PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
I'm currently working through a try-out tin of F&T Special Brown Flake but Newminster 400, Sutliff 507C & OGS scratch the regular VA flake itch. If they were more readily available, I would probably smoke more FVF and Veermaster. In terms of adulterated VA flakes, Solani Silver, Reiner LGF and Tordenskjold are blends I enjoy.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Daughters & Ryan 3 Sails is a perfect no nonsense Virginia shag that I enjoy every morning. It’s user friendly and relatively inexpensive.
D&R Windsail is also rather good as a straight Virginia and makes an excellent mixer.
It comes rather dry which I like because I hate paying for extra moisture. [Can't believe that some at tobacco-reviews see that as a negative - they don't know how to rehydrate?]

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I don’t have a go to Virginia, that gets boring. There are so many good ones that are inexpensive and readily available.

Some current (available) ones I enjoy:

Amphora VA
MB Pure VA Flake
507C
Golden Slice
Full VA Flake
Royal Yacht
Dunhill/Peterson Flake

VA Based:

St. James Flake
Dunbar
Tillbury
Best Brown #2
Bayou Morning
3P’s
LNF
Opening Night

Man, I could go on and on and on. Too many to list, these are the ones that come to my tired mind. Most of them are readily available. I need variety, especially with my VA’s.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Just curious and didn’t want to start a new thread, im full on in the Virginias now, i have some FVF and some of the Orik coming, i like the Mac Baren Number 1, can anyone point me to some of the sweeter straight Virginias, i love that sweetness but don’t want to go into the goopy aros.

Great information here but really looking for things that are currently available and align with my tastes.

Thanks in advance and have a wonderful day you amazing people and even you that aren’t so amazing, you know who you are, ‘nuff said. ?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
For me, the sweetest virginias are the red virginias.
They can also be a little bitey if pushed too hard.

My personal favorite is Robert McConnell Red Virginia (which contains a tiny amount of perique, but thus doesn't get in the way). C and D also makes a Red Virginia, but I prefer McConnell's. Cheers!
Thank ya !

thedoc333

Might Stick Around
Mar 15, 2021
LA
MB VA #1
OGS
not a fan of newminster 400 I find it too ‘dusty’ and ‘dusky’ not bright enough for warm weather.

would like to see how amphora va measures up.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Orlick Golden Sliced, I know it's supposed to be a VaPer, but I don't taste any perique in it.
I've just received some Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Jubilaeums Small Batch, although I couldn't call it a "go-to", since it's only just been released.
I tried a bowl the other day, but have canned it to get some age on it.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Watch City's Simply Orange Virginia may soon replace my 2nd favorite VA, GLP Union Square. FVF being my first.

Note: SOV is a STRAIGHT Virginia, repeat, a STRAIGHT VA, no toppings, no perique, no other tobacco, no funk, no junk. It's a bell-ringer right out of the bag.

The sad thing is that it's a limited edition blend and it's all sold out. . The good thing is I got 8 ounces. I should have bought the 50 gallon drum of it.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Also, you may want to order some different straight latakia blending tobacco and smoke them "straight." This way you'll know what latakia is all about. That's a jump in the deep end but it can be advantageous. And if you can find it, you must try Syrian Latakia. I'm a Syrian addict and love the stuff.

Reactions: AJL67

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Also, you may want to order some different straight latakia blending tobacco and smoke them "straight." This way you'll know what latakia is all about. That's a jump in the deep end but it can be advantageous. And if you can find it, you must try Syrian Latakia. I'm a Syrian addict and love the stuff.
I do have this from 04, never tried it but hate to open an aged tin to “see what it’s all about”. 72AD7057-2DA3-4C7E-9F66-AB0BF8B8500B.jpeg