36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem was that there were so many, pushing down current conversations to the bottom of the list. Sure, a few would be fine. Some were great threads that were a pleasure to read. But, when it is pushing current conversations to the bottom, making things hard to find... And, his replies on some of the threads were rather inane. Not all, but many. It looked like he didn't realize that some of the members were no longer participating or had passed on.

It looked "funny" or as an obvious padding of posts. There are legit ways to get your numbers up.
Otherwise, it was humorous, ...annoying, but humorous.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have enjoyed the old threads. I am reminded of friends from yesteryear. There a good points being made. More than once, I have decided to add a comment, but found that I already made the same comment three years ago.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
It looked "funny" or as an obvious padding of posts
Otherwise, it was humorous, ...annoying, but humorous.
It's amusing but after repeatedly posting them it was just an annoyance. Funny but once he hit 100 posts it stopped. Maybe I'm too quick to get annoyed but it's enough to take away the enjoyment of this forum.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
His 101st post was a "SWAP" post offering to trade Levi's from Guatemala for Captain Black.
The issue isn't bringing up old posts. The issue is posting an irrelevant comment at the end of a five year old post, often with dead links and/or dead pictures, just for the purpose of quickly getting to 100 posts rather than ACTUALLY PARTICIPATING IN THE FORUM. Posting to a 5 year old thread about an ebay sale that was gone years ago tends to suggest it is/was nothing but spam, hurting the overall experience for many, for the sole purpose of hitting 100 magical posts to swap jeans for Captain Black.
And yes - the practice buried all of the current conversations.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
His 101st post was a "SWAP" post offering to trade Levi's from Guatemala for Captain Black.
I happened to see that bit of weirdness before it was deleted. It was, um... strange. 8O
The recent spate of thread resurrections was indeed (apparently) spam related, but the idea itself---if done for the right reasons and in the right way---I continue to think is a good one. I hope this episode will not keep that from happening. (Look at the quality stuff that almost disappeared for good before the History Board was fired up.)

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
georged - agree completely. How many times have we all heard the reverse problem: "Do a search - there's only 100 threads on it already."
And I search and read a lot of threads. No harm in that, right? And adding a question to an old helpful thread has merit, as does adding your own picture to an existing thread - even an old thread - on your favorite brand of pipe. Bottom line - there's lots of great reasons for old threads. And lots that can still be added to old threads.
And then there's spam, and potential fraud. It looks like this got sorted appropriately in the end.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Necroposting gets a bad rap because the context is lost in the intervening years, but it helps build archives of information. What's really needed is an editor for some of the classic threads.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Now and then, a years-old post is interesting. When there are eight and ten in a row, it looks like a going out of business sale, as if Forums is growing defunct.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Interesting thing is iatia smoked his first pipe in 1955, let's say he was 18 by then, so he is around 79 at moment?
https://youtu.be/k7qB8LjPTxc?t=3m31s

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I got it. The old bump your post count routine. Post counts seems so silly to me I don't think of them as a goal. I guess if you need to get to 100 it's a different story. Still, why not just add nonsensical replies to current threads if your goal is to reach a number?

Status
Not open for further replies.