PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Cosmic -
You seriously just made me laugh out loud at work.
Perhaps you're not getting the full estrogen effect of Borkum Riff Honey & Orange. Perhaps you should smoke a bowl earlier in the day and then a second as you serve breakfast. It would also help if you wore a frilly apron, perhaps with a daisy print?
:rofl:

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
HAHAHAHHAHAH
Why, I myself will sometimes slip on a dress and load a bowl full of cherry vanilla and unwind from a busy day of cramps... just like my dad.
Now that I think about it, when I did smoke a cherry blend around my wife, she said it reminds her of her grandfather. Perhaps that might not be the best association I want with my wife. 8O
Maybe I'll just keep smoking my english, and burley blends, and when she complains I'll just say..."You're welcome"

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Based upon our sales figures, aromatic/semi-aromatic blends make up closer to 95% of our business. The reason that it doesn't seem to be so dominant among the forums is that the vast majority of aro smokers aren't hobbyists and don't frequent these sites. They buy what they like (usually the same blend) and puff away.

Even though the blends I come up with are predominantly non-aromatic, I certainly don't turn up my nose toward these blends or the people who enjoy them.
Russ

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Based upon our sales figures, aromatic/semi-aromatic blends make up closer to 95% of our business.
That is amazing. I would have guessed the percentage was much lower. I know the market as a whole is dominated by aromatics, but I would have thought that a larger percentage of P&C customers were hobbyists. Fascinating. Also, considering that, we should all be grateful that so many non-aromatic blends are still being made.

Yeh, whenever someone comes into the Briary while I happen to be in there and hear them ask for a non aromatic blend, I tend to perk up and introduce myself, because it is a rare thing indeed.
Therefore, since they are the majority, it's quite alright to make fun of those syrupy sugar smoking freaks, ha ha. Just kidding. :wink:

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Being a new guy here who smokes blended tobacco, I hadn't or haven't noticed a anti aromatic movement on the forum. Now I would rather eat paste than smoke 98% of the aromatics out there, to me a pipe smoker is a pipe smoker and we should all stick together.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Aromatic blend sales heavily outweigh any other blend easily at our B&M. The cigar guys who come out as "pipe curious" I tend to steer toward English and VaPer's and they tend to stay into either or both genres.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
I think alot of it is unintentional I'll show some made up examples..
"almost all aromatics are junk tobacco with a goopy toppings , but hey if that's what you like that's your prerogative. Smoke what you like"
"When I was a beginner I smoked aromatics but now I've matured I smoke only english and Virginias."
"I don't normally like Aromatics but once every 5 years I'll smoke 1q.."
"Aromatics are only good to leave open in your bathroom to make it smell nice"

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Interesting sales number from Russ. I knew the percentage was high, but not that high. It is the same thing with cigars. Premium cigars last I heard represented 10% of all cigars sold, and the other 90 is the paper crap like white owls and such.
cosmic said
Yeh, whenever someone comes into the Briary while I happen to be in there and hear them ask for a non aromatic blend, I tend to perk up and introduce myself, because it is a rare thing indeed.
It is obvious that he hates aromatic smokers and ignores them when they come into the shop. I have heard he goes out and slashes their tires while they are purchasing their aro's. Nice guy huh.
I have honestly not seen hardly any aro bashing on this site as most of us do have at least a few in our rotations or cellars. I think the only time I have seen it in a long time is cosmics insulting attitude towards aro smokers at the shop he hangs out at. Maybe if he had his dress on, he would have been nicer.

Ha ha, no I think the problem is confusion. Someone will come on the forum and ask, "Can someone recommend an aromatic that tastes good."

Then someone will reply, "You can't taste aromatics, but maybe you should try some FVF or Frog Morton."

"Why do you guys all hate aromatic smokers? You are all so big and mean."
It's not that we have anything against aromatics. Most of us have at least one that we like. It's just that aromatics, as what a newbie will think of as an aromatic, just doesn't give the smoker as much flavor as the other blends. We all know that. Sure, we could recommend an aromatic that does have some tobacco taste, but why not venture a tad further into the deeper water? Learn to really swim, so that you'll better appreciate and enjoy the kiddie pool next time.
Maybe it's them that hates the taste of tobacco? And if so, maybe we should recommend that they use one of them electric things that the smoke actually tastes like bubblegum or cherry.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ref. Russ O.'s post: Wow, 95% aromatics sold through the PC site. That's settles it. The aro smokers are supporting the industry here folks. Dis' aro's at peril of our enjoyment of pipe smoking. He who pays the piper! Or for what the piper pays ... or something. Aromatics are the revenue stream.

Yeh, mso, but 95% of that 95% buys his Captain Black and smokes his pipe while watching the evening news in his underwear, not caring a fig about hanging out with other pipe smokers, joining a forum, or even caring about the differences between an artisan pipemaker and a factory. The other small percentage comes here to try to figure out why he can't taste aromatics.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Is Prince Albert considered to be an aromatic? I might be part of the 95% and not even know it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I can see enjoying aros, and I did for some years, but when there's Old Joe Krantz in the house... well.

thesinistral

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2016
(That is a surprising 95% number. wow) I would not say I 'graduated' from aromatics, it's just that my tastes evolved from the heavily cased Cavendish aromatics I started with. It's like the Big Bang. As my universe expands, aromatics are still stars in my galaxy, just farther away and with slightly less twinkle.
I liked the flavors but the underlying tobacco is very one-note when compared to any quality blend IMO. I am now on the hunt for a more complex aromatic, having ordered 'Autumn Evening' 'FireDance Flake', and 'Celtic Talisman'.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yeh, mso, but 95% of that 95% buys his Captain Black and smokes his pipe while watching the evening news in his underwear, not caring a fig about hanging out with other pipe smokers, joining a forum, or even caring about the differences between an artisan pipemaker and a factory.
In other words, someone who simply enjoys smoking a pipe.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
In honor of this thread I smoked a bowl of BCA tonight.......after two bowls of aged straight Virginia.

gnome

Lurker
Feb 6, 2016
aromatic vs non, is like mixed drinks vs straight Scotch, it's all good. I mostly smoke straight Va, or VA perique, but am also an unabashed lover of sweet aros. I think if you limit your self to one or the other. you miss one of the joys of pipe smoking, and thats is trying a variety of things.
To lifesizehobbit, a cherry aro your wife will love, is Cult Blood Red Moon. It has the best room note of anything I have tried. It is also the best smoking cherry blend(IMHO).

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Crap. Whose hiding the bubble gum blend, Cos? That sounds like a good change up from my "Pine Bark and Buffalo Chip s" blend I usually smoke. Any "REAL" pipe smoker knowa you just cannot brag about being a manly smoker untill your throat and tongue have a good creosote lining.

Status
Not open for further replies.