PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Awesome. Looking forward to updates. This is basically how I got hooked on new Kaywoodie Super Grains. My lovat was the perfect pipe and started the obsession and company selling them. Ha.
Hey crash, another forum member mentioned in a thread a few days ago that they thought you might be the new owner of Kaywoodie. Are the rumors true? It's great to have so many pipe industry people here :puffy:

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
The balsa filters do nothing to the taste, and the airflow was still perfect.
A few weeks ago I posted a picture on this website of a Savinelli filter I used after 3 bowls that was in the same condition as yours. I also agree that it actually enhances the flavor of the smoke by taking out a lot of the tar and moisture. My post was basically ignored and/or ridiculed, lol. Oh well. I grew up not using filters, then switched to them when my grandfather died of oral cancer (he was old though, not unexpected), started using the papers like you did and I agree that especially if the end gets hot, you can actually taste the paper. My doctor who also smokes a pipe recommended the Savinelli's about 10 years ago and they are great. They're shorter than the papers and collect a ton more tar and moisture, and it does indeed produce a better smoke. Glad you found that out too...others should try it.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Need to change things up a bit. I've been smoking nothing but Briar Fox.
I'm actually not a huge fan of C&D Burley Flake #2, but I keep trying it hoping I'll start to get it.
In preparation of bowl 54.
IMG-20190825-225331.jpg

This stuff takes a while to dry.

Reactions: Ted Vig

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
I've gotten to where I like the C&D Burley #2 a lot; it is an acquired taste, but given that all my others are relatively straight virginia's, it wasn't a huge step (I don't smoke all that fancy latakia and oriental stuff). But I will say this, when you want a good butt whoopin, the #2 is what you want to smoke!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
That's no cake at all for you!
I recently pulled a Grabow Omega out of my reserve box and have been enjoying it.
Looks like you're getting more smokes in than you anticipated.
jay-roger.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yeah with the big size of the bowl, I'm at about half the number I was at with the small cob.
But more tobacco is being consumed this round.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The bit is alright. I have to occasionally switch sides to make it more comfortable. But those are dents. Definitely dents.
My wife complained about the smell of the tobacco I was smoking yesterday. But what she didn't know was that it was the same tobacco I've been smoking for almost a whole month. So I took that as a sign that my pipe was starting to smell. I gave it a warm water flush and she never complained since.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So my last bowl I noticed that the cake is starting to chip and crack. So I guess that means it's time to ream her....
IMG-20190904-114150.jpg

IMG-20190904-114819.jpg

IMG-20190904-115039.jpg

Sad to see it go....

Reactions: vates

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Looking good all-in-all. Many an old timer smoked his Grabow happily for a year, since that was what he had. Keep the blends interesting and it will be September 2020 before you know it.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Nice work on the protective coating for the rim, didi! That thing's bulletproof now.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So due to me wanting to try Virginia's occasionally, I pulled out an old unopened tin. I have heard many times that this blend is mostly Virginia and barely noticeable in the Latakia. So in anticipation I popped the 7 year old tin open and broke down a couple coins. Boy it sure smelled good out of the tin, and the coins were so sticky that the resins were holding most of them together. Looked delicious too.

The humidity here has been very high today, so my usual hour of dry time didn't do anything. So I microwaved the few pinches for 15 seconds and that did the trick. I just couldn't wait any longer.

I didn't like the first tin 7 I smoked years ago, when I first started piping, and well I still don't care for it now. As expected. The flavor is ok, but my mouth hurts. Maybe I'll try it again on a day with less humidity.

So here is bowl 106.

img_20190910_210700-jpg.1504

Attachments

• IMG_20190910_210700.jpg
    IMG_20190910_210700.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 201

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I'm amazed and shocked at how much cake you have (had). I've ran atleast as many, if not more bowls in all my pipes as you have here, and yet I've never built up beyond the thickness of a nickel. Guess my daily wipe with a paper towel really does the trick more than I thought! Also I'm not a huge fan of cake, but its definitely still impressive! Especially for guys who enjoy thick cake!

Status
Not open for further replies.