Are You Addicted To Nicotine?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Are You Addicted To Nicotine As a Pipe Smoker?

• Yes

Votes: 40 36.7%
  • No

Votes: 69 63.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Maaan, those prices are wack. Dip is about 3 bucks (Grizzly) here in Ga.. you can get a pouch of chew for 2 dollars.
Same here in South Carolina. I always buy the big tubs of Stoker's which last a long time. Dip and pipes help me cut way down on cigarettes. I have COPD so inhaling is bad for me, thus the pipes and dip to avoid inhaling. Cigarettes are reserved for after each meal.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I voted yes.

I had my first cigarette at 12. By 14 or 15, it was already a habit. After high school, I was working outside and easily smoking 2-3 packs a day. Picked up the pipe around age 20, so there was that as well.

After about ten years of that, I slowed my roll to about a pack a day, a couple pipes a week. Definitely a nic fiend, couldn’t go more than an hour or so without craving and getting agitated.

‘I started a job two years ago with a boss who really hates tobacco smoke, so I never smoked around him. Going 8–10 hours without a cig was rough, but I realized I could doit. Last March, I put the cigs down for good and replaced them with 4-5 pipes a day.

I still get cravings, but less for the nicotine itself and more for the pipe ritual and relaxation effects...although my first smoke is always something strong, and I do have a penchant for the stronger blends and nicotine still plays a big role in why I continue to smoke. I like the stuff, and still “need” it to a degree, but not quite as badly as I once did.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
Perhaps you are one of the lucky ones who are genetically not disposed to becoming addicted easily.
Nicotine is generally counted among the most addictive substances, not as bad as heroin but up there with crack and alcohol. With withdraw symptoms like severe anxiety (also causes physical symptoms) and mood svings.
I believe for most of us it´s linear, the more nicotine you consume the more addicted you become. And it´s all about not overdoing the nicotine and trigger or create the addiction.

Mentally there doesn't have to be any perceived difference between need and want, your cravings are not determined by the consequence of not giving in to them.

Luckily pipe smoking seems to give you nicotine in low and slow doses which seems to make it harder and less likely to create a nicotine addiction.

As long as it's just mental you have much more control over it. There is a difference between need and want. If you don't get nicotine you don't get sick and vomit unlike with many other substances. Pain is a powerful motivator. Similar as comparing sex and food. You aren't in pain if you don't get sex even though you may desire it. Try being starved and compare these two wants. Other is want and other is need.

When it's physical it can become impossible to control like alcohol if you let it get to that point. If alcoholic doesn't get his drink he will be on the floor convulsing and his brain will fry. Alcohol abuse causes hangover so it takes more work to get addicted. But just because nicotine is easily addictive to some people doesn't mean the addiction itself is that strong. Thousands of people quit nicotine every day and nobody robs their neighbour because they need their fix unlike heroin addicts.

You are right though I don't have addictions, so I don't seem to get easily addicted. I have tried most tobacco products (pipe tobacco, cigars, cigarettes filtered and unfiltered, snus, snuff), but never been close to getting "hooked". The delivery method certainly makes a difference though. I have had much bigger buzz from cigars than I ever had from cigarettes, but the absorption is so much slower, leaves me satisfied but not wanting more for the day. I just think addicts are giving tobacco a bad name. It can be used in moderation. I smoke when I want, not because I need it.

Reactions: HitchensDog

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I don't think so. I can do and have done without any tobacco products for years. Tobacco and nicotine are a "freedom" for me. Not an addiction.
I definitely know that I'm addicted to pleasurable experiences and that's how I define tobacco. Just one of many pleasurable experiences throughout my life.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I believe that I am, but not severely. I only smoke pipes and cigars, but I enjoy the 'throat hit' feeling of cigarettes. This combined with my affinity for nicotine is why I keep an NJoy vape pod on-hand for convenient vitamin N administration

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yes it's dangerous for me not to get my nicotine. I might kill or at least yell at someone for having a face and being anywhere near me. That's a slight exaggeration. It's more accurate to say I'll have thoughts like if I killed that person they wouldn't be so super amazingly annoying, however inanimate object might die. I can't think or not be annoyed by everything. Of course the first cigarette I smoked I remember and my first thought before vomiting was "where have you been my whole life?"

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
Yes it's dangerous for me not to get my nicotine. I might kill or at least yell at someone for having a face and being anywhere near me. That's a slight exaggeration. It's more accurate to say I'll have thoughts like if I killed that person they wouldn't be so super amazingly annoying, however inanimate object might die. I can't think or not be annoyed by everything. Of course the first cigarette I smoked I remember and my first thought before vomiting was "where have you been my whole life?"

I've never vomited but once I tried swedish snus called Odens White Dry. Damn it was strong. First two minutes I was like this is nothing, but then it kicked and I thought "this is no tobacco, I've been poisoned!" felt quite lightheaded for a while. Other swedish snus brands were much milder and pleasant. But this one was the strongest nicotine rush I have ever felt. It was winter though so my tolerance was likely a bit lower but still. It was one of the only two times when nicotine wasn't pleasant. Other time was smoking Rattray's Stirling Flake on empty stomach.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I voted no. I only smoke a pipe - never been a cigarette smoker and occasionally a cigar. I usually smoke 1 bowl a day and no more than 2-3 on the weekends. I definately notice the nicotine in some Va/Pers (Haddo’s Delight kicked my ass on an empty stomach!) but I usually smoke more Latakia blends which tend to be lower in nicotine. However, I couldn't resist the SP Mac Baren sale and notice that all the blends I ordered contain a fair amount of Burley. Maybe I’ll be a yes in the next poll?
This is me more or less as well. I wonder if we can say that folks who never smoked cigs and have only smoked pipes and perhaps cigars don't feel the nicotine addiction. I'm curious if there are folks out there who feel the addiction who have only smoked pipes and/or cigars in what I would consider is a fairly moderate amount.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I’m an on-again, off-again nicotine aficionado. Smoked cigarettes as a young teen, quit in my early 20’s. Still chewed tobacco and dipped when fishing, hunting or in the outdoors, but never consistently. Found that an occasional pipe or cigar agreed with me about 10 years ago. I still occasionally chew tobacco, dip or use snus, mainly for the nicotine effect. I’ve made pipe smoking more of an interest / hobby than an addiction. I’ll go long stretches without nicotine, but I still voted “yes” because denial is the first sign of addiction. ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Nicotine addiction is not a joke - it's always worse when you start inhaling the stuff - goes straight to blood brain barrier - any of you young ones or beginners predisposed to addiction - never inhale - you will become hooked on the drug side of the smoke
that can certainly make it happen faster. Though once you're addicted it doesn't matter as much how you've ingested nicotine. What I'd worry about with inhalation is more two things. Both pretty big. Inhaling carbon monoxide is not a good thing for your body and the lungs are way more fragile then the mouth. Why oral cancers are way less common among cig smokers then lung cancer is. You know despite the mouth and the lungs being exposed to the same stuff when you smoke cigs.

• Love
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee