PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I can hardly believe it myself, but early this morning the game came to a sudden yet inevitable close. To be honest, I was pulling for Peterson/Dunhill Flake at the end there, since I’ve got several tins of it in my cellar. It lost, but I still popped open a tin today and smoked a bowl in its memory. But… ahem...

By the powers vested in me – by nobody in particular, I might add – I hereby crown the winner of Best Blend of 2023 to be… Dark Bird’s Eye, by @gawithhoggarth.

I’d like to thank everyone who nominated a blend, as well as everyone who stuck around day after day to cast their votes and everybody who lurked in the corner and watched the action unfold like so many spiders on the web. When I began this game, I figured it would take on a life of its own. I imagined that others might step in with updated figures and snarky remarks and that, little by little, day by day, I’d become a mere spectator of my own creation. I’d anticipated popping in from time to time with a snide comment or two, but I didn’t presuppose there’d be any great level of involvement on my part.

In that regard, I’m glad I was dead wrong. It has been an unforeseen pleasure taking a more active role in this game with all of you, steering this dysfunctional ship in which we’ve found ourselves. More than that, it’s been a pleasure running the numbers and participating in the wanton numeric slaughter that morphed and solidified into our little jumbled corner of the internet.

I’ve tried to keep this funny when I could, and at least moderately amusing when I couldn’t. You’d never believe how difficult it is to come up with would-be zingers day after day, hoping to extract far-off chuckles from a group of folks you’ve never met. It’s given me a further appreciation for what late-night comedy writers do, that much is for certain, but I’m glad it happened nonetheless.

This time a year ago, I had no clue that this forum existed. I’d never heard of the Pipes Magazine Radio Show and to my shame I didn’t even recognize the name Brian Levine when he called me to answer an email query I’d sent him. I count myself fortunate to have been pulled into the gravity of this sphere and this community. I’m still pretty damned surprised that I was interviewed on the show and to this day I don’t feel that I’ve yet earned that opportunity, but I’m trying to do so one step at a time.

I’m thankful to all of you who dedicated a few minutes out of each day to engage and to participate in this nonsensical game created on the whim of a new user to this site. It’s meant plenty to me, so if you see me at a pipe show, by all means, please introduce yourself and remind me of your screen name. I’ll remember you. Of that, I can nearly promise.

Sorry to have ranted (but it’s my trademark if you haven’t noticed), and I apologize for getting all sentimental and whatnot. Anywho, I guess it’s time that we all got back to our lives. And I guess I should go snag a sample of Dark Bird’s Eye since it just won my competition and I’ve never tried it.

Cheers, my friends.

(P.S. to the mods, if you wouldn't mind leaving the thread open a day or two, just in case anybody wants to leave any comments but hasn't gotten to do so yet. Timezones and whatnot... Thanks!)

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I can hardly believe it myself, but early this morning the game came to a sudden yet inevitable close. To be honest, I was pulling for Peterson/Dunhill Flake at the end there, since I’ve got several tins of it in my cellar. It lost, but I still popped open a tin today and smoked a bowl in its memory. But… ahem...

By the powers vested in me – by nobody in particular, I might add – I hereby crown the winner of Best Blend of 2023 to be… Dark Bird’s Eye, by @gawithhoggarth.

I’d like to thank everyone who nominated a blend, as well as everyone who stuck around day after day to cast their votes and everybody who lurked in the corner and watched the action unfold like so many spiders on the web. When I began this game, I figured it would take on a life of its own. I imagined that others might step in with updated figures and snarky remarks and that, little by little, day by day, I’d become a mere spectator of my own creation. I’d anticipated popping in from time to time with a snide comment or two, but I didn’t presuppose there’d be any great level of involvement on my part.

In that regard, I’m glad I was dead wrong. It has been an unforeseen pleasure taking a more active role in this game with all of you, steering this dysfunctional ship in which we’ve found ourselves. More than that, it’s been a pleasure running the numbers and participating in the wanton numeric slaughter that morphed and solidified into our little jumbled corner of the internet.

I’ve tried to keep this funny when I could, and at least moderately amusing when I couldn’t. You’d never believe how difficult it is to come up with would-be zingers day after day, hoping to extract far-off chuckles from a group of folks you’ve never met. It’s given me a further appreciation for what late-night comedy writers do, that much is for certain, but I’m glad it happened nonetheless.

This time a year ago, I had no clue that this forum existed. I’d never heard of the Pipes Magazine Radio Show and to my shame I didn’t even recognize the name Brian Levine when he called me to answer an email query I’d sent him. I count myself fortunate to have been pulled into the gravity of this sphere and this community. I’m still pretty damned surprised that I was interviewed on the show and to this day I don’t feel that I’ve yet earned that opportunity, but I’m trying to do so one step at a time.

I’m thankful to all of you who dedicated a few minutes out of each day to engage and to participate in this nonsensical game created on the whim of a new user to this site. It’s meant plenty to me, so if you see me at a pipe show, by all means, please introduce yourself and remind me of your screen name. I’ll remember you. Of that, I can nearly promise.

Sorry to have ranted (but it’s my trademark if you haven’t noticed), and I apologize for getting all sentimental and whatnot. Anywho, I guess it’s time that we all got back to our lives. And I guess I should go snag a sample of Dark Bird’s Eye since it just won my competition and I’ve never tried it.

Cheers, my friends.

(P.S. to the mods, if you wouldn't mind leaving the thread open a day or two, just in case anybody wants to leave any comments but hasn't gotten to do so yet. Timezones and whatnot... Thanks!)
Thank you for being our host. It was fun.

P.S. what episode where you interviewed?

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Just use this ranking 😎
I believe our illustrious winner wants to see a full ranking, with his baby left as the lone survivor, its name writ large. In this thread you've put in more work than Hercules did when he set about his 12 labours in his quest for immortality, no doubt about it. But in the immortal words of Henry V, 'once more unto the breach dear friends, once more'.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I believe our illustrious winner wants to see a full ranking, with his baby left as the lone survivor, its name writ large. In this thread you've put in more work than Hercules did when he set about his 12 labours in his quest for immortality, no doubt about it. But in the immortal words of Henry V, 'once more unto the breach dear friends, once more'.
Et tu, Brute? :eek:

Fine lol. Here we go. One last reporting before the over and out...

Final Scoreboard
Living
:
Dark Bird's Eye - GH - 5

Deceased: (in order of departure)

Grape - Captain Black
Match 20 - Sutliff
Hogshead - Seattle Pipe Club
Royal - Captain Black
Royal Yacht - Peterson
Exclusive - C&D
Stratfordshire - C&D
Mixture #79 - Sutliff
Aged Burley Flake - Solani
From Beyond - C&D
Pegasus - C&D
Holly's Non Plus Ultra - Dan
Dorchester - Esoterica
No. 69 - Peter Henrichs
Maple Shadows - Sutliff
American Cut Plug - Watch City
Squadron Leader - SG
Luxury Navy Flake - Peter Stokkebye
Lancer Slices - F&K
Wintertime Flake - SG
Black - Sillem's
Skiff Mixture - SG
Red Virginia - Robert McConnell
Oriental Silk - C&D
Ennerdale - GH
Golden Sliced - Orlik
Bob's Chocolate Flake - GH
Dockworker - HU
Anomalous - Sutliff
Full Virginia Flake - SG
Brown Twist #4 - SG
Rich Dark Honeydew - GH
Rouxgaroux - WCC
1989 - Erik Stokkebye
Flake - Peterson (Dunhill)

At the close of last night, DBE was left with a total of two hit points. Any vulture could've swung in and preemptively ended the contest outright. Instead, a couple'a ne'erdowells with their healing spells popped in and boosted Dark Bird's Eye like Mario chomping on just the right kinda mushroom. Thus, it was too late for ye ol' Flake to play ketchup.

At the game's outset, @cshubhra offered to sell his votes to the highest bidder and nary a voice spoke out. "Fine," he said to himself. "Fine, fine, fine! I see how it is. You bitches gonn' learn!" And wouldn't you know it? Those (we) bitches done learnt.

Last edited:

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Thank you @jbfrady. I nominate you for honorary lifer status. WTFN? C'MON!!!!!

I'm a little sad I missed the final battle. I was away on business. Just want to say:

Dark Birdseye RULES!!!!!!!!

(Shoutout to @cshubhra! High five buddy!)

For Posterity, here's my hot take, take it or leave it:

My goal was to keep you engaged, regardless of the outcome. To do so, I tried to sway votes
This is what killed my nominee Pegasus, early on. Then I understood the game. The fix was in. The trick was not to draw the attention of the media. I pushed Ennerdale hard to distract attention from Dark Birdseye, which I secretly pulled for all along. I swear it worked! I watched in case anybody downvoted it, but it never really seemed at risk (thanks to @cshubhra's strategically subtle, consistent support for it.) I'm pretty proud of the fact that I avoided upvoting it, while chipping away at those Virginia babies. I also never downvoted Rouxgaroux out of principle, because it's awesome. I only really downvoted blends I've never tried, because all tobacco is awesome! And this contest was no more than an interesting social experiment. But who knew? Experiments are awesome! And @jbfrady is awesome!! And Dark Birdseye is awesome!!!!! And Pegasus is awesome!!!!!!!! 🖕🖕 nnnn

Last edited: