PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
To lifesizehobbit, a cherry aro your wife will love, is Cult Blood Red Moon. It has the best room note of anything I have tried. It is also the best smoking cherry blend(IMHO).
Gnome - I will add it to my list of future TAD.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
As for myself, I will not associate with aromatic smokers and believe any tobacco with a food in its name should be banned, and the blenders of such abominations made to write 1,000 times "I am terrible person and a defiler of tobacco."
Similarly, those who taint their whisky with ice or water or ::shudder:: soda should have all their spirits seized from them and be permitted only ever to drink warm ginger beer from a dirty cup.
Eat your steak anything other than rare? Well then a pox on you and your spawn -- if indeed you are even man enough to put a baby in your woman's belly. You will no longer be permitted to dishonor the sacrifice of honest cattle by charring their flesh beyond recognition. Your diet is henceforth limited to cream of wheat and boiled Brussel sprouts.
And, lastly, if you drink decaffeinated coffee, get ye hence from the company of decent folk, for you have no place among them. You are cast into the deepest, dankest, vilest realms. Sleep well.
And can you imagine? My wife says my consumption of tobacco, whisky, rare meat and strong coffee is responsible for making me grumpy sometimes. Silly, right?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Cult Blood Red Moon, I keep hearing about this blend and it is a bitch to find. Is it really that good? If it is I will find some and give it a try.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Trying to assess the quality of other guys' pipe smoking habits is like trying to assess the quality of their sex or financial lives. We would all somewhat disapprove of someone else's doings, but if they are okay with it, we should be too. We all appreciate the right to be left alone. My only complaint with aromatics is, as mentioned, in recent years they've caused some bite (sting/burn) in my mouth, whereas even full strength non-aros don't cause a problem. Non-aro likes me better.

At our pipe club meeting last night, I just tried some Bat in the Hat by F&K. It was ok. I could taste the aromatic quality, unlike the tasteless ones, but the taste just didn't appeal to me.
But, when I tried the MacBaren's Halburg Green, wow. Berries, sour apples, it was like smoking a Jolly Rancher hard candy. It was great, but still, I just don't find myself craving candy smoke.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Andy, that was really funny. I totally remember that episode of South Park that the guy in the video was talking about.

Coppercab became so famous from that rant that south park actually made an episode where cartman did the rant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkbawBBj6_0
I don't know if he's a pipe smoker or not but here is a picture of him with a pipe
12106851_493285907542554_3337927103841662749_n.jpg

I ripped on myself, as I set here smoking some Bat in the Hat. What blend smokers have we not ripped on at some point? It's all about having fun. If we can't laugh at ourselves, feel free to laugh at me. I happen to be a redheaded stepchild. Well... what is left is mostly grey, but I'm still a redhead at heart.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
LMAO. Cheers to Andy for posting the video, never seen or heard of this boy before, gave me a right old belly laugh it did. I haven't seen south park for years, & then I see the cartman video, marvellous. On a serious note, worrying to see in the U.S. 'Gingers' are allowed to be Christians, I mean come on! It's been a long time since I read the bible, but I don't recall any gingers in it. Not one of the twelve apostles was, I'm certain. Was Mary Magdalene a redhead? I'll have to check. Thanks again for posting the video,best laugh I've had in a long time.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I would not say I 'graduated' from aromatics, it's just that my tastes evolved from the heavily cased Cavendish aromatics I started with.
Me too.
Fact is, nothing is subjective.
It's all a matter of learning and being receptive.
That being said, someone else on "the path" deserves some understanding of where they are and what their needs are. Pipe-smoking is not a calling or quest for many people.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
"Show me someone who says they've "graduated" from aromatics to natural unflavored blends and I'll show you someone who is ignorant of the facts, hasn't really graduated and won't get a diploma."
Well said, Pipestud.
The attitude that aromatics in total are inferior blends for the "advanced smoker", is in my opinion, a slippery slope some people lay out for new smokers. As human beings we all have no problem developing our prejudices about many things :D Let the new smokers form their own opinions.
Saying you do not like a flavor or blend is ok and consitutes a great deal about what this site is here for. To me it is not being helpful to new smokers to make them feel smoking a certain type of tobacco indicates to all the forum they are not "cultured".
I think when someone with the smoking experience Harris has gives a green light to an aromatic it encourages new smokers to realize the world of pipe smoking is wide with possibilities.

mikkins

Lurker
Jun 6, 2015
I am amused to find that my pipe smoking chops could be judged by whether or not I smoke an aromatic pipe tobacco. I smoke many brands, some aromatic, some not. My favorite currently is East India Trading Company's Officer Club. I buy 4-5 tins every other week. I also enjoy the standard Captain Black series, and often mix the Cherry and Original together. Does this make me something less than a serious pipe smoker? More to the point, why would one even care what others think of what one enjoys?
I smoke a pipe for enjoyment, not to impress some self proclaimed aficionado.

I say all us aromatic loving heretics unite, fill our pipe with whatever strikes our fancy and laugh at those who will fret over the room note not being pure enough for their liking.

Light up, sit back, and enjoy!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I bought a few tins of the Blood Red Moon and smoked my first bowl this morning. I had trouble identifying the cherry as the flavoring is pretty strong. Once I got a third of the way down, the topping toned down a little and it was an interesting smoke. I think with more bowls smoked, I will be able to identify more of the flavors.
Now the fact that the name Blood Red Moon goes nicely with the red headed step child, this could be official smoke for them.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I thought Red Headed Step Child was the name of an aromatic pipe tobacco as well wich is the reason why I didn't bother looking at this thread but it kept climbing back up to the top of the forum so it peaked my curiosity. Sounds like something C & D would use for a name.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I thought between a serious comment and a funny one. I chose funny.
We have 15 horses. I can feed them GRASS all day, but I know when I hear hooves stomping and voices naying through out the barn that my wife is dishing out their sweet feed. If your smoke makes your foot stomp with joy and makes you say WOW ... Its the right smoke!
As far as the sliding in of sarcasm towards aro smokers and their lack of man hood I have a proposition. See my Icon of me. I Frame, Trim, Roof, Paint, and Tile. Come to Hertford NC and I will show you who the Sheila is. :nana: LOL

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Being of two minds always, I throw in the serious comment as well.
I started with an aro, and like most aro smokers don't like the soap that comes with so many blends. It took me two and a half LOONG LOST YEARS though to find
- Stolkelby Lux Birds Eye Flake, or Navy Flake, (Stomping Hoof)

- A lot of trial and error to find G&H Kendal Dark. (When I really need a cigarette, or extra srtong smoke)

- And it has still not been long enough to figure out how to smoke a straight VA with out sending my tounge straight to burning HELL.
After three years of smoking a pipe though I have found that Burley Ribbon cut is the best thing for almost any Aro. Including Vitamin "N" and GOOP Removal, and [(Dark Birds Eye + Kendal Dark)60 + 40% a Sweet Black Cav] = the best of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.