PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I can see where the perique has a barnyard-y note but I wouldn’t call it unpleasant. Everyone’s olfactory/taste sense is different so some may find it overpowering.

As far as aging Cringle, it really only needs time to marry, 6months to a year has been plenty in my experience to give an excellent smoke. More age won’t hurt it any but it’s fine “young” as the constituents are already aged.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Funny how subjective taste is. I enjoyed the 2022 offering a great deal. Regarding the tin aroma, Vapers in general are inclined to smell a bit like a barnyard. It's the mustiness coming from the Perique. In no way does it smell like feces to me.

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
Watch City 558 is another VaPer that I believe is also made with Sutliff tobaccos, and that is the only tobacco so far that has offended the wife before I lit up. Her exact phrase was “that literally smells like s***”. If the smell of this one is similar to 558 and the taste is in the ballpark, Sutliff has a winner in my book

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Tobacco blends, especially with Perique in them, will have an earthy, sweaty scent to them when the tin is opened. Welcome to the scent of a VaPer. I've likened the scent to sweaty gym socks, or jockstraps.

The matured reds that Sutliff still has, have something of that funky sweet rotten vegetable scent that McClelland matured red had. That will certainly add to the tin note. Personally, I love that pungent stink in a tobacco, as it suggests pleasures to come when the blend is smoked.

It's different strokes for different folks. A lot of blends that people extol, and that I've tried, have been boring mediocre misses, and a few have been home runs. Sutliff's Cringle Flakes have been a favorite for me, so that's all I need to know.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Perique is kind of a funny tobacco…

In my experience, what it’s blended with will make quite a difference in how it tastes and effects your taste buds when smoked. Plummy, fruity or cinnamon red hot. I think it also depends on your body chemistry, or what you might have had to eat recently.

Sometimes letting a blend rest for a while helps.

Level of moisture plays a role too. There are times when a blend that I’ve smoked many times will all a of a sudden turn on me, and I find it unpleasant. Then I leave it alone for a while and come back to it. If, over a period of time, it ain’t treating you right, then it’s time to move on.

AlanH

Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I can see where the perique has a barnyard-y note but I wouldn’t call it unpleasant. Everyone’s olfactory/taste sense is different so some may find it overpowering.

As far as aging Cringle, it really only needs time to marry, 6months to a year has been plenty in my experience to give an excellent smoke. More age won’t hurt it any but it’s fine “young” as the constituents are already aged.
I wonder at what point it will be past its peak? That is pretty old stuff in that blend to start with.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Tobacco blends, especially with Perique in them, will have an earthy, sweaty scent to them when the tin is opened. Welcome to the scent of a VaPer. I've likened the scent to sweaty gym socks, or jockstraps.

The matured reds that Sutliff still has, have something of that funky sweet rotten vegetable scent that McClelland matured red had. That will certainly add to the tin note. Personally, I love that pungent stink in a tobacco, as it suggests pleasures to come when the blend is smoked.

It's different strokes for different folks. A lot of blends that people extol, and that I've tried, have been boring mediocre misses, and a few have been home runs. Sutliff's Cringle Flakes have been a favorite for me, so that's all I need to know.
Cohibas are known for a barnyard smell, hay, grass, earth, manure, beauty is the nose of the beholder.

Ora Pro Nobis

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
I’m curious how long the OP has been smoking a pipe and what his prior experience with blends has been. To complain that a Virginia/perique is spicy seems to suggest that he isn’t familiar with perique. To say the tin note is “feces“—three times--suggests that he’s unfamiliar with tobacco aromas and processing, since no feces are actually present in the tin. To say that it smokes wet, without noting if he attempted to dry it at all or for how long suggests…well, you get the idea.

How many bowls were smoked? In pipes of how many different sizes/shapes?

Just doesn’t sound like the OP tried to understand this blend and why it was so unappealing to him. IOW, I’m not sure he learned anything meaningful about his own taste, at least based on the little that was shared.
Im 46, and have been smoking a pipe since I was 16. The blend sucked for me, but if you like it great. I know all about pipe/bowl rotation, smoking it fresh vs letting it dry etc. if you’re a fanboy of it great, but don’t assume that just because I hated it I’m some newb. That’s just being obtuse.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Im 46, and have been smoking a pipe since I was 16. The blend sucked for me, but if you like it great. I know all about pipe/bowl rotation, smoking it fresh vs letting it dry etc. if you’re a fanboy of it great, but don’t assume that just because I hated it I’m some newb. That’s just being obtuse.
Don't fall for the ruse! Well if you're going to use obtuse, I'm using ruse!

Reactions: Papamique

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Ha! In all seriousness, you are getting some bad advice here. You say this tobacco smells like feces to you. I disagree, but that’s not the point. Some say jar the dookie and wait 5 years. Others say pack the turd slightly differently in your pipe. Still others say that perhaps you should dry the stool a bit before you smoke it. You had it right from the beginning, it’s not for you and best move on.
This is the truth. Sell it or give it away and move on. There’s way too much baccy out there to try and save this relationship.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Not a fanboy at all. I haven’t tried it and won’t; it’s not something I have any interest in. I was commenting only on the content of the review, not the blend itself.

Sethology12

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2023
Richmond, Va
Well huh, cringle flake is still in stock. I've never tried it but if many of the connoisseurs of Virginia's on this board enjoy it I may buy some tins

Reactions: wyfbane