PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Ok, so another thread called 'Show me your Zippo lighter' caught my attention and reminded me that I was given a really cool Vietnam era Zippo as a gift from my wife. It requires you to drench the inside material in lighter fluid as it's fuel. Having smoked Cigars for years, there is no way I'd ever use it to light my precious stick as cigars take a while to light properly and the thought of all that burning lighter fluid fouling it up makes me cringe. Seeing this thread though, I started wondering if anyone here uses it for a pipe? I started doing some research and was shocked to find that today's Zippos still work on the same mechanics. They have a specific pipe insert you can buy, but it still burns fluid. They also have a butane torch insert, which I'll get for cigars, but won't use it on a pipe. I can see using a Zippo for cigarettes as they light quick, but does anyone here us it for pipes? Thoughts?

Reactions: Laurent and STP

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Most used lighter. Solid, reliable, works outside and in. My taster isn’t so precious that a little lighter fluid matters to me.

The last company I know that actually stands behind the product like companies used to, a hundred years ago. They must keep their accountants on a short leash to do that.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
PXL_20220113_062557074.jpg
PXL_20220113_062842729.jpg

PXL_20220113_062733016.jpg

Current collection. Just got the plain Zippo 6 months ago or so, as my new daily driver. I no longer use the pipe inserts. Being a cig smoker too, I find it easier without the pipe insert. That way if someone asks to use it, I don't have to explain where the flame comes out.

Last edited: