PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RandyP

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
It took me awhile to figure out the name of these odd inserts at the end of the stems of someIMG_5581.jpg new estate pipes I just acquired. Apparently, the guy who smoked pipes preferred them, or maybe they were just popular during the era when he smoked. I just wondered if these pieces enhanced or hindered the draw on the pipe. Anyone know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

RandyP

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
Well, that one shaped like a screw seems like it would make a good cleaner, but the one shaped like a torpedo seems like it wouldn't do much except block a lot of the smoke, and jam tar. Just my opinion.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
It took me awhile to figure out the name of these odd inserts at the end of the stems of someView attachment 282425 new estate pipes I just acquired. Apparently, the guy who smoked pipes preferred them, or maybe they were just popular during the era when he smoked. I just wondered if these pieces enhanced or hindered the draw on the pipe. Anyone know?

I assume they weren’t intended to interfere with the draw. Not sure about popular but you see them in certain older pipes. Only estate I ever had with one it was pretty gross and came out pretty easily and all I can say is the draw was great without it (no idea about before).

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
... I just wondered if these pieces enhanced or hindered the draw on the pipe. Anyone know?

In the post-WWII decades when 20% of all men in the US smoked a pipe, gimmicks became "brand differentiators". A feature that was distinctive and could be (in many cases) patented, heavily promoted in advertising, and so forth.

Did they work? Only in a placebo effect sort of way. Like the trillions of Wonderful & Spectacularly Good! additives found in toothpaste and bar soap. Everyone is selling the same stuff, otherwise.

RandyP

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
I've also read that some will buy these older pipes and get rid of the stinger. These stingers look permanent. At first, I thought they were removable and took some pliers to one. Nope.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Are stingers a good thing? No.

Should they be removed? It depends. If it will devalue the collectibility of the pipe, owner snip away, but realize you may have devalued your pipe for later resale.

If a stinger can be removed easily, put it in a drawer and add it back to the stem when you go to sell it.

I leave them on the pipes if they came with it. I don’t personally believe they add anything to the pipe’s ability to function properly.

It’s your pipe. Do what you want. It’s not like pipes with stingers are hard to find.

Reactions: Carol and Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I own over a hundred Lees and maybe half that many Marxman pipes and every Lee and most of the Marxmans had removable stingers. I own a couple of dozen Kaywoodie four hole stinger pipes with fixed, forever stingers-it was a selling point for Kaywoodie.

The classic stinger works so well I remove them and put them in drawers, except of course for the Kaywoodies.

The stinger acts as a mechanical filter to trap a small amount of water and tar. Each smoke requires a paper towel be used to wipe off the wet, brown residue.

I want all that tasty nicotine and tar in my mouth.:)

Kaywoodie used to claim the stinger lowered the temperature of the smoke entering the mouth. That stands to reason. It surely won’t make it hotter.

But after years of practice I think the smoker subconsciously controls the temperature of the smoke. Think of a stinger as training wheels.

The removable stingers were cheap to make , but they weren’t free. They required an extra step in manufacture.

I wonder if any new pipe today comes with a stinger?

IMG_6911.jpeg

Last edited:

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
IMHO they are bad. They seem to condense some moisture from the smoke and promote gurgling. I removed them from the few pipes that I have had that came with them. The Kaywoodies which were non-removable just got traded on.