Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I don't mean to sound like an asshole, so please understand that i just want to learn something. But, is there a pipe with a stinger that would actually be so collectible that it would get a substantial bid that would warrant keeping the stinger in tact? Like, it the $100's of dollars?

I ask because the pipes that I have seen stingers in are usually the cheapest pipes. My beloved Hilsons came with stingers, but I just toss them. But, usually they ran between $20-50 in the estate Markets. And, I am not so sure people that would buy estate Hilsons even know that they came with stingers, so I am not so sure it would devalue the pipes any further.

I guess what I am ultimately asking is, are there any pipes that originally came with stingers that trade for over $100 in the estate market?
In my mind, Grabows are collectible, but only in sentiment and novelty, not in any resell gain in profits.
Great question- Kaywoodie pipes from the 20s-30s can and do command prices well above $100. My Kaywoodie Thorn, a mid 1930s pipe has beautiful sandblasting and holds up well with Dunhill pipes of the same period in terms of fit and finish, along with its complexity of stain. My Kaywoodie Silhouette, while not as collectible as the early Thorn, was discounted when I purchased it because a previous owner had clipped the stinger. An early Dr. Grabow Linkman can command a decent price as well.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
In my mind, Grabows are collectible, but only in sentiment and novelty, not in any resell gain in profits.
The overwhelming majority of Dr G's are exactly as you described, but there are a few that can bring not insignificant amounts of money.

A hand full of early Linkman Grabow shapes can do pretty well on the estate market as well as a few of the later shapes in hard to find lines like Commodore and Sculptura.

There was also a line of Dr G's called Uniques that were 100% hand made by two guys at the factory and only sold out of the front office to visitors of the factory. They were absolutely giant pipes, and less than a few hundred were made. They can bring pretty good money as well.

Like anything collectable, scarcity drives prices and even the most uncommon Dr G's hammer prices do pale in comparison to high grade pipes.

telescopes

I have to laugh, I went to bed early and when I woke up I discovered a whole discussion on the value of pipes with stingers. What a pleasant surprise. The forum users tend to not like stingers, but rarely is it discussed about the value of leaving a stinger in certain pipes for collectors. This discussion was perfectly fit to answer questions about stingers.

I referenced my Kaywoodie Sihlouette in above post. The stinger was clipped, and while it allowed me to get a wonderful pipe at a discount, I actually prefer the pipe being clipped in terms of how it smokes and ease of cleaning. 🧹

I went to bed early and when I woke up I discovered a whole discussion on the value of pipes with stingers.
Like I said, I was just curious. I have heard that removing it would devalue a pipe, but in my mind, immediately a snarky joke is formed about... you can guess. But, then I had to wonder whether there were ever stingers in more valuable pipes.

Thanks guys, you've answered my question. Although, I don't think of the innertube in Dunhills as being stingers.

For the record, I have over 12 of the exact same Hilson 203s and I experimented (for myself not science) by leaving the stingers in some and removing them from the rest. And, I can say without any hesitation that smoking them without the stinger is way more pleasant. However, removing the stingers probably won't affect their prices, because they never had much of a monetary value to begin with.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Like I said, I was just curious. I have heard that removing it would devalue a pipe, but in my mind, immediately a snarky joke is formed about... you can guess. But, then I had to wonder whether there were ever stingers in more valuable pipes.

Thanks guys, you've answered my question. Although, I don't think of the innertube in Dunhills as being stingers.

For the record, I have over 12 of the exact same Hilson 203s and I experimented (for myself not science) by leaving the stingers in some and removing them from the rest. And, I can say without any hesitation that smoking them without the stinger is way more pleasant. However, removing the stingers probably won't affect their prices, because they never had much of a monetary value to begin with.
I've always looked at like this, if the stinger was removable from the factory very few people will care if its gone. If it was and integral part of the tenon, its best to leave it if you're concerned about value. LOADS of pipes came with removable do-dads stuck in the end of a vulcanite tenon, they were by in large all garbage. Only a small handful of manufacturers made pipes with integral condensers that were not removable, LHS, DR G, & KW are the only ones that come to mind right now but I know there are few others. And they were were mostly all american companies.

Innertubes were a different animal altogether, they were not unique to Dunhill though. Kaywoodie, WDC, Peterson and few other companies had identical innertubes and for the most part their absence has no effect on the value of a pipe. Replacement innertubes are also dead easy to make and new ones are readily available if it is a concern.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I like 9mm filters but dislike stingers. They gurgle and get nasty. Is rather have it absorbed and toss the filter. You can still easily buy new stingers if you want to out it back. They sell them by the half dozen. Most are intended to be user serviceable…at least those in france.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I've always looked at like this, if the stinger was removable from the factory very few people will care if its gone. If it was and integral part of the tenon, its best to leave it if you're concerned about value. LOADS of pipes came with removable do-dads stuck in the end of a vulcanite tenon, they were by in large all garbage. Only a small handful of manufacturers made pipes with integral condensers that were not removable, LHS, DR G, & KW are the only ones that come to mind right now but I know there are few others. And they were were mostly all american companies.

Innertubes were a different animal altogether, they were not unique to Dunhill though. Kaywoodie, WDC, Peterson and few other companies had identical innertubes and for the most part their absence has no effect on the value of a pipe. Replacement innertubes are also dead easy to make and new ones are readily available if it is a concern.

A number of early Savinelli pipes had innertubes (sometimes more than one included). I’m always grateful and thrilled when they’re still present. I have a couple of late ’50s Punto Oro pipes that I need to make some innertubes for—fortunately, I have an original to match them against.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I would think stingers are not bad but perhaps not preferred today. They were an attempt at a prior time in history to solve a few problems such providing a cooler smoke and preventing some tobacco bits from entering the mouth. I would imagine they were the latest and greatest technology and marketing gimmick at one time. The intent was probably good.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have a few older British made long stem straight billiard shaped pipes ,to my surprice ,all them were equipped with those useless 3mm aluminum innertubes, Even today approximately 80 % of Dunhill White Spot pipes come with those tubes inserted, benefits,Once when You remove them the draw of the pipe with those tubes will be quite wide open but less so than on 6mm Savinellis

telescopes

I think the “use of a“ stinger as well as the filter conversation unfortunately engages the same part of the male brain as does the similar conversation of whether one should use a condom does for men. And while the consequences aren’t as grave when it comes not not using a pipe filter, the argumental can be just as heated:

”I don’t like the way it feels with a condom…” becomes “I don’t like the way the tobacco tastes with filter.“.

🤫😀
keep in mind, we are talking about stingers.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: OzPiper and MattRVA

RandyP

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
Those are all removable, and probably should be removed, the bottom three should pull straight out. The top I'm not sure without seeing it up close. Be careful removing them though, they are likely cemented in place with loads of tar and gunk. When they are that filthy they can be hard to get out without doing damage if you don't know what you're doing. Alcohol coupled with freezing and gentle heating will usually loosen them up enough to be removed.
Thanks, I had already soaked/cleaned a few of them, but was afraid to force them apart after my first attempt hadn't worked. So, I soaked again and yes, I managed to get them all apart. That torpedo shape was a simple screw-on/off.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

multitool

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2023
Hawaii
I have a couple of Kaywoodie pipes with the metal stingers on them. I enjoy them. They don't hinder the draw when smoking in my opinion. I can understand why some guys cut them off, but I like to keep them on. They're a part of American pipe history. I find the stingers to be an interesting pipe innovation, as well as being unique.

But IMO, my pipes with stingers smoke just fine, and have had no problems.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have a couple of Kaywoodie pipes with the metal stingers on them. I enjoy them. They don't hinder the draw when smoking in my opinion. I can understand why some guys cut them off, but I like to keep them on. They're a part of American pipe history. I find the stingers to be an interesting pipe innovation, as well as being unique.

But IMO, my pipes with stingers smoke just fine, and have had no problems.
I still think the fact they're not common has more to do with how little interest there is in them and not if they work or not. I would love to try one someday just to see what difference it makes.