PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I don't have an issue with anyone who enjoys smoking aromatics. I consider aromatics the advertising department for pipesmoking. Most people remember an old relative that smokes some great smelling blend and has fond memories of it.
But here's where my issue with aromatic starts. People with those memories that look to take up the pipe for the first time most ALWAYS start off with an aromatic blend heavily cased with ________ topping. They light it up in a new briar they bought with the expectation of great flavors and being transported back into those memories, but instead they get a mouthful of dissapointment and pain.
People that start smoking a pipe really should learn smoking technique on a non aromatic, and after they've learned how to pack a bowl and smoking cadence should the move on to aromatics. Because it's then and only then can they coax the very subtle notes of flavoring out if aromatics.
Also new pipe smokers need to understand that most aromatics like for example, a vanilla topped one, won't be getting flavors like their smoking a bowl of ice cream.
In my opinion, smoking aromatic tobacco for the first time, rarely meets expectations. I've always said, the best way to enjoy an aromatic, is to sit in close proximity of somebody smoking one while you're NOT smoking anything.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...tarheel1 noted that his homeless vets, to whom he supplied tobacco and pipes, nearly all like aromatics best, for starters, so that's a testimonial from those who've been there. Fellow vets.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Good point, defargin. While trying to enlist a lady friend into the hobby, shaintiques and I started her off with a selection of both tobacco types, although I, an aro fan, recommended the non aros until she learned the basics.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Like most pipe smokers, I started off with aero's. That was a loong time ago and they never tasted liked the smelled. About 30 years ago I stumbled into a pipe store and the owner told me all about Mcclellands. So I bought a pipe and haven't looked back.
I don't smoke them now even though there are many high quality aeros out there. But just this morning my wifes niece asked if there weren't "nice smelling tobaccos out there".
I may have to look into one or two of them...just for the winter mind you...for inside the house....periodically.....well....you know
Of course that means I will need another pipe or two.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
As a onetime smoker of such aromatics: sometimes that which is familiar and comforting just is. Think more about it at your peril; it is mere neurosis.
At the same time, I am glad to have discovered naturals!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I really couldn't care less what anyone else puts in their pipe. I smoke mostly heavy English/Balkan blends with Virginias, VaPer's and Burleys in the rotation as well; but, I have always kept a tub of Captain Black on hand for times that I want to reminisce. Also, in the last two years, Condor and St. Bruno, both " aromatics", have become staples in my cellar!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The origin of the phrase "red-headed stepchild":
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/dec/28/origins-of-the-irish-down-to-mass-migration-ancient-dna-confirms
For mature/honest adults only!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sablebrush's point is well-taken, that aromatics represent a wide majority of pipe tobacco sales, keep the industry afloat, and support the development, marketing and distribution of our much-beloved non-aromatics. sable' says 90% of the market -- donno, but it's high. If anyone has actual data, it is a corporate secret sealed in a vault in an abandoned salt mine in Nevada.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Yep most of the guys here smoke aros. A few live lat blends, but the majority love apple, cherry, whisky, and berry blends. Surprising I have given out most of the tobacco that was sent and all the pipes. It has become quite popular. I say smoke what you like as long as it is pipe tobacco or a cigar. Here is a pic of the homeless vets that are enrolled in the culinary class I help teach.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'd like them more if they were stronger in Lady N.
I'm right there with you, plus many I've tried, were very bland as well.
There are very few aromatics that I'll smoke on occasion. Two I can recall right now are:
Two Brother's - English Chocolate

Rattray's - Bag Pipers Dream
I'm still looking for a decent cherry aromatic for the sole purpose of smoking around my wife because she likes it. So far I've only had Lane's - Very Cherry, while not bad, the only way I could get though all of it was to mix it with Carter Hall.
I've read a few recommend, Cult's - Blood Red Moon, and Capt Black's - Red Sky. I also want to try Pipeworks & Wilke's - Cherry Cavendish
Not really anxious to get started trying them, but its on this to-do list.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
There are a few cherry blends I like from c&d and McC. I also have a tin of too black cherry and cherry bomb I will try. If you need vitamin n i hear g&h cherry twist and other twists have a ton.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I am not an an aro smoker, but I understand there are more aro smokers than non-aro smokers. To me smelling the room note after an aro smoker has left the room reminds me of the people who vales. All you smell is the excessive use of sweetness and flavorings.

I find it off putting the over use of Black Cavendish. Flavored or not. Just recently I purchased a pouch of CB White to try it after 20 plus years. I found it to just as heavy as it was.

It has been stated on this forum many times. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.
John

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Andy, that was really funny. I totally remember that episode of South Park that the guy in the video was talking about.

Jan 8, 2013
Whether it's a super sweet aromatic such as Molto Dulce, or a nicotine bomb such as a Gawith and Hogarth Twist, I smoke what I like, when I like. If I want a Virginia, I smoke it. If I want latakia, I smoke it. I don't much care what someone thinks of me if I do happen to enjoy aromatics. I mean really... it's tobacco in a pipe. If someone feels the need to question a mans masculinity due to the kind of tobacco they smoke then the one doing the questioning should re-evaluate their own masculinity as obviously he is so insecure he must try and talk someone else down to make himself feel bigger. Why belittle someone over what they enjoy? "You're not a real pipe smoker, you're smoking that girly sweet Molto Dulce!" Well that's quite juvenile isn't it?
I guess I'm just ranting. It's really as simple as this. Smoke whatever the heck you dang well please and to the pit with anyone else's opinion on it.
Tonight I smoked some Low Country, Waccamaw. It's a bright leaf and red virginia flake with perique and Izmir. Quite enjoyable. Tomorrow night, I think I'll smoke a bowl of Queen Anne's Revenge... a very sweet aromatic. Because I can. And because I enjoy it. Happy smokes everyone.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
I'm still looking for a decent cherry aromatic for the sole purpose of smoking around my wife because she likes it.
I've tried 4 different Boswell aros; they have a Cherry Smash that is quite pleasant smelling but isn't as harsh smoking as some of the other cherry blends I've tried.

I would never ever make fun of the aromatic smokers. Ludicrous!! Why, I myself will sometimes slip on a dress and load a bowl full of cherry vanilla and unwind from a busy day of cramps... just like my dad. Nothing wrong with it at all. Let people just be who they are. :wink: :puffy:
For the record, I looked for a cherry blend for my wife's benefit as well. But, she eventually said they were all just too syrupy fake smelling. And, she was happy when I went back to my regular rotation. But, I still smoke an aromatic every morning as I feed breakfast to my kids and take them to school. And, there are a few that I like. I actually like them, and I didn't grow breasts, surprisingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.