Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I enjoy the bulk Virginia selections, like Virginia Slice and the various bullseye and luxury/superior flakes and coins.

I also enjoy MacBaren's Virginia selections, like Vanilla Roll Cake and HH Virginia.

My go to is Virginia Slice with University Flake being a great contender. Also, Amphora Virginia is a solid broken flake that is growing on me.

All of the above are reasonably priced (especially when the 20% off sales occur) and tend to punch above their weight class.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Do I really have to remind you all of C&D Derringer? This stuff is delicious and reasonably priced and fully American. Damn it, it's the freakin' Memorial Day weekend.
Go order some of this immediately for patriotic reasons and the fact that it tastes better than hotdogs and hamburgers and red neck beer.
Rant over!!!
Dang I might have to break out my remaining ounce that has been in a jar for over a year. That stuff is good. Might have to do the hamburger thing too, though. Gonna be 90 degrees here on Memorial Day! That’s straight VA weather, right?

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
More kuddos here for smoking these Va's in this order:
1. Newminster 400 (flavor and price are the 2 reasons--tasty and priced at about $ 1.87/oz at bulk pricing).
2. H Pure Va flake
3. Sutliff 507C

But nowdays, since hot weather's began, I'm drawn toward very dry, fruity aromatics sprinkled with cigar leaf. Burley's have taken a back seat for now.

To each his/her own of course.
kindly,
mike

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
My go-to Straight Virginia is Sutliff 507-C Virginia Slices. But I haven’t smoked that in a while because I put 4 oz. away for cellaring. Can’t wait to try it when it is at least a year old, though I should let it go longer.

My other stand-bys are MB Virginia No 1 and Derringer, but it’s been a minute since I smoked those.

Currently I’ve been smoking a home blended VaPer using C&D blenders (red and yellow VAs and long-cut perique) as well as dipping into Luxury Navy Flake and Bullseye Flake. I mostly alternate between VAs and VaPers on the hand, and some kind of English or Balkan on the other.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Not that I've tried many straight Va's but Newminster #400 and Sutliff Virginia Slices are nice enough when I'm in the mood but Orlik Golden Sliced is my hands down favourite [come on, we all know that OGS does not contain Perique puffy ].
Shame that Orlik does not sell bulk or it would be a daily smoke.

To my tastes Virginia does so much better when it has a touch of something else added, like Perique.
[Often just a touch of Burley can balance a straight Va blend]
My favourite predominantly Virginia blend is aged Aj's Vaper.