PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Ok, so another thread called 'Show me your Zippo lighter' caught my attention and reminded me that I was given a really cool Vietnam era Zippo as a gift from my wife. It requires you to drench the inside material in lighter fluid as it's fuel. Having smoked Cigars for years, there is no way I'd ever use it to light my precious stick as cigars take a while to light properly and the thought of all that burning lighter fluid fouling it up makes me cringe. Seeing this thread though, I started wondering if anyone here uses it for a pipe? I started doing some research and was shocked to find that today's Zippos still work on the same mechanics. They have a specific pipe insert you can buy, but it still burns fluid. They also have a butane torch insert, which I'll get for cigars, but won't use it on a pipe. I can see using a Zippo for cigarettes as they light quick, but does anyone here us it for pipes? Thoughts?
yes yes yes. I prefer matches but it gets really windy here this time of year so use the zippo in the winter. And the funny thing is you just have to let the zippo burn for a second or two and there should be zero excess fuel to foul the taste of whatever. It's ironic because that's literally the instructions they give and it really does just take a second to get it right.

Paul lec

Lifer
May 28, 2020
Have a brass with pipe insert. I have used Zippo’s for many years, just like the feel of them??‍♂️ They are really handy on a boat with some wind,I do use a torch lighter for cigars, but to be honest there are plenty of Bics around the house?

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
There are specific Zippos designed just for pipes. I've used them but the fluid adds "flavor". Can someone recommend a good fluid?

Wildlands

Might Stick Around
Jan 17, 2022
NC, USA
There are specific Zippos designed just for pipes. I've used them but the fluid adds "flavor". Can someone recommend a good fluid?
If you want to step away from lighter fluid, you can try a Vector Thunderbird butane pipe insert instead. Amazon has them for $15, I've been using one and love it.

Reactions: Laurent