The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 64 | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

Thank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk show for pipe smokers and collectors. We want to thank you for listening and being one of our loyal 15,000 weekly fans. In tonight’s "Pipe Parts" segment Brian will discuss military mounts, spigots and other pipe adornments. We will have a holiday gift guide in the mailbag segment. Our Featured Interview tonight is with Rachel Campbell. Rachel is a young, energetic and enthusiastic pipe smoker and a YouTuber. She is a delight to talk to, and to listen to. Her grandfather smoked a pipe, and then her husband smoked a pipe, so she finally became intrigued enough to do the same. Our pipes are packed, drinks are poured, the sound check is done … pack a pipe, sit back, relax and join us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show.

Tonight’s show is sponsored by Sutliff-Tobacco.com, CupOJoes.com, SmokingPipes.com, Missouri Meerschaum, 4noggins.com, and MeerschaumStore.com, Please give them some consideration when making your next pipe or tobacco purchase.

We hope you enjoy our 50-minute show produced just for you—the pipe smoker and collector. The following link will launch a pop-up player. Alternatively, you can download the show in iTunes after the initial broadcast is complete here.

Listen & Download With These Apps as Well
iTunes Podkicker for Android Stitcher

Rachel Campbell - YouTube Channel

Like what you see here? Why not sign-up for a free membership? We are constantly producing new articles, how-to advice, educational articles about pipes and tobaccos, and entertaining pieces as well.

By signing up, you will receive our bi-monthly email with links to all the new content. You can also participate in our forums and comment on articles without having to fill out the form, (as long as you are logged in). This is the friendliest, most fun, informative and entertaining pipe smoker site in the world. Join Now for FREE!

14 Responses to “The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 64”

Hey Brian,
    good info on the military mount and use of silver. I like a nice decorative silver band on the shank.

Nice interview with Rachel Campbell. There are a number of lady pipe smokers and the group is becoming more noticeable at shows. Sorry, just can’t get into aromatics, but each to their own.

…and of course, Clarence was a pipe smoker.

Great holiday present suggestions.

Hope you had a great time in San Antonio - Take a walk on the Riverwalk.

2. dino said:

What a fun show tonight! Really enjoyed your conversation with Rachel. She has a lovely laugh, and an enthusiasm for pipe smoking that gives us old farts hope for the future of our beloved pastime. Great Gate! And, nice shout out to NASPC; that’s a terrific idea for a gift, a subscription that gets you their wonderful “The Pipe Collector” magazine of news, views, fiction, and even poetry.
    Till we meet again, Dino.

3. natethegreat52 said:

Another great show Brian and Kev. Rachel sounds HOT!!!!

4. balcifer said:

Hey Brian.
    Interesting topics this week Brian enjoyed the information about how silver caps were used on pipes. I also enjoyed your interview with Rachel I hope you will have her back soon.

5. yeperdo said:

Brian,
    I really enjoy listening to your show. I love the diversity of the people you interview on the show. Very refreshing to here a women pipe smokers perspective on the hobby. I always wondered why military pipes had metal bands? Now I know and well really just makes total sense. Keep up the great work it is very much appreciated!
    Jack Carlos

6. kakis said:

Well, for me, this was an example of a show that need not be repeated. Some of the arsine comments above show one problem for/with women in pipe smoking — “She has a lovely laugh” is irrelevant for a pipe radio show and “Rachel sounds HOT!!!!”, that’s not really what pipe smoking is about either or what the purpose of this show should be.

Second, it’s difficult enough as it is, I don’t need to hear another social cover-up story from the “free” US of A, where hubby & wife go into the garage for some “us time” so that the children don’t see them smoking, and all the other stuff this woman went on about. Let her do some pipe growing up and then she might have something to say and sure.

I notice a few youngsters that you’ve been talking to recently of whom I’m not sure that I really want to hear what they have to “say” (so far, very little). Perhaps it’s a marketing strategy to get more young pipe smokers (hey, let them have their YouTube), but for a pipe radio show that also informs, this doesn’t do it for me.

Other than that, the concept of the show is still great and it is a fine service to the community. Plus, judging from the above comments, other people seem to enjoy this constant giggling and engage in their misogynistic “thought” processes. Only because you offer a fantastic show to hundreds, even thousands (?) of listeners who enjoy pipes doesn’t mean that all these people need to converge on their outlook on life beyond the pipe. So, feel free to ignore my comment, I just wanted to voice an alternative view and some content-related criticism.

Keep it up (and return to the good stuff), K

PS: With one comment asking for more of Rachel, may I suggest you put a caption/contents summary in your podcast so that when I see it in my iTunes podcast list I see the general topic (”military/silver”) and interview guest (”hot female YT presenter Rachel ‘Giggles’ Campbell sharing her irrelevant irreverence”). Even without my sarcastic comments, such as one-line contents overview IS a good idea, also for future reference when browsing through past podcasts to find that one great interview with this or that person.

7. natethegreat52 said:

I appreciate PipesMag radio show for the broad spectrum of pipe related history, personalities and industry. From neurologists, poets, pipe makers, master blenders, and tobacco industry giants to the young and energetic new pipers out there who appreciate and love pipe smoking in a world where anything dealing with tobacco is shunned; all can be found listening to Pipes Magazine Radio Show. I find that listening to the enthusiasm of newer pipe smokers to be refreshing and am happy to see the tradition carry on to the next generation. I am impressed by the show’s ability to interest pipe smokers young and old. Thank you Brian and Kevin for keeping the program fresh and interesting. Not catering to one, but to many will keep many loyal and new listeners downloading the broadcast every week.

As for the “HOT!!!” comment above, I was simply complementing my wife in my own dorky way.

Another enjoyable shoe. The “Pipe Parts” segments on military mounts was most informative. I enjoyed the interview with Rachel Campbell. She certainly seems like a most pleasant person. It didn’t do much in the way in explaining pipes and pipe history but it was an enjoyable presentation of one persons journey to pipe smoking. Sometimes we need to remember that any new comer to our hobby who is very enthusiastic about it is a true positive.

9. bigvan said:

I think it was a fine show. Though Rachel is by no means an expert, I think her opinions are just as valid as anyone’s.

In the Pipe Parts segment, Brian you said how “military mounts” got their name because they were a feature created by pipe makers and intended FOR military members. I’d always heard that they were created BY military members in the field as a way of fitting broken stems and shanks using (among other things) spent shell casings.

I guess there’s no way to be sure, but what do the rest of you think?

10. mrjerke said:

Brian, thank you for keeping the show diverse. I don’t expect you to have a legend of the pipe industry every week and I enjoyed Rachel’s point of view on the hobby.

Nate, feel free to call your wife hot all you want.

Kakis, someday when you grow up and get married I hope you tell your wife the same. :-)

11. daveinlax said:

I smiled my way through Rachel’s interview. Her gigglie excitement made my bleak day brighter!! 8O

12. turtleray8 said:

Brian and Kevin, thanks again for doing the interview with me. I am by no means an expert, nor do I claim to be. I’m learning that my tastes in tobacco may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but that’s ok. I giggle when I’m nervous. I don’t smoke around my children because I don’t, but if one wants to smoke in his house, have at it. What I love most about all the people in the pipe smoking community is their openness and acceptance of everyone. What we have in common is the pipe and our love of it, and what differs doesn’t really matter.
    Thanks again,
    Rachel

13. malusrex said:

I just got to listen to this episode last night & truly enjoyed it. Thanks Brian & Rachel for a great show.

The last few weeks Brian’s been asking for our holiday pipe traditions. Well, I don’t know if this fits your definition but here goes…

My wife & I were married 3 years ago on the 11th of December & as her wedding present I gave up cigars & cigarettes. I was allowed to keep the pipe as long as I stayed outside with it.
    On our honeymoon, she picked up a tin of McClelland’s Christmas Cheer 2010. I shoved it in a desk drawer & honestly forgot about having it for almost a year.

Now, on our anniversary, she gives me a tin of that years blend & I get my one indoor pipe of the year as we decorate our tree

Rachel, thanks again for taking the time to do the interview. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to you.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

: Via Press Release - In keeping with the longstanding tradition of introducing innovative new product... 2 comment(s) | 2930 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown As I reflect upon our current condition, meaning the fraternity of pipe tobacco smokers,... 5 comment(s) | 1617 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 5 comment(s) | 1051 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease I'm back from Kansas, and trying to recover from the fun. Pipe shows are great things, ... 3 comment(s) | 822 view(s) per day
    : Gabrielle made her debut on PipesMagazine.com in 2012. This is her 8th appearance as a Pipe Babe sin... 1 comment(s) | 798 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown Over the next weeks and months, I will endeavor to write a series of essays that will be... 13 comment(s) | 681 view(s) per day
    : Allan Shinogle Those of us who have been around for 6 plus decades remember well when smoking in ... 6 comment(s) | 652 view(s) per day
    : Say hello to our newest Pipe Babe, Gina Roode. Gina is a full time musician with an album of her own... 0 comment(s) | 568 view(s) per day
    : James Foster I had first heard about some of Rik's custom tampers after seeing a tamper that looked... 3 comment(s) | 502 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown CHICAGO—Well, the 2014 Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show is in ... 1 comment(s) | 499 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease Some years ago, a certain tobacco, one that was evidently quite popular, highly regarde... 21 comment(s) | 497 view(s) per day
    : Via Press Release - Phillips & King International and Erik Stokkebye are delighted to announce t... 2 comment(s) | 494 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette I admit it. I have a problem. Well, actually, I have a lot of problems, but I'm refe... 17 comment(s) | 485 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 6 comment(s) | 441 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Every time I go to a pipe show, I come away with new information, or, at least, a ne... 25 comment(s) | 421 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 3 comment(s) | 413 view(s) per day
    : We are pleased to announce the April 2014 Winners for the PipesMagazine.com Cartoon Caption Contest ... 1 comment(s) | 408 view(s) per day
    : Laurie Jacobson Hollywood has always been about looking good. That's why the pipe has been there si... 10 comment(s) | 405 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Lord knows that I have been called a "tool" by a number of people (along w... 12 comment(s) | 386 view(s) per day