PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
For me the answer was clear from the moment I saw the thread title. I've got a dozen blends in regular rotation, and another 9 that I smoke from time to time, but the one and only blend that always scratches that "comfort tobacco" itch is Carter Hall.

It's not fussy to pack and light, it's not too sweet nor too earthy, and is always pleasant to smoke any time of the day or night and in any season of the year. It's basic and understated, but in all the right ways for the job.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I've gotten more miserly as time has gone on and my comfort tobaccos these days are relatively cheap bulks. Capstan? In this economy?!

C&D Derringer if I want a straight forward "pure" tobacco.
Sutliff Mocha Strips if I want something with some sauce.

I still smoke a lot of other blends but I burn through those two. I also used to smoke a lot of C&D's Folklore because it was so good but without a release this year I've cut back.

OwlTellYa

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2023
Upstate NY, USA
There are a number of these suggestions that I hope to try soon. But I just opened a tin of Seattle Pipe Club’s Mississippi River, and it might be a contender!

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
Like a lot of things it depends on my mood. Granger is one that comes to mind. Simple and tasty. I'm only a few bowls in but Sutliff RR match could become another.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I've asked hundreds to put their location in the profile, and most have, including the OP.

Here's How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Why not just make this mandatory when they sign up for an account?

jctapia

Lurker
Mar 12, 2024
Mexico
VaPer is where my heart lies for comfort. My dad used to have a tin of Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture around his office, so it became ingrained in my memories about what tobacco should smell like.

I have to say that it's a blend that gets me always in a nice rhythm for breath smoking and makes me wind down from the day's worries. The mild Nic hit from the last third of the bowl always leaves me clear and level-headed. As many blends I have available in the cellar and want to explore, Elizabethan is for sure a cornerstone (Now under Petersons)

A close second is dark-fired Kentucky. I cram some on a bent, large, bowled pipe without giving it much thought, knowing it will provide me with a blast of smoke. Mac Baren HH Bold Kentucky or Old Dark Fired fills the bill for me.

Happy piping!

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Still finding my groove, I picked up a pipe 16months ago, and have been looking for an all day, go-to blend the whole time. All I found is my taste changes, and that my draw to whole genres of tobaccos can go away (and come back).
Best I can share is what I’ve invested more than 4 ounces of (I’ve got probably 40 different blends on the shelf now).
In loose chronological order of one’s that have gotten “go-to” status for a few weeks at a time, starting recently:
-Irish Flake
-Dark Birdseye
-Match Victorian
-515RC1
-Doblone d’ Oro
-Yorktown
-507C
-Habana Daydream
-Match London Mixture
-Match EMP
-BLWB with some Match Windsor 805 (anise) mixed in

The last three I rarely touch now, and I only listed things I can get in bulk for a decent price. I’ve got many tins that I really like, but to be a “go to” it’s got y be something I can afford to grab a good spiny of when I do get it.

YMMV, and don’t get rid of anything. Try it again later.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I've started to become enamored with the Sutliff Crumble Cakes.
The Pipe Force line & Phantom Privateer, for example.
They've all been "comforting" in some oddly similar fashion...
Thinking I'd better dive into trying out the "Birds of a feather" series. Starting with Uno. I got most of them but think I skipped on one. Haven't tried them yet, but I've sure fallen for their crumble cakes in general.

Uruss

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2022
Everyone's going to have different answers, but what I would call my "comfort food" blends are:
• Mac Baren Navy Flake
• Mac Baren HH Burley Flake
• Savinelli Brunello Flake
• GLP Quiet Nights
• C&D Old Joe Krantz

An honorable mention is Sutliff Maple Shadows, which was a limited release, but if they made it a regular release, it would be on the list.

I don't smoke my "comfort food" blends too often (not counting Maple Shadows) because I'm still working through a backlog of flavor chasing, which is a list that's growing longer faster than I can make my way through it. Every time I get through one tin, there's three more that get added.
Maple shadows might've been my sleeper of the year. I didn't think it was going to be as good as it is

Reactions: sardonicus87

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Never really had "comfort food tobacco". Other than codger blends, I haven't smoked same tin twice. There are so many blends out there. Capt. Black Royal could be it, or Carter Hall. They two blends I smoke if I'm out of an idea.