PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Bowl 238 and it's Time to ream. It was starting to get soggy down in there. The bowls were getting smaller and I could barely fit my tamper down it. I was hoping to keep the cake going but not if the smokes aren't as tasty.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just don't like cake. I scoop then wipe out the bowl with a stiff paper towel every time. It maintains a necessary thin carbon coating, and I never need a reamer, don't own one. I know folks love their cake. No cake means the chamber remains its original size. Good work on the one-pipe challenge. Just like the old timers who only owned one pipe at a time, like my dad.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
How's the pipe faring with all the moisture? I know you said using the balsa wood filters helps but what about the moisture absorbed into the bowl?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
How's the pipe faring with all the moisture? I know you said using the balsa wood filters helps but what about the moisture absorbed into the bowl?
The bowl was surprisingly dry after I reamed it. One quick swipe of a pipe cleaner doubled over in the bowlbto get the remaining dust. Then stuck my finger in it and it came out dry and clean.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
And after posting this looking at the bowl, I noticed that there's a tiny pin hole on the left bottom side. It's where the fill is, and it looks like they just missed a part of it.

Reactions: Ted Vig and rogers

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Had to ream it again last night, the cake was breaking off in chunks and it was uneven. Then I did another warm water flush afterwards.

It's hard to tell by the pictures but the bowl is starting to become misshapen and oblong. I believe it's from the many different cake buildups and tear downs.

But the pipe is now just a perfectly broken in, delicious, Burley beast.

Bowl 309.

Going to buy more jars today, cause I got another pound brick of C&D Briar Fox coming along with 8oz of C&D Pegasus to try too. That one sounds promising (and cheaper too!)
Also getting a box of 100 more balsa filters so I can stop limping through and reusing this pack of 20! Haha

Last edited:

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Great thread! So what is your usual routine? Do you give this pipe a rest once in a while?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That stem looks like the weakest link, chewing through. I don't know what your rules for yourself are, but you could buy a duplicate pipe for a replacement stem, or buy a Royalton with a more durable acrylic stem, though it might have to be fudged to fit. Or a softie is a fix, if your teeth and jaw muscle can tolerate it. My dad smoked all the time from after breakfast to bedtime (time out for lunch) and he only owned one pipe at a time.

Reactions: kingjon

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That stem looks like the weakest link, chewing through. I don't know what your rules for yourself are, but you could buy a duplicate pipe for a replacement stem, or buy a Royalton with a more durable acrylic stem, though it might have to be fudged to fit. Or a softie is a fix, if your teeth and jaw muscle can tolerate it. My dad smoked all the time from after breakfast to bedtime (time out for lunch) and he only owned one pipe at a time.
MSO I thought about it as well, something with the stem. Cause I have other Grabow stems laying around. However im just going to leave the pipe as is. It's actually sort of comfortable for now, it's now grooved perfectly to my teeth.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
BURN THAT MOTHER INTO THE GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm excited to see what it looks like after a year........

explodedcigar.jpg

Reactions: tg51 and didimauw

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Looking forward to your impression of Pegasus. It's goooood stuff, though I prefer Three Friars (my go-to blend).
Pegasus....

Amazing!!!! Tastes to me like salty butter. Everything I've been looking for in a blend. Already have more in the cart as we speak. Cause 8 oz won't last me nearly long enough.

But I still have the briar fox to hold me over!
Canning day!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.