PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I use Zippo's but have used Bic's as well when I don't have my Zippo with me and my son is around (he smokes cigarettes). I prefer Zippo's for several reasons (1) easy to light when it's windy, especially when I'm out in my fields harvesting hay or on my boat (2) they get a lot of flame to the tobacco and quickly (3) I can buy Zippos that fit my personality...Ford Zippos, 2nd amendment Zippos, Don't Tread On Me Zippos, etc. The one big drawback with a Zippo versus a Bic is that it is easier to burn the rim of your pipe, although that's not a big deal to me because all of my pipes look like crap after a year anyway.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I’d use the burning finger of my dead enemies if it lit my pipe.
“My enemy vanquished, the herds scattered, the village aflame and the weeping wives and daughters of my enemies at me feet and clasped to my breast armor.” - Ghengis Kahn

Ghengis, describing a good day. I’ll bet he smoked Pirate Cake in a Cob.

Always a Zippo. Yes, I can taste it.

But GRANGER lights itself, right, Ash?

Jshogan2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2019
SC
I use whatever I happen to have on hand. Traveling it's usually a bic. At home, oftentimes butane. Sometimes Zippo is out and about but close to home...that's just usually how it works out.

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Always loved Zippos and cool lighters in general. But I mostly use a match, it affords me the least possible unwanted fuel taste in my opinions. I have smoked pipes, cigarettes, cigars, and I usually find matches work best for letting the tobacco be center stage.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I like my bic. Always had a problem with the zippo fuel evaporating. But that’s probably something I did wrong. Never had a problem with bics.

fjc623

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2014
New York
Tried both zippo and regular butane soft Flame. Zippo is good outdoors but the lighter fluid taste seems to come thru on the first few puffs might as well light the pipe with a citronella lamp.

Butane soft flame burns clean no smell seems the logical choice.

Reactions: bnichols23

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I find this works pretty well:

FXi75mA.jpg

Goggy302

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2021
Lewes Delaware
I'm new to the pipe world. I like the look of the Zippo but to me I smell and taste of the fuel feels like it's kills the tobacco. So I just stick with butane lighters

Reactions: jpmcwjr