Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
david-bowie.jpg

I take my words back, at least some

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The pipe supplanted MY cig smoking and nicotine delivery since about April 2014. Since I have hand rolled ONE cigarette using pipe tobacco just to see what it was like.

Not inhaling yet still receiving my nic requirement via mucosa seems to be much more enjoyable both physically and psychologically.

In the beginning, tobacco was just tobacco, and people put it into pipes, or ground it into snuff. Then came papers, and the same tobacco was put in pipes or rolled. Rollies were made for pipe smokers that just didn't have the time.

Now, the cigarette industry has engineered their tobacco by removing the essential oils, mixing chemicals into it, and rehydrating the pulp with the slurry. However, there are some cigarettes that use good tobaccos. And, many tobaccos are still crossover blends from rollies to the pipe.
If you dry your tobacco to crispy, grind it a tad in a coffee grinder, and roll it, they are tasty, as long as you don't inhale. I have tried rolling some latakia blends, and they taste a lot like those old Chesterfields that I used to love.
I hate all of the commercial cigarettes, evil money grubbing, gruff'n fubb'n... However, not all cigarettes are alike.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Even back when I would spring for the extra cost of Sobranie, Player's Navy Cuts, Turkish Specials, English Ovals, etc., etc., I never found a cigarette I thought tasted as good as smoking a pipe. However, I have never found a pipe that was as remotely as convenient as a cigarette, either.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I think back then cigarettes were made with much more quality tobaccos, but now cigarettes are made with preservatives and much lower grade tobacco, I think if you try to smoke cigarettes it is better to buy your own r.y.o tobacco and plus when you smoke the pipe you don't inhale and it is much better for you overall, I know some of my family members that smoke 2 pack of cigarettes a day, and they are 25 years old but they get tired fast when we go and play basketball or when we run.

Jan 8, 2013
I finally put cigarettes down for good last February. Almost a year now and I breathe better, taste better (that sounds weird)have more energy (usually but work is killing me lately) and I don't smell like a human ashtray anymore. I'm so glad I put them down. Never again.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I was a 2 pack a day smoker. Cut that way back and now it's a cig here and there for convenience. I'm not a fan of the smell that permeates everything, but having smoked for a fair portion of my young life, it's also not "putrid" to me. There are better smells though.
Let me ask this though, of those that still partake. (Warren, I'm curious about your input) What do you consider "the best" commercially made cigarettes in relation to quality, flavor, etc. I know Dunhill has been praised, as well as Nat Sherman.
I have tried the Sherman Naturals. Well, they don't taste anything like other commercial cigs, but I also suspect it is because they taste like actual tobacco and are not loaded with additives that impart flavor, etc.
Just figured it might be interesting to see a positive side to this conversation.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
It took me years to quit and dozens of attempts.I first started by quitting certain habits, like no after meals cigarettes, then only cigarettes with drinks, etc. When I was finally ready to quite entirely, I used patches, liquid nicotine for snorting (man what a blast) and Chantix. Chantix triggered some vivid dreams but it also reduced cigarette cravings to a manageable level.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
scraps: Nat Sherman "MCD" is my cigarette of choice. No white paper, great taste, a bit sweet, and they can need a relight as the paper is not "charged" the butt can die out in the ashtray or fist when idle. I hesitate to rate them "the best." I still miss "Picayunes" and haven't tried many brands. "Bela Mores" will give you a nic hit but one can only find them in Russia and they are messy to smoke, short of tobacco (a tasty Oriental I think) with a long "draw" tube (no filter). They'll get you going in the morning though.
I'm not pushing cigarettes, I quit once for five years, hated the taxes and waste of "regular, continuous burn" cigarettes. They are convenient, tasty and, after a trek up a hillside hauling gear, a nice reward while settling in and preparing to shoot. So is a pipe, it's a matter of choice at the moment. I do not look on the pipe as a replacement for a cigarette, nor the obverse, each has a time and place with regard to satisfaction in my opinion. And I can't smoke either one when up-wind, so can go hours without either when circumstances require such.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
They are convenient, tasty and, after a trek up a hillside hauling gear, a nice reward while settling in and preparing to shoot
Cigarettes are convenient and immediately gratifying. Those English ones misterlowercase posted look like they'd be fun.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
nat shermans the black one are really good, I just think that there are some cigarettes that are made really cheap and the quality is not good and it has lots of chemicals on it.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
If cigs weren't out to get me I'd still be smokin' like the Orange Blossom Special. I loved smoking cigarettes but they most definitely were out to get me so my pipes and snus satisfy my nic needs now. Not tempted to go back at all but I did like them, a lot.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
As are some pipe blends per some of the members.
I just think anyone who makes a snap judgement based on one smoke, pipe, cigar, or cigarette is short changing themselves. There are some fine cigars, cigarettes and pipe blends out there. The customer just has to seek them out. To each his own . . . . I suppose. I certainly think posting one's inability to handle a cigarette on a public forum leaves one open to the questioning of their manhood. :rofl: I wrote that tongue in cheek, knowing that some will take it personally.
Regarding "Bela More" cigarettes, there is nothing except the quality of the tobacco that is impressive. Typical SSR build. They have a very loose pack, constantly dribble bits and pieces up the tube as you inhale, poor assembly between the tube and paper. These cigarettes are built for the broke, vodka imbiber (read almost every Russian male in the Far East). But, they are tasty and will take you right to your knees first thing in the morning.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
There are some fine cigars, cigarettes and pipe blends out there. The customer just has to seek them out. To each his own . . . . I suppose.
Indeed, I suppose too. There are consequences for every action and nothing is subjective.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Without having to denigrate cigarettes, we can say that pipe and cigar smoking results in more flavor and a steadier dose of brain-nurturing nicotine.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
There are some fine cigars, cigarettes and pipe blends out there. The customer just has to seek them out. To each his own . . . . I suppose.
I think many of us became pipe smokers precisely because we have zero interest in cigarettes: in theory there could be good quality cigarettes available but I have no interest in finding them.

Status
Not open for further replies.