PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Reminds me of the wine batch tasters who carry wineglasses cleaned only in baking soda and carefully scrub their palates before trying each batch. Do you have a specific favorite rolling paper to use with the hand rolled tasters?
The samples we get usually include a couple kilos of strips (whole leaf thrashed, which is how it comes when we buy 200kg cases; think big pieces of leaf, minus major stems), some shag-cut loose, and some (6 or 8) rolled cigarettes (which I think they just do on a little cigarette rolling machine like you can get in a tobacconist or, I guess, Wal-Mart). The first round of tasting really is just to exclude those things we know won't work, so we'll smoke some in a pipe and smoke part or all of one of the cigarettes. If we think it'll work, or we're otherwise intrigued, we'll smoke more in pipes. If we're seriously considering it, we'll process some of the strips into ribbon or flake in-house, so we have a closer sense of what the finished product might be like and how it might blend, but that's kind of a lot of work, so if we can easily exclude options early in the process, we do so (and, again, we like to smoke pipe tobacco, but this ain't the same thing; it can be an interesting process, but it's not how anyone would want to smoke tobacco).
More to your question though, I've never thought about the rolling papers. The cigarettes are a really easy way to separate what we want from what we know we don't want. Smoking that way isn't terribly pleasant, though.
Sykes

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Ya know it is times like this when my allergy to Red Virginia's really really sucks. I know I would love the taste, but the burn would be a bitch. I am going to buy 500 tins just so I can age it ten years and sell it back to Sykes for a stupid profit. :nana:

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
Bought a tin as an after thought. Now I'm really glad I did. The struggle will be when I get it in... do I open it right away or let it at as an unopened tin?

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
Glad I ordered when I did. 8 tins are coming my way. I plan to crack 1 right away and cellar the rest.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
We'll have to wait for Jim's review to come out before we find out what this amazing tobacco is truly like. Without the slightest shred of doubt, the review will be dead center, giving all of us a finely honed sense of what we'll be smoking. Problem is by the time anyone reads the review, the stock will be all sold out, and no one will be able to use the review as an aid in buying this new miracle tobacco. I bought a few tins, all the while wondering if I shouldn't buy ten more, and then ten more, and then ...and I realized that no matter how many I bought, it wouldn't be enough.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
And here's the miracle of our pipe-smoking world. How many of you noticed--and paid close attention--to Sykes informing forum members that although SP was out of it, P&C still had some in stock? Shades of "Miracle on 34th Street" when Macy's told customers that they could find just the item they were looking for at Gimbel's. Our retailers are amongst the finest people you're likely to find; they know it's more than just a business--it's service to the pipe-smoking community. Thank you, Sykes.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Eric, Jim reviewed Carolina Red a week prior to it's release.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-campd-carolina-red-flake-review
Since Sykes is a partial owner of C&D it's in his best interest to direct buyers to wherever the supply is.
Edit: It occurs that I may have just fallen in to a trap. I credit this to an extreme lack of coffee!

May 4, 2015
My local Tinder Box has two tins if anyone missed out and wants it. Not sure if they'd ship. If not, I'll help facilitate.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Man, someone on another forum said that it was hands down the best tobacco he ever smoked! I'll see for myself though, he sent me a few bowls to sample and it just arrived today.

May 4, 2015
The tins are 15 and change at the B&M. I might snag them and keep the tin I have coming to cellar.. Don't know. It's going to be hard to just stare at the one tin for a couple years without opening it. Would be easier if I had two more in the keep.

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
I just traded the awesome mctinner for a sample and it turns out my B&M here had a few tins too when I went today. I'll wait and see how I like the sample before I buy any.

Status
Not open for further replies.