Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
It took me awhile to figure out the name of these odd inserts at the end of the stems of someView attachment 282425 new estate pipes I just acquired. Apparently, the guy who smoked pipes preferred them, or maybe they were just popular during the era when he smoked. I just wondered if these pieces enhanced or hindered the draw on the pipe. Anyone know?
Those are all removable, and probably should be removed, the bottom three should pull straight out. The top I'm not sure without seeing it up close. Be careful removing them though, they are likely cemented in place with loads of tar and gunk. When they are that filthy they can be hard to get out without doing damage if you don't know what you're doing. Alcohol coupled with freezing and gentle heating will usually loosen them up enough to be removed.

Reactions: jguss and Briar Lee
If it will devalue the collectibility of the pipe, owner snip away, but realize you may have devalued your pipe for later resale.
I don't mean to sound like an asshole, so please understand that i just want to learn something. But, is there a pipe with a stinger that would actually be so collectible that it would get a substantial bid that would warrant keeping the stinger in tact? Like, it the $100's of dollars?

I ask because the pipes that I have seen stingers in are usually the cheapest pipes. My beloved Hilsons came with stingers, but I just toss them. But, usually they ran between $20-50 in the estate Markets. And, I am not so sure people that would buy estate Hilsons even know that they came with stingers, so I am not so sure it would devalue the pipes any further.

I guess what I am ultimately asking is, are there any pipes that originally came with stingers that trade for over $100 in the estate market?
In my mind, Grabows are collectible, but only in sentiment and novelty, not in any resell gain in profits.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I don't mean to sound like an asshole, so please understand that i just want to learn something. But, is there a pipe with a stinger that would actually be so collectible that it would get a substantial bid that would warrant keeping the stinger in tact? Like, it the $100's of dollars?

I ask because the pipes that I have seen stingers in are usually the cheapest pipes. My beloved Hilsons came with stingers, but I just toss them. But, usually they ran between $20-50 in the estate Markets. And, I am not so sure people that would buy estate Hilsons even know that they came with stingers, so I am not so sure it would devalue the pipes any further.

I guess what I am ultimately asking is, are there any pipes that originally came with stingers that trade for over $100 in the estate market?
In my mind, Grabows are collectible, but only in sentiment and novelty, not in any resell gain in profits.

In 1977 a buddy and me took a wine appreciation course at UMKC.

What we were taught about corks is the same as removable metal stingers in a pipe, I think.

The advantages of the modern metal screw bottle cap are beyond argument. They seal better. You can reseal the bottle. No corkscrew needed.

But only cheap wines have screw tops.:)

No prestigious pipe in today’s market I’m aware of had a removable stinger.

Only a high condition Kaywoodie 4 hole stinger with intact stinger has any real collector value.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks

Absolutely, early 4 digit Kaywoodies can and do bring substantial amounts of money. Clip the stinger and its basically worthless.

The advantages of the modern metal screw bottle cap are beyond argument. They seal better. You can reseal the bottle. No corkscrew needed.
I don't want to derail this thread with a sideline argument over wine corks. But, you are right and wrong. They seal better for short periods of time. Two years is the longest I would keep a bottle with a screw top, but corks allow micro oxygenation, which aids better wines in aging, converting smaller chains of sugars into more complex chains.
Only a high condition Kaywoodie 4 hole stinger with intact stinger has any real collector value.
early 4 digit Kaywoodies can and do bring substantial amounts of money.
You two answered my question. Thank you! That is awesome.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England

Yes, I have a Davidoff pipe with a black stinger and would probably be worth less if it wasn't all original, it was a present many years ago and only smoked twice, once with the Stinger and once without, not a good smoke and sitting in it's box ever since, I will be down sizing soon and getting rid of the ones I don't collect and that will be one of the first to go.

Yes, I have a Davidoff pipe with a black stinger and would probably be worth less if it wasn't all original, it was a present many years ago and only smoked twice, once with the Stinger and once without, not a good smoke and sitting in it's box ever since, I will be down sizing soon and getting rid of the ones I don't collect and that will be one of the first to go.
I didn't realize that Davidoff pipes were as collectible as they seem to be. EBay does show that they ask well into the $100's. Thank you

Reactions: Carol and jpmcwjr

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I don't want to derail this thread with a sideline argument over wine corks. But, you are right and wrong. They seal better for short periods of time. Two years is the longest I would keep a bottle with a screw top, but corks allow micro oxygenation, which aids better wines in aging, converting smaller chains of sugars into more complex chains.

During the decades of the thirties and forties the USA pipe industry alone, produced about 30 million briar pipes a year, and KB&B made and sold over 10 million a year, probably all with metal filters, which is what stingers were marketed as.

During World War Two aluminum was a highly rationed and scarce metal.

Kaywoodie shrunk the size of their aluminum ball.

Who knows who killed the stinger?

The 6mm paper filter had a role, I think.

A metal stinger became the sign of a cheap pipe.

Today if a pipe takes a Dr Grabow filter the makers besides Dr Grabow and Missouri Meerscahum don’t seem proud of it.:)

Reactions: MattRVA

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I've also read that some will buy these older pipes and get rid of the stinger. These stingers look permanent. At first, I thought they were removable and took some pliers to one. Nope.
Soak the stems in some hot water. They can be stubborn but will pull loose. Tar is sticky stuff. Might also try a little flame.

Personally, I hate stingers and rarely smoke anything without a charcoal filter. When I smoke an unfiltered pipe I use meer chips.

Reactions: Briar Lee

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa

I think Dunhill inner tubes the same in terms of collectibility.

I have an old Pete somewhere that is a "rare" shape and has a "stinger" - it really seems beyond restoration but I've left it as is for now, and apparently left it somewhere I can't find it, lol. Got it for $30, but it is in a lot rougher shape than I'd hoped.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York

The earlier Longchamp pipes had stingers; by the ’70s I think they may not have been released with them. Some of the more exotic skins for the wraps used command in excess of $100.00 depending on condition.

I have purchased ones missing stingers on occasion, but I prefer getting the pipes complete.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I think Dunhill inner tubes the same in terms of collectibility.

I have an old Pete somewhere that is a "rare" shape and has a "stinger" - it really seems beyond restoration but I've left it as is for now, and apparently left it somewhere I can't find it, lol. Got it for $30, but it is in a lot rougher shape than I'd hoped.
LOL, used that search function @OzPiper! :) 🤞 Searched for myself as part of the search term, which has to be a first for the search engine and found a pic of the pipe that I can't find, lol. The "flat grip"!

Image.jpeg