PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Sir Walter Raleigh. Easy to pack, easy to light and keep lit, super cheap, smells good, never had it bite or give any unpleasant amount of nicotine.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
For the past couple months it's really been C&D Miskatonic Mixture. I've found my self reaching for it when I don't want to fuss with flake or wait for something to dry a bit. I've never had a bad bowl of it regardless of its moisture content.
It's official description, "Amidst the old tomes in a remote corner of the library, you discover an obscure reference to an occult recipe: a pinch of granulated Perique over a bed of Katerini and Virginia, finished with a dash of sweet Black Cavendish to cure the Madness."

The perique and cavendish (unflavored) are truly condimental here. Brown/red/(maybe a tad)orange Virginia leaf is the foundation of the flavor with a good bit of musty Katerini. Doesn't bite at all, and offers an easy smoking richness - some dank, earthy, barnyard nuance. No topping at all and if there's much of a casing it's light and basic. I just ordered a few more tins.

If you're into VaOrs, and are into "darker Virginia flavors", don't be put off by the cavendish and/or perique. You may not fall in love but I bet most people would finish the tin.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I just found a folder with receipts of some of my earliest tobacco purchases.
I was buying Escudo for $7.92 a tin. I have a receipt for Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River for $5.99, and this is from '14-15-16. I started in '14. One month in 2016 I brought in 10 lbs of various D&R blends. I still have one unopened bag of Picayune. Rimboche S.J. and A.P. were fine too, but my mixes are an improvement.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I just found a folder with receipts of some of my earliest tobacco purchases.
I was buying Escudo for $7.92 a tin. I have a receipt for Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River for $5.99, and this is from '14-15-16. I started in '14. One month in 2016 I brought in 10 lbs of various D&R blends. I still have one unopened bag of Picayune. Rimboche S.J. and A.P. were fine too, but my mixes are an improvement.
Mmmm Picayune.
I was gifted a tin via the Santa exchange...
Sure would be good to have more of that leaf.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
For me my two easy no fuss ones are Yorktown and Five Brothers. I have never had a bad pack job with either no matter how distracted or stumble drunk. Always hit the spot. Two of the only blends I haven't dumped a bowl after a few puffs reveal not in the mood I thought I was in :). Always hit the spot. Always good no matter what smoking mood I am in. Either really paying attention to the pipe or really paying attention to something else. I.e. I can just smoke them very casually or I can really focus and try and play JimInks with them. Oh and I never get tired of them ever.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
For the past couple months it's really been C&D Miskatonic Mixture. I've found my self reaching for it when I don't want to fuss with flake or wait for something to dry a bit. I've never had a bad bowl of it regardless of its moisture content.
It's official description, "Amidst the old tomes in a remote corner of the library, you discover an obscure reference to an occult recipe: a pinch of granulated Perique over a bed of Katerini and Virginia, finished with a dash of sweet Black Cavendish to cure the Madness."

The perique and cavendish (unflavored) are truly condimental here. Brown/red/(maybe a tad)orange Virginia leaf is the foundation of the flavor with a good bit of musty Katerini. Doesn't bite at all, and offers an easy smoking richness - some dank, earthy, barnyard nuance. No topping at all and if there's much of a casing it's light and basic. I just ordered a few more tins.

If you're into VaOrs, and are into "darker Virginia flavors", don't be put off by the cavendish and/or perique. You may not fall in love but I bet most people would finish the tin.
This sold me. I will buy a tin next time I go shopping.

DedHed Piper

Might Stick Around
Dec 28, 2019
Sweden
Some pre-rubbed up Capstan Blue or Squadron Leader is the daily favos.
For the occational morning smoke (not too common anymore since I'm turning a once a day kinda smoker) HU's English Breakfast.

Reactions: FLDRD

tirefire

Starting to Get Obsessed
The lowly rated C & D's Belmont Station . . . From Tobacco Reviews, ". . . black cavendish and bright Virginias, passing through regions of dark burleys and dark fired Kentucky, elevated by vanilla and dark rum."

A tin sits on my workbench and I scoop some into a MM cob when I don't want to fiddle with flakes and sit and contemplate what I'm smoking. Is it complex? He11 no, but the combination of DFK and the other stuff in there just hits the spot.

Reactions: yanoJL

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
003-016-0034.jpg

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
As a young man, I enjoy St. Bruno. Been that way since I first started in the late 80’s…when I was an even younger man.🙂
No ‘dry time’ for me, no fussing about required with either the flake or ready rubbed (YMMV).
View attachment 180613
On the whole, I have to agree, but I have been reaching for Original (Walnut) Flake quite a bit recently. There’s not much between it and SB but OF is just a tad bit milder I find, and tastes great.

Reactions: Nevaditude