PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I had a "friend" I had known for many years. He seemed like a nice enough guy but I noticed that he seemed to be obsessed with killing things (aka, hunting). The walls of his den are covered with dead animal heads. Any chance he gets he goes on a killing trip. And he has a dog, who it seems only redeeming quality is that it kills anything it can get hold of. You get the idea....

I had noticed that when he had been at our house he avoided our cats. But then a while back he came by and we were having a chat when my little buddy Oscar walked by him and rubbed his leg (Oscar wants to be friends with everyone). I was amazed when he gave Oscar a kick and remarked he hated all cats and would just as soon shoot them as look at them.

You will not be surprised to know he is no longer a "friend" and good riddance. puffy
In my experience there’s far more people need shooting than any other type of animal. He sounds like a total ass. Good riddance indeed.

Reactions: romaso

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I had a "friend" I had known for many years. He seemed like a nice enough guy but I noticed that he seemed to be obsessed with killing things (aka, hunting). The walls of his den are covered with dead animal heads. Any chance he gets he goes on a killing trip. And he has a dog, who it seems only redeeming quality is that it kills anything it can get hold of. You get the idea....

I had noticed that when he had been at our house he avoided our cats. But then a while back he came by and we were having a chat when my little buddy Oscar walked by him and rubbed his leg (Oscar wants to be friends with everyone). I was amazed when he gave Oscar a kick and remarked he hated all cats and would just as soon shoot them as look at them.

You will not be surprised to know he is no longer a "friend" and good riddance. puffy

Definitely sounds like a rude SOB---kick one of my cats and boy howdy it would be on in a way the kicker never anticipated---but the irony is impossible to ignore.

Because cats are obligate carnivores who are designed for, equipped for, and "obsessed with killing things (aka, hunting)" more than any other commonly encountered animal.

But we don't hate them for it or find it off-putting in principle, we buy mouse toys and laser pointers for them so they can entertain us with it. Their hunting/prey drive is the root cause of the behavior we find so endearing.

Until it isn't:

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
How much cat hair do you think you have smoked over the years? I’ve given up trying to get every one I find out of the bowl now. Probably smoked an entire coat worth by now. Doesn’t help that they think my pipe collection is an assault course or a shortcut to my lap.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
What are you guys paying for a cat's dental cleaning? I just got an estimate and the low end is $1600!

I like my vet, but she is in the fancy part of town. Is that a reasonable cost these days?

• Wow
Reactions: FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
What are you guys paying for a cat's dental cleaning? I just got an estimate and the low end is $1600!

I like my vet, but she is in the fancy part of town. Is that a reasonable cost these days?
For that $ you could fly to a different state with the cat, have a short vacation, pay a reasonable fee, and still save $!

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England

Best thing is to feed them hard food as the majority of their diet. It’s much better for their teeth than wet food. My two are eleven years old and neither have any plaque or had any dental issues at all.