PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ora Pro Nobis

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
Hey boys, here's the latest of my pipe adventures; Cringle Flake 2022. For those who aren't familiar with it:

Sutliff Cringle Flake Holiday Edition 2022 Packaged Pipe Tobacco

Sutliff Cringle Flake Holiday Edition 2022 NEW​

When people talk about Virginia/Perique blends, depth of flavor usually isn't part of the conversation. Well, that's not true of this holiday's season's limited release from Sutliff - Cringle Flake. Before pressing it, Sutliff takes toasty red Virginia and stoves it to remove any sharpness and add richer flavor. Then they combine it with 19 year-old Perique to add deep sweetness and spice. Finally, the tobacco is pressed into a flake and served as a broken flake. The result is moderately sweet with depth that's unusual for this type of blend. VaPer fans will love this, and folks who think traditional VaPers are too sharp may find this flake tobacco to suit their tastes.

Let me just say that I can't stand it. Everything I dislike in a tobacco is present. First, it smells like ass. Seriously, it smells like feces. The tine note LITERALLY smells like poop. Secondly, it smokes VERY wet. It is hard to keep lit, and it smokes much wetter than most aromatics even though it's supposed to be a Vapur.

Finally, it's taste is very spicy. I don't mind a bit of spice, but it overwhelms both the Virginias and the Perique. It's odd that it does.
This one's a no-go for me guys,

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
I have 5 tins in the cellar but I don't expect to open one for another 5 years plus. I'm not worried. I like Sutliff, the blend has a good reputation and I'm confident any rough edges ought to be smoothed out with time.

Jar yours up and maybe you'll find you like it in a few years time.

F

fMf Piper

This is yet another tobacco as a new piper I have heard of, but have not tried. Feel free to send what's left my way! :LOL:

Just kidding. Honestly, it sucks when you buy a tobacco that just doesn't land with you.

Reactions: Scottmi
Mar 13, 2020
missouri
First impressions can be strange. I recommend you spend a little more time with it, how you prepare it, pack it, etc. before you make any solid judgements about it. And like others have said, jar it up and forget about it if you continue to find it offensive. You'd be surprised what some years in a jar can do.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Why, you looking for some new prospects? ;)

Ha! In all seriousness, you are getting some bad advice here. You say this tobacco smells like feces to you. I disagree, but that’s not the point. Some say jar the dookie and wait 5 years. Others say pack the turd slightly differently in your pipe. Still others say that perhaps you should dry the stool a bit before you smoke it. You had it right from the beginning, it’s not for you and best move on.

Ora Pro Nobis

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
Ha! In all seriousness, you are getting some bad advice here. You say this tobacco smells like feces to you. I disagree, but that’s not the point. Some say jar the dookie and wait 5 years. Others say pack the turd slightly differently in your pipe. Still others say that perhaps you should dry the stool a bit before you smoke it. You had it right from the beginning, it’s not for you and best move on.
A terd by any other name...sorta thing? LOL

Reactions: Fralphog

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I hated it as well and traded away my tins to a fellow forum member. I do have about half a tin sitting around that I dip into every so often to see if it's any better. When I say half a tin I literally mean it's still in the tin so it can dry out more. It's been open now for 3 months and isn't too dry by any means. It was a big miss for me and it has nothing to do with the fact that it's a Sutliff product. I'm currently smoking some 507-c with a year or so of age on it and it's absolutely fantastic.

heathandleaf

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2020
Tennessee
For whatever it's worth, I've had similar experiences with all Sutliff Crumble Cake presentations. Though I enjoy the flavor, they are less forgiving on my tongue and generally require 97 relights per bowl. Ha!

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
I've got 10 tins aging... if it is even remotely close to the 2020/2021 versions, I will love it. That being said, I do let my cringles age for close to a year before even cracking it open. My jar of 2021 smells like straight vinegar at this point... 🤌🤌🤌

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I love this blend. I was fortunate to be able to smoke it at a pipe club meeting on the evening it hit the online retailers. So, I knew what I was buying. I recently opened the one tin I have of the 2020 blend and like the 2022 better by a small margin. The retrohale is magical.

I will say that it is hard to get lit. I hesitate to dry it much, because it looses some flavor. And that makes for some tongue bite. I’m still trying different pipes and moisture levels.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I’m curious how long the OP has been smoking a pipe and what his prior experience with blends has been. To complain that a Virginia/perique is spicy seems to suggest that he isn’t familiar with perique. To say the tin note is “feces“—three times--suggests that he’s unfamiliar with tobacco aromas and processing, since no feces are actually present in the tin. To say that it smokes wet, without noting if he attempted to dry it at all or for how long suggests…well, you get the idea.

How many bowls were smoked? In pipes of how many different sizes/shapes?

Just doesn’t sound like the OP tried to understand this blend and why it was so unappealing to him. IOW, I’m not sure he learned anything meaningful about his own taste, at least based on the little that was shared.