on the Wednesday night before). This means living on the west coast DOES ACTUALLY have its advantages (haha).

In other words, the sale or the release hits at midnight on the east coast (eastern time zone), not midnight local time, wherever you live.

telescopes

I think I did just that and the auction was closed. Which is why I checked back at 12. Honestly, they have a responsibility to mention the time zone and how it is effective in other areas. It's the same with internet TV. A new episode will drop at 12 and somehow they mean 12 at every time zone.

I think I did just that and the auction was closed. Which is why I checked back at 12. Honestly, they have a responsibility to mention the time zone and how it is effective in other areas. It's the same with internet TV. A new episode will drop at 12 and somehow they mean 12 at every time zone.
Do they even say that they will drop at midnight? I don't remember them ever saying that with Folklore. I just woke up at 5AM and they were gone already. THAT'S mostly what pissed me off.
Didn't they have one that dropped in the morning recently, which then messed up their website?

telescopes

Not sure
Do they even say that they will drop at midnight? I don't remember them ever saying that with Folklore. I just woke up at 5AM and they were gone already. THAT'S mostly what pissed me off.
Didn't they have one that dropped in the morning recently, which then messed up their website?
Not sure, but the ones that I have responded to absolutely did say midnight. The real issue is that they will make around 1600 tins and sell up to a lot of 10. That allows as little as 160 people to control the market - a market that then becomes a resale market.

I look at places such as Telluride where the housing market is controlled by people with way too much money. Even Silverton has been bought up. What this means is that regular worker bees simply can't even commute to these locales to provide services - meaning places like Telluride have had as little as two restaurants open at any given time.

This comes back to C&D. The method they use for these limited releases is favoring those who are in a position to corner the market.

Enough of corning the market. Let's do something to expand the market.

This comes back to C&D. The method they use for these limited releases is favoring those who are in a position to corner the market.
You would think it would work that way, but I haven't seen it on the secondary market enough to prove that. Plus, the WAYS thread was full of 8State smokers for a while, so some of us are getting access.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Maybe make it like a lottery. We all fill out a request form, and they just randomly select requests to fill until they run out of stock.
The problem I found with lotteries is that they end up giving it to their buddies and there's nothing left for the others. I see it often on Instagram with giveaways always to the same people, sad really.