PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
TicMG3Z.png

I enjoyed that... also looking forward to the return.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Keeping an open mind about this blend but it seems weird to see leaf harvested in 2015 used as a selling point.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Took the words right out of my mouth bigpond. 2015 Red Virginia doesn't seem too exciting. Anything special about these red Virginias sillyoldbear?

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I think we can trust Jim's review when it comes out. If you read enough of his reviews you can easily transpose them to what you like.
It will make a decent baseline for others.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Took the words right out of my mouth bigpond. 2015 Red Virginia doesn't seem too exciting. Anything special about these red Virginias sillyoldbear?
If it's Old Belt Virginia grown in soil like this, yeah, it can be pretty special:
1fb435f1-258b-4932-afac-3416441921d4.jpg

If you've had Christmas Cheer 2003 or 2000, you have some idea of how sweet and spicy it can be.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Today's the day. It might already be for sale for all I know. ;)
:puffpipe:

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
I ordered 10 from one place and 6 from another. 1 to open and smoke now. 15 to age in the cellar.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
So, here's the story, pretty much. We get tobacco samples on a regular basis that fit the nicotine, flavor and sugar profiles for each of our base components. Like every other tobacco manufacturer, we do this so that we can ensure a consistent product from crop to crop and year to year in the majority of what we make. We--and by we, I mean mostly Jeremy, unless he's really excited about something, then I actually mean we--smoke it very dry, on its own in a very clean pipe, and in hand rolled cigarettes. This is not terribly pleasant, but it's sort of like cupping coffee. You don't do it because it's fun, but because it's the best way to assess tobacco.
Anyway, this one came along and it was so very distinctive: nutty and creamy in a way most of the Reds we try just aren't. That made it a poor candidate for use as part of our blend of reds we use for most products, but it was so freakin' good that we bought a bunch, basically with this project (and perhaps a couple of others) in mind.
So, is it special because it's 2015? No. It's special because it's damn good.
And it's cool that it's all grown in Eastern North Carolina. And that's cool because it went from soil to tin without leaving the Carolinas.
Sykes

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Well I'm sold. I have been on lock down on tobacco purchases for the past 8+ months. But I think I can justify 2 tins of this stuff.
Thanks for the explanation on the origins of the red virginias Sykes.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Sykes, Ted & Jeremy.
You had me at Red Flake. Its nice to see it contained in the Carolinas also. I'm loving these small batches and I'm glad this one has enough tin production so everyone can get on board.
Keep up the good work!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
We--and by we, I mean mostly Jeremy, unless he's really excited about something, then I actually mean we--smoke it very dry, on its own in a very clean pipe, and in hand rolled cigarettes. This is not terribly pleasant, but it's sort of like cupping coffee. You don't do it because it's fun, but because it's the best way to assess tobacco.
This is a really neat insight into tobacco production. Reminds me of the wine batch tasters who carry wineglasses cleaned only in baking soda and carefully scrub their palates before trying each batch. Do you have a specific favorite rolling paper to use with the hand rolled tasters?

Status
Not open for further replies.