Are You Addicted To Nicotine?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Are You Addicted To Nicotine As a Pipe Smoker?

• Yes

Votes: 40 36.7%
  • No

Votes: 69 63.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Just to clarify my response. I do not inhale the pipe, never had any issues with wanting to even though I was a cigarette smoker for many years. I find that if I inhale, it totally ruins the flavors of the smoke, it’s like instant olfactory fatigue. I do have nicotine flowing through these veins of mine regularly, my first love affair with tobacco was from dipping it. I started at age 12 and have been dipping since (older brothers, bad influence). I have been saying for years that I am trying to quit. One of my deadlines was the birth of my baby girl. She was born in Jan 2017 and yes, I’m still freaking dipping! I am totally dependent on nicotine. The problem with dip is you can do it anywhere, it’s very hard to give up but I’m going to give myself another deadline soon or I might just wind up dead. The real reason I want to quit dipping (other than the expense, $6+ per can) is that I don’t want it to compromise my ability to smoke a pipe in the future. So whereas I want to quite dipping, I never want to quit the pipe.

I like these kinds of threads, even if the question was asked before, things change, we have so many new members joining us weekly, I think it’s interesting to revisit certain subjects. Questions are going to be asked more than once, it’s the nature of forums. It’s as simple as not clicking on the post if you don’t want to read it.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I started at age 12 and have been dipping since (older brothers, bad influence). I have been saying for years that I am trying to quit. One of my deadlines was the birth of my baby girl. She was born in Jan 2017 and yes, I’m still freaking dipping! I am totally dependent on nicotine. The problem with dip is you can do it anywhere, it’s very hard to give up but I’m going to give myself another deadline soon or I might just wind up dead. The real reason I want to quick dipping (other than the expense, $6+ per can) is that I don’t want it to compromise my ability to smoke a pipe in the future. So whereas I want to quite dipping, I never want to quit the pipe.

Dipping can be a challenge for me too. Tons of nicotine, especially if you gut it like I do for the most part. If it weren't so hard on the teeth and gums I'd probably keep it up. I really enjoy it. Not to mention, when I do start in on it, I tend to lose interest in my pipe. It's over $8.00/tin here and a tin lasts me 2-3 days.

Good luck.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Dipping can be a challenge for me too. Tons of nicotine, especially if you gut it like I do for the most part. If it weren't so hard on the teeth and gums I'd probably keep it up. I really enjoy it. Not to mention, when I do start in on it, I tend to lose interest in my pipe. It's over $8.00/tin here and a tin lasts me 2-3 days.

Good luck.
Yeah, I’m pretty much the same. Unfortunately I can only make my tins last one day maybe two if I’m lucky. I’m an all or nothing kind of guy, so slowing down never works for me. I’m going to have to go cold turkey.

B_Rock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 11, 2020
San Jose, CA
I voted no. I only smoke a pipe - never been a cigarette smoker and occasionally a cigar. I usually smoke 1 bowl a day and no more than 2-3 on the weekends. I definately notice the nicotine in some Va/Pers (Haddo’s Delight kicked my ass on an empty stomach!) but I usually smoke more Latakia blends which tend to be lower in nicotine. However, I couldn't resist the SP Mac Baren sale and notice that all the blends I ordered contain a fair amount of Burley. Maybe I’ll be a yes in the next poll?

Reactions: Seamaster

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My first taste of tobacco was from a Pall Mall shared with my neighbor out by the railroad tracks at the age of 6, back in 1954.
I was smoking cigarettes regularly by the time I was in High School.
I've quit, always cold turkey, MANY times for at least a year and more...
I've quit for 5 yrs or more at least 3x's...
I always seem to return to the nicotine and it's during times of incredible stress that I've found some solace in the drug.
The addiction seems to me to be most acute in the brain/mind, but I'm certain there's a physical component.
With all the experience I've had quitting tobacco, learning how to enjoy it in a pipe has been a Godsend.
No longer inhaling to acquire the drug, and really enjoying the flavor of the leaf, I now attribute most of my physical exercise to the acts of walking while smoking my pipe.
I probably walk at least 2 miles a day with my pipe smoldering, and just stand around in the shade a lot too.
I only smoke outside anymore, so, no secondhand smoke either.
:sher:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Never smoked cigarettes. Became an occasional pipe and cigar smoker in 1972 but it was never something I "had" to have. When we found out one of our daughters had asthma and allergies, I stopped smoking inside completely and only smoked when I was on deployed.

These days I sometimes smoke two or three bowls a day - always outside - but will sometimes go one or two days without a pipe.

Reactions: musicman

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Yes, no, maybe... probably.
I tend to go for stronger blends and when I've smoked several bowls per day for a few days straight and then skip one day I feel a light and manageable craving that goes away after a day or two.
Nothing like the cravings I felt back when i smoked cigarettes or when I did a can of snus per day.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
I very much enjoy nicotine, but I'm not at all addicted. I don't have to smoke everyday and I always quit for the winter time without issues since I only smoke outdoors. I enjoy it and I want it when I smoke, but I don't get withdrawal symptoms.

To be honest something like nicotine addiction seems quite ridiculous, compared to serious addictions like alcohol or benzos for example where there are serious physical withdrawal symptoms and you can actually die if you don't get it. With nicotine you don't "need" it, you want it. There is a huge difference.

Recon Paul

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2020
New Jersey, US
No. I smoked cigarettes for years and often excessively. I don't have any nic fits or withdrawal from pipe smoking. I go through phases of smoking and not smoking my pile without much thought. Usually only smoke one bowl on a smoking day. Don't think I've ever smoked more than 3 and those small ones. I don't even understand when people reference nicotine levels in reviews because I never notice it. Not even sure what to look for in that regard.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
To be honest something like nicotine addiction seems quite ridiculous, compared to serious addictions like alcohol or benzos for example where there are serious physical withdrawal symptoms and you can actually die if you don't get it. With nicotine you don't "need" it, you want it. There is a huge difference.

Perhaps you are one of the lucky ones who are genetically not disposed to becoming addicted easily.
Nicotine is generally counted among the most addictive substances, not as bad as heroin but up there with crack and alcohol. With withdraw symptoms like severe anxiety (also causes physical symptoms) and mood svings.
I believe for most of us it´s linear, the more nicotine you consume the more addicted you become. And it´s all about not overdoing the nicotine and trigger or create the addiction.

Mentally there doesn't have to be any perceived difference between need and want, your cravings are not determined by the consequence of not giving in to them.

Luckily pipe smoking seems to give you nicotine in low and slow doses which seems to make it harder and less likely to create a nicotine addiction.