PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Staggerlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2021
Clearwater Florida
Ok, so another thread called 'Show me your Zippo lighter' caught my attention and reminded me that I was given a really cool Vietnam era Zippo as a gift from my wife. It requires you to drench the inside material in lighter fluid as it's fuel. Having smoked Cigars for years, there is no way I'd ever use it to light my precious stick as cigars take a while to light properly and the thought of all that burning lighter fluid fouling it up makes me cringe. Seeing this thread though, I started wondering if anyone here uses it for a pipe? I started doing some research and was shocked to find that today's Zippos still work on the same mechanics. They have a specific pipe insert you can buy, but it still burns fluid. They also have a butane torch insert, which I'll get for cigars, but won't use it on a pipe. I can see using a Zippo for cigarettes as they light quick, but does anyone here us it for pipes? Thoughts?
I use a zippo to light my pipe. The fuel it burns isn’t an issue because it’s pretty clean burning and the amount of time spent drawing it in is minimal. It works in the wind and it is a large soft flame so it covers a lot of area for a thorough light but isn’t too hot so as to cook the tobacco.

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I just bought a Kiribi I am really enjoying when there is no wind but I still love my Zippo in the wind. The wicks are always jammed way up in them from the factory that is why everyone says the fuel does not last. (pull out the cotton make sure the wick is in the middle and goes all the way to the bottom in a Z or W pattern with cotton on both sides) If you let it burn a bit before lighting it helps with the flavor. I also will put a sandwich bag on the insert slide it in and cut away the extra helps to stop evaporation. I like the whole process of the Zippo even the smell adds a free note to the initial pipe light flavor ?

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I have been using a Bic EZ-Reach which is great when there is no wind outside. However the wind outside has been driving me nuts as the Bic became just about unusable. I purchased a Zippo with the pipe insert and it is much much better. Vast improvement if there is any wind.
Yup, this is what I've found too with the Bic.

It's been a while since I've used my Zippo with the pipe insert. How long does it take for the fuel to evaporate out of the lighter? I only smoke once every couple of weeks or so.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have been using a Bic EZ-Reach which is great when there is no wind outside. However the wind outside has been driving me nuts as the Bic became just about unusable. I purchased a Zippo with the pipe insert and it is much much better. Vast improvement if there is any wind.
Face the wind and shield the flame with your palm over the front of the pipe.

20220115_005248.jpg

KaunThePiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2022
New England
www.instagram.com
I've been using a Zippo for my pipes for years. Not a butane insert regularly, but when I know I will be able to smoke indoors. I regularly use the naptha insert for outdoor conditions. If you trim your wick properly and use Zippo brand fuel you're not going to get a huge fuel flavor, but a small taste for a fraction of a second. It's also good to keep in mind the fuel vapors rise, so by placing a pipe insert in your Zippo and holding over your chamber and gently drawing you are drawing the flame downward into the chamber. The bulk of any fuel fumes will not follow.

KaunThePiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2022
New England
www.instagram.com