PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I've likened the scent to sweaty gym socks, or jockstraps.

Personally, I love that pungent stink in a tobacco, as it suggests pleasures to come when the blend is smoked.
The mental image of you opening a tin, being greeted by the smell of used socks and sweaty butt cheeks and thinking “ah yes, a tobacco I can truly savor” is bringing me to tears of laughter. I love this.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Ive never smoked a blend that I hated. I mean, some are better than others but if you like pipe tobacco its hard to understand how there could be such a wide gap between good and bad. Its pretty much a typical non aromatic vaper. Red virginias and perique is the base like countless other blends, nothing out of the norm as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sethology12

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Ive never smoked a blend that I hated. I mean, some are better than others but if you like pipe tobacco its hard to understand how there could be such a wide gap between good and bad. Its pretty much a typical non aromatic vaper. Red virginias and perique is the base like countless other blends, nothing out of the norm as far as I can tell.

Ever tried Potlatch?

Sethology12

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2023
Richmond, Va
Weirdly enough I really don't like RO Firestorm. But otherwise I can smoke most anything. Hoping age tames Firestorm

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
Weirdly enough I really don't like RO Firestorm. But otherwise I can smoke most anything. Hoping age tames Firestorm
Weird that you say that… firestorm is one of only three blends that I have decided I will leave alone. Pretty much everything else has been on the spectrum of okay to delightful, no matter the blend type.

The other two no-go blends for me were Haddo’s Delight (couldn’t get past the boozy character of that one), and Sillem’s Black (all I got was cough syrup mixed with liquid smoke).

• Wow
Reactions: Scottmi

Ora Pro Nobis

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
Smoked another bowl yesterday because I bought it, and I hate wasting money; It still smells and tastes like crap.

JSPiper71

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Hey boys, here's the latest of my pipe adventures; Cringle Flake 2022. For those who aren't familiar with it:

Sutliff Cringle Flake Holiday Edition 2022 Packaged Pipe Tobacco

Sutliff Cringle Flake Holiday Edition 2022 NEW​

When people talk about Virginia/Perique blends, depth of flavor usually isn't part of the conversation. Well, that's not true of this holiday's season's limited release from Sutliff - Cringle Flake. Before pressing it, Sutliff takes toasty red Virginia and stoves it to remove any sharpness and add richer flavor. Then they combine it with 19 year-old Perique to add deep sweetness and spice. Finally, the tobacco is pressed into a flake and served as a broken flake. The result is moderately sweet with depth that's unusual for this type of blend. VaPer fans will love this, and folks who think traditional VaPers are too sharp may find this flake tobacco to suit their tastes.

Let me just say that I can't stand it. Everything I dislike in a tobacco is present. First, it smells like ass. Seriously, it smells like feces. The tine note LITERALLY smells like poop. Secondly, it smokes VERY wet. It is hard to keep lit, and it smokes much wetter than most aromatics even though it's supposed to be a Vapur.

Finally, it's taste is very spicy. I don't mind a bit of spice, but it overwhelms both the Virginias and the Perique. It's odd that it does.
This one's a no-go for me guys,
This isn't a serious review, it reads more like a Twitter tweet from a 16 year old. If you are going to pontificate about a well loved tobacco, please be respectful, or better yet, just keep it to yourself.

blackpowderpiper

Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
This isn't a serious review, it reads more like a Twitter tweet from a 16 year old. If you are going to pontificate about a well loved tobacco, please be respectful, or better yet, just keep it to yourself.
That is indeed how it reads. Descriptive word choices such as crap, poop, feces, etc. Doesn't seem like a seasoned pipe smoker.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Smoked another bowl yesterday because I bought it, and I hate wasting money; It still smells and tastes like crap.
At this point in this thread you're just trying to insult people with this. Grow up if you can.
People have a right to express their opinions on a forum, including opinions that are framed in ways that you or I find disagreeable, ignorant, or infantile. It reflects on them, not on what's being reviewed.
That is indeed how it reads. Descriptive word choices such as crap, poop, feces, etc. Doesn't seem like a seasoned pipe smoker.
The OP claims to hav been smoking pipes for many years. Doesn't make him knowledgeable. Lots of peole go through life not developing expertise in anything. Yes, his vocabulary does leave something to be desired, but in fairness I and others have used the word crap from time to time. It's just that we also had more useful descriptives in our quivers as well, and applied them.
Maybe he's from Reddit. The level of social skill displayed suggests it.

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I'm still smoking the 2020 Cringle Flake, it's deepened and melded wonderfully. Easier to smoke too, as I find Virginias to withstand retaining their flavor at a drier moisture content after they've had some time.

I've read great things about the '21, and it sounds like '22 is a variation of the same theme - I believe I will love both of them. I tend to let brighter VAs age longer before I crack 'em then anything with Darker VAs.

From a purely selfish standpoint, I would like to see a deviation from that theme, maybe a return back to a straight VA, maybe a plug, or perhaps a touch of Orientals (Katerini perique Cringle Flake?).

A guy can dream. The perique that's been used is fantastic.

Anyways I think Cringle Flake has been an honest effort, in this contemporary tobacco times, to make something really special and of high quality. The fact someone could have disdain for such an effort is of no surprise, humanity and all.