PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
For those who don't remember, or who have chosen to forget, several years ago I did a highly scientific test of a pipe purchased for $3 on AliExpress.

After much soul searching I have decided that *now* was the time to revisit the topic. I've bought several watches on AliExpress recently, and have been really impressed by their build quality. Maybe the cheaper offerings on there have gotten better over the past few years? Or has it just been dumb luck?

Enter this stunning beauty, reminiscient of an early Brigham, or some of the later work of the famous carver Bĵôřň Ŝvēŋĵøłł§éń.

Screenshot_20240131_185347_Chrome.jpg

So yes, it is clearly a high end pipe designed for discriminating individuals.

It is advertised as a solid wood (the title says Sandalwood, but later in the listing it says Ebony Wood), and what's more comes with a ton of extra stuff:

Screenshot_20240131_202237_Chrome.jpg

I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the one piece of "pipe crack" that is included, but the "Exquisite pipe bag" sounded like a steal.

So will this $13.64 CDN pipe stand up to its much more expensive common counterparts? Will it be able to endure the series of tests meant to model real life pipe use? Or are we just having fun with a cheap pipe?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
For those who don't remember, or who have chosen to forget, several years ago I did a highly scientific test of a pipe purchased for $3 on AliExpress.

After much soul searching I have decided that *now* was the time to revisit the topic. I've bought several watches on AliExpress recently, and have been really impressed by their build quality. Maybe the cheaper offerings on there have gotten better over the past few years? Or has it just been dumb luck?

Enter this stunning beauty, reminiscient of an early Brigham, or some of the later work of the famous carver Bĵôřň Ŝvēŋĵøłł§éń.

View attachment 284150

So yes, it is clearly a high end pipe designed for discriminating individuals.

It is advertised as a solid wood (the title says Sandalwood, but later in the listing it says Ebony Wood), and what's more comes with a ton of extra stuff:

View attachment 284186

I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the one piece of "pipe crack" that is included, but the "Exquisite pipe bag" sounded like a steal.

So will this $13.64 CDN pipe stand up to its much more expensive common counterparts? Will it be able to endure the series of tests meant to model real life pipe use? Or are we just having fun with a cheap pipe?
Will this one get smoked?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
Sandalwood sounds kind of dodgy for a pipe. Might leave a funny taste in your mouth. I think ebony wood is known to cause contact dermatitis. Anyway, have fun and report back.

Reactions: Elric