PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I've had only one bottle of "envy producing" scotch in my life. (it was a gift)

Nothing wrong with it, but it was SO smooth it was bland.

Hell, even if it cost the SAME as my favorite (instead of 5 times as much), I wouldn't choose it.

There's no lack of "mine is bigger than yours" competition at those auctions, is there? lol

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
I'll stick to rum. Scotch gets pricey it seems lmao.
Investors seem to hunt out Macallan like headless chickens. Its a shame scotch is so expensive in America. In Scotland we get limited exposure to good bourbon and other American whiskey, but there can be some great value out there. Supermarkets and online retailers often have good deals on Wild Turkey 101, Eagle Rare, Mellow Corn , Rittenhouse Rye amd my guilty pleasure... Bulleit. I normally drink scotch but like to mix it up oncein a while. My go to outside scotch is probably rye. Funnily enough Irish whiskey is relatively expensive here. You have to go quite far up the price point to find a good selection above 40%abv/80 proof.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've had only one bottle of "envy producing" scotch in my life. (it was a gift)

Nothing wrong with it, but it was SO smooth it was bland.

Hell, even if it cost the SAME as my favorite (instead of 5 times as much), I wouldn't choose it.

There's no lack of "mine is bigger than yours" competition at those auctions, is there? lol
one booze collector big spender told me ain't better just rarer.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I wonder what will become of this bottle? 1.4 mil is couch change for some so I suppose it could get poured and drunk but more than likely it will end up stored tax free in a bonded warehouse until it's auctioned off again in a few years.

H

HRPufnstuf

I'll stick to rum. Scotch gets pricey it seems lmao.
I wonder what will become of this bottle? 1.4 mil is couch change for some so I suppose it could get poured and drunk but more than likely it will end up stored tax free in a bonded warehouse until it's auctioned off again in a few years.
Terrible image of some nouveau-riche billionaire drinking the whole bottle "rocks". <cringe> Or worse, I've heard rumours of cognac and coke being popular in asia. God forbid that happens with scotch, too.

• Wow

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
I can only imagine that a 96-year-old Macallan would taste divine.
But the price is truly insane. In my opinion no bottle of anything is worth that much money.