PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
And if so, how?
[Title edited for meaning and caps.]

I have a collection of 9 pipes now! Crazy I know lol... (for a new smoker)

I have seen two schools of thought. Smoke a pipe once and let it sit, moving onto the next pipe for your next smoke.

Or

Picking out one pipe for the entire day and just smoking that.

Which do you prefer and why?

If I smoke 5-6 bowls a day (sometimes only 1-2 hours between a bowl, can I just choose one pipe? Use a cleaner to remove moisture after each smoke. The next day I'd pick a different pipe.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:

Christos D. Tsatsaronis

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 16, 2018
Athens, Greece
Smoking 1 bowl per day, some days (not many) 2, others none.
Smoking my ca 70 pipes one after the other, first cobs, then briars (and other woods), then Falcons plus some meerschaum, clays, ceramic, in between. Such has been my method since perhaps 2 years now and I am not thinking about changing it in the near future.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Can I harm a pipe if I smoke it 6 times in the same day, but then rest it for a week?
As long as you are smoking it properly (burning the tobacco but not the material the pipe is made of) you can smoke it repeatedly. If there's a limit, I certainly haven't found it.

When I go camping or on a road trip I smoke more than normal, and only bring 1 or 2 pipes. I'll run a pipe cleaner through them after each smoke, and smoke the same pipe all day for 3 or 4 days in a row while camping without any problems.

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
I smoke my pipes back to back most of the time. My philosophy is, if it tastes good, smoke it.
If they didn't taste good I would not smoke them in that manner, I'd let them rest.

Reactions: seanv

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I smoke the same pipe multiple times per day sometimes for weeks at a time and only swap them out on a whim or if I want to smoke a blend specific pipe.

Reactions: burleybreath

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I generally smoke a pipe once or twice before resting it. Though it also depends on what I smoke in it. VA for instance seems to tolerate a lack of rest better then others. English seems to be horrible at it. In fact I have to store the pipe in the other room when I get home if I smoked something in the English family (the smell is why). But the two reasons I rotate is one I like variety and also I do find pipes get nasty slower when rotated. Though a bigger thing is just cleaning them out quickly after each smoke (or every other when I get lazy).
The bottom line is pipe smoking is hedonistic and whatever gives you the most fun or joy is the way to go. As long as you understand that not cleaning or rotating your pipes will mean they'll need a deep clean after some time.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Used to rotate pipes that was I actually smoking fairly religiously. Didn't smoke a pipe more than once a day and was sure to rotate it, So, if I was smoking nine pipes at the time, I smoke all nine pipes one at time I was through the rotation and then start over again. Nowadays I still don't smoke a pipe more than once a day but that's all the rotating I do.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I smoke every bowl in different briar pipe, using 9mm filters and changing them after every bowl. The same pipe smoked twice or a filter used twice in a row doesn't feel as tasty as everything fresh. It's just me. If you can't tell the difference it probably doesn't matter.
However sometimes I smoke a meerschaum pipe for days and I don't detect any changes in taste.

Reactions: bpinkstaff
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Depends if you're a wet smoker or dry smoker. Depends if you dry your tobacco enough out smoke it moist. If a wet smoker or smoking most tobacco, you'd benefit from rotating pipes. If neither, probably doesn't matter much. Unless it is inconvenient to rotate pipes, seems logical to do so. If your last bowl of the day tastes as good as the first, in the same pipe, you can answer your own question. Same for if it doesn't taste as good.