PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I smoked cigarettes when I was sixteen and when I turned 20 I quit them cold turkey. But even after smoking for those four years, quitting was pretty difficult. I knew I had finally kicked the habit about a year later when cigarette smoke started to smell awful. For a while, even getting a whiff of someone's cigarette smoke indoors gave me a headache. That doesn't really happen anymore, but I still can't stand the smell of cigarettes.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I quit smoking at 29. I would quit for several weeks then go down to my local archery shop and get to talking with the guys. They all smoked for the most part back then. pretty soon one of them would offer me a smoke and I would take it. The first one or two tasted like I can only describe as burning plastic. If I kept it up after 3 or 4 all was good again and my lungs said awwwwwwwww. At that time I inhaled whatever I was smoking, pipes, cigars, cigarettes. Mostly I smoked cigarettes because time as an issue. I quit cigarettes for good when I returned to college and found the entire seen had changed in regards to smoking. It was a hassle at the time and I just quit. I had smoked filtered Marlboro and name brand cigarettes but on first smoke after laying off of them, they always tasted foreign. Go figure. That was in "79" Maybe it was the PH thing, I dunno. Kept a carton on the fridge for years after to remind myself I had quit, not that I had to quit. Finally the wife tossed them after asking me if I wanted to give them to someone.
Over 2 decades later when I returned to smoking it was cigars and pipes, from the start, it never tasted bad. I do not have to inhale to get the nic now, that being done orally. Now it is just pipes. :puffy:

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
It's over a year since I've had a cigarette and only occasionally do I get a whiff of one that smells oh so wonderful, mostly they smell of a dirty ashtray. Canadian cigs are much different than U.S. in that they're more of a straight Virginia. I absolutely loved U.S. cigarettes and quitting them would have been much harder I think.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Davet, congratulations on quitting them, it is tough. I do not know about the difference in Canadian and US tobacco but I take your word for it. Besides the nicotine craving, quitting them for me, was more about what to do with my hands during coffee breaks at work.
I was sitting in a tree stand about 3 years after I had quit cigarettes. I heard a zippo go clink and sure enough on the breeze floated the most alluring scent of a fresh cigarette smoked out of doors. Wow. I also loved the way a fresh pack of them smelled when first opened. But the plastic taste was always going to be there when I came back :lol:
Funny thing for me was about 2 or 3 weeks after quitting, anytime I was around one, for several years, I would get post nasal drip. My nose would start to run like a faucet, I would look around, and someone had lit up. It would be interesting to talk to a shrink about the whole experience. :wink:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Exports were unfiltered and I smoked them back in the 60s. Export A, Dark Blue were filtered and sold as a "medium" cigarette. The Light Blue were . . . "extra smooth?" I've not seen the "Export" for years. The "Dark Blue" is what I've found lately. The "Green" is what I usually buy these days when in Canada, sold as "Full Flavor."
I prefer MCDs though but, I usually run out somewhere on the road.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I remember we had two unfiltered that I remember, Export and Players "Plain". The loans manager at my bank was a little old lady that smoked Players Plain, lighting one off of the other and had a big overflowing ashtray on her desk. Ahh the good old days, smoking allowed everywhere.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Davet, in the oil company I first worked for, the ash tray got emptied once a day unless some smoker just did it. The company had amber glass sets of them that started out about a foot in diameter and nested in each other down to about 3". I had an old friend who contracted for the trash and computer cards and paper. He had full sets of them from grading through the trash cans output offsite as they bailed the paper. The major oil company must have purchased them by the hundreds of sets.
I can't imagine an ash tray a foot wide full of ashes setting around an office today without a 911 call. :mrgreen:
When I toured the Phillips home (Phillips 66) in Tulsa they had NOTES explaining how all the "smoking accessories" were there because that was the way it was when the home was occupied during the man's lifetime. The old folks must have smoked like freight trains because there was an ashtray standing or setting and table lighters everywhere you looked. I read his book and he sounded like a great guy. Not a saint, but the kind of man you knew had your back and would have been a great fishing buddy.

feloniousmonk

Lurker
Dec 28, 2015
Upstate NY
I'm fortunate to have never tried cigs. Dabbled with cigars on/off during the summer here & there. Just picked up the pipe after Christmas 2015.
Cigs is just a unfortunate addiction, I really feel for you guys. Cigars is a spring/summer fling & IMO it's pricey. Now pipes? This is a grand hobby that I am jumping in with both feet in the deep end.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
No tobacco product is healthful to be sure, but I smoke for the nicotine and depriving myself of oxygen can be quite the goo-goo rush at times. Grin.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It makes me cringe seeing all the butts lying on the ground at work. Makes me feel good about myself knowing that it's not me throwing them there anymore(key word)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Cigarette butts most likely come from the same people who throw beer cans out of the car, leave a trail of "Happy Meals" refuse along the highway and dump their old, washing machines in the ditch. My butts are field stripped, the filter deposited in a picket until I'm near a trash can. Pipe cleaners, empty tins and pouches are disposed of in the same manner.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I exclusively smoke American Spirits. I'm not delusional in believing them to be less dangerous, but prefer the taste and slow burn. They actually go out if if you put one down. The way I see it, smokers are likely to lose 5-10yrs of their life. With my back problems, I have no desire for those 5-10yrs. No thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.