PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
In watching this unfold, it became apparent that the winner was not necessarily going to be a blend reflective of popular demand. Like a primary race in the world of politics, alliances were formed around various causes that seemed to be temporary and momentary. I do believe a doctoral study could be formulated around the phenomena that occurs as winners and losers are chosen. There might even be a mathematical formula that emerges to help express the results and the process. Just fascinating. Thank yous to everyone who participated. Very entertaining.
You're definitely right; it's quite reflective of how we as people work, whether it's politics or dating or anything else. The interactions that we see sway - if not dictate - our actions. If we shamelessly bias the blend we favor, we're apt to create animosity that smacks it back down.

I joked about being a politician intermittently throughout this post, but were this an election, I'd be more emblematic of the media. My goal was to keep you engaged, regardless of the outcome. To do so, I tried to sway votes by highlighting various blends with jokes or prods to keep the action going.

On a small scale, it's all in good fun. But you're right... if these rules apply to choosing leaders (and they do), then it's pretty fucked up (which it is).

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
You're definitely right; it's quite reflective of how we as people work, whether it's politics or dating or anything else. The interactions that we see sway - if not dictate - our actions. If we shamelessly bias the blend we favor, we're apt to create animosity that smacks it back down.

I joked about being a politician intermittently throughout this post, but were this an election, I'd be more emblematic of the media. My goal was to keep you engaged, regardless of the outcome. To do so, I tried to sway votes by highlighting various blends with jokes or prods to keep the action going.

On a small scale, it's all in good fun. But you're right... if these rules apply to choosing leaders (and they do), then it's pretty fucked up (which it is).
It dawned on me that the question we so often ask, “How did we end up with these leaders?” was being played out by this game. Just as importantly, the patterns that emerged we refective of a social group think. Just fascinating. I wish I had access to an economics professor with a deep mathematical understanding of political mechanics. Again, thx for putting this together.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Here‘s another question, now that we have a winner, if the forum was polled, how popular and likely would the winner be - so much so that smokers would be motivated to have it in their regular rotation? Does this choice reflect the expression of the general pipesmagazine participants? My guess is there would be a huge gap in the approval rating.

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
It dawned on me that the question we so often ask, “How did we end up with these leaders?” was being played out by this game. Just as importantly, the patterns that emerged we refective of a social group think. Just fascinating. I wish I had access to an economics professor with a deep mathematical understanding of political mechanics. Again, thx for putting this together.
Wish I could give -2’s at the ballot box!!

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Here‘s another question, now that we have a winner, if the forum was polled, how popular and likely would the winner be - so much so that smokers would be motivated to have it in their regular rotation? Does this choice reflect the expression of the general pipesmagazine participants? My guess is there would be a huge gap in the approval rating.
That's a great question too, and I think electioneering sheds light on it. The main factor when parties narrow in on a candidate is electability. The problem with electability is that it doesn't exist. Purely stated electability is just an indicator of who voters think other voters will prefer. It's a form of detrimental self-negotiation.

Winners are generally agreeable when compared with the swath of candidates in the table, but they're rarely an active favorite of anybody. For instance, I've still never met an actual Mitt Romney fan, though he had no problem sweeping the primary back in 2012.

Reactions: telescopes

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I must be seriously retarded, because I didn't know any of this stuff was going on. Had no idea of any alliances etc. Maybe I would have a better understanding if anyone actually voted for my fucking blend, eh guys? The venerable @woodsroad not withstanding of course, unlike the rest of you philistines, a man with a refined palate and superior taste. Lol!

In all seriousness, thanks to @jbfrady for organising this. It was an enjoyable game, but more than that, his daily reportage was wonderfully entertaining. But next year, please, please, please, no more +2s, you have to ban that shit ;)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
@jbfrady

Thank you for this game and to everyone else who participated. It was a lot of fun, and I greatly enjoyed your write ups at the end/start of each day.

@sablebrush52

Now that the game is officially finished, I’m curious who you thought the winner was going to be?
I had two in my sites, Rougaroux and Dark Birdseye, which is a favorite of mine.
Mentioning that I had an idea what would win bumped off Rougaroux, leaving my favorite.
I want to thank jbfrady for leading the firing squad.
Fascinating.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Only tobacco not to get a down vote. Kinda like the NZ football team at the 2010 World Cup, sure we didn’t make it passed qualifications, but we never lost a game and we drew with the winners. Just sayin’.
Don’t think it got any up votes either though, that’s why it disappeared. :)
IMG_4721.gif

A big shout out to @jbfrady for giving us this thread, surprised how much I enjoyed it. A little laugh at the end of the day is always welcome & thanks to his administrative prowess, he kept the chuckles coming. Good show sir!👍

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Don’t think it got any up votes either though, that’s why it disappeared. :)
View attachment 287002

A big shout out to @jbfrady for giving us this thread, surprised how much I enjoyed it. A little laugh at the end of the day is always welcome & thanks to his administrative prowess, he kept the chuckles coming. Good show sir!👍
I believe it received 5 up votes. Feel free to go through the 63 pages to double check.