New Accessories
3 Fresh Peter Heding Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Are You Addicted To Nicotine As a Pipe Smoker?

• Yes

Votes: 40 36.7%
  • No

Votes: 69 63.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I ended up voting yes. Although I don’t have “nic fits,” I think my tolerance would’ve waned a lot more than it has if I were truly not addicted at all. I could be wrong though. ?‍♂️

Reactions: J.GANDY
I can attest that you can “clear” your system of nicotine addiction and return to pipe smoking free of the need to smoke for nicotine rather than flavor.

This is me also..

I smoke as much as once per day and often go a week without. No ill effects or irresistible urges. I DO LOVE the effects of nicotine when I do smoke. It's is an energetic calm for me... I am aware that is a contradiction in terms but nonetheless....

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Also I’ll add this. I’ve never smoked cigarettes or dipped. I only carefully smoked three cigars prior to taking up the pipe.

I generally smoke about 5-6 bowls a day. Some days I don’t pipe at all and some days I smoke up to 10-12 bowls.

On the days I don’t smoke my pipes I don’t have any caffeine cravings, rather I have fidget withdrawals as I don’t have a pipe to fidget with or the other things to occupy my mindless behavior.

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
Hello, my name is Jamie and I am a nic- o- holic.

Absolutely, no doubt what so ever I'm addicted to nicotine. As bad as that is and sounds. I have smoked cigarettes since I was a teen and smoking a pipe has aided me to quit them completely.

Is pipe smoking better, depends on who you ask. However, the fact is I enjoy smoking. Now with smoking a pipe, I smoke because I want to.

With cigarettes I HAD to smoke, happy, have a smoke, mad have 2, stressed have 4.

With a pipe, the process is relaxing and I have not said to myself or aloud in quite some time, " Damn! I got to go have a smoke!".

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Quit cigarettes cold turkey decades ago, and remember what nicotine withdrawals are like. I took up the pipe recently and am happy to report that I go several consecutive days each week without a bowl, and find no withdrawl symptoms.

If I smoked more I could see an addiction developing again, so I won’t do that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People aren't always the best judge of chemical dependency, but I voted no. Days or weeks off a pipe don't induce withdrawal. I never choose a blend because it has more nicotine. When I get a nicotine buzz, it is usually enjoyable, but nothing I seek again per se. I've never smoked cigarettes regularly, and cigars only now and then. It just doesn't seem I fit the nicotine dependency profile on any terms I know. My dad was an all-day pipe smoker for fifty years, but my mom like to dramatize conversation with a cigarette, but every pack went stale. I think I inherited her nicotine receptors. Sometimes I pack a pipe and forget to smoke it that day.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
No.
I smoked cigarettes for 25 years so I know nicotine addiction, and nicotine addiction, like any addiction, won’t let you be.
Although nicotine is certainly part of the equation with a pipe, I only smoke a pipe to relax and cogitate, 3-4 times a week and sometimes much less often.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
After years of knowing the hell of nicotine addiction, and withdrawal I am confident in saying that I am not and very happy it is so. Those cigarettes (lung) and even some strong cigars can make your life miserable. If I had to quit a pipe tomorrow (the idea of which would make me miserable:mad::cry:) I can do so without any issues.

This ^^^

I have been smoking a pipe daily around 3-4 bowls per day for 30 years. I can go without smoking a pipe without issue or withdrawals. I am happy about this. For example, I just went on an afternoon trip today with the family. Left the pipe and tobacco home. 6 hours without and then got home and still didn’t smoke until now. So 9 hours elapsed without a smoke. When I was smoking cigarettes I couldn’t barely get through two hours without one.

Not too long ago I decided to quit smoking pipe while my lungs cleared from a cold. My goal was four days. I ended up going six because I didn’t need to have a smoke.

That all said, I enjoy smoking a pipe and have developed a habit but not a physical addiction to it like with cigarettes. I am happy with my ability to stop without side effects or withdrawals.