PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Petersons university flake was my first blend, introduced/insisted to me by my local tobacconist. That was the only thing I smoked for the first 3/4 years. Hardly ever smoke it now.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
@simong, thank you for mentioning University flake, I should open a tin.
Prince Albert for me.
Then MacBaren burley London blend.

lordbrylon

Lurker
Aug 5, 2016
I can picture the package of the first tobacco that I smoked in a pipe. It came in a white box with black writing on it and I want to say that it had black scroll on the top two corners. I can't remember anything else about it though. My next tobacco war carter hall and then frog morton on the town was my first tin.

Dec 28, 2015
My first blend was Carter Hall. The next day a friend from work brought me two tins to try - Dunhill Flake and Escudo. He also served as my pipe smoking coach (for lack of a better term) and also steered me to this forum. I have been a Virginia flake lover ever since. I then branched out to English and Balkan blends and have finally started getting in to more burley blends. I have tried a couple of aero' but just really don't like any of them. A few I have actually just thrown in the garbage. I guess my progression has been completely backwards from what most people do. I am still enjoying discovering new blends and working feverishly on stocking my cellar before the sky falls.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
My first was Peter Stokkebye Highland Scotch Whiskey.

Smoked it exclusively for probably a year or two.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Carter Hall and Prince Albert were my starter smokes.Then HoW Barking Dog and Smokers Haven Krumble Kake. That was in the mid 1970's...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know what I might have said earlier on this thread, if anything, but recollection tonight is that it was a renamed blend at Tinder Box called North Sea by them, and which was actually Peter Stokkebye's Nougat, if I have that correct. Maybe I'll scroll back through and see what I said four years ago, if this is another zombie thread.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Exclusiv Royal
I had bought a pipe nearly 20 years earlier - Kings Cross Featherweight - and finally decided it was time to give it a try. This was about 3 years ago. I spent a couple of months reading up on pipe smoking before deciding it was for me. I didn't want to smoke aromatics, that much I was sure of. When I began my search around Mexico City for a pipe tobacco blend all I could find was unconvincing so I started with straight cigar leaf. I finally came across some Exclusiv Royal, my first blend. This stuff is a real tongue scorcher and couple that with inexperience, you can only imagine.
Soon I got a tin of Irish Oak, very smooth but it tasted too much like Canadian cigarette tobacco.

Next was a tin of Early Morning Pipe, great tin aroma but it tasted too much like hot air.

I then cracked a tin of Irish Flake and began to appreciated the variety available and the journey I had ahead to discover my blends - and the rest is history.
I did, however, buy up a dozen or so pouches of the Exclusiv Royal and have revisited it, but low and behold there are far more better quality blends in my modest cellar of about 4 lbs. to bother with this tasty tongue scorcher.
Currently my favorites are London Mixture, Golden Extra and Cube Silver.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
I think it was Captain Black Cherry.. It was my late father's favourite and used to smoke it nearly exclusively. So, When I picked up his old pipe and started puffing, I thought of the ole Captain first of all

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Mac Baren's Virginia No. 1
I still remember the honey-like smell when I opened the tin.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Oct. 1963, Freshman year of college. Bought my first pipe and a bag of Middleton's Cherry Blend. In those days, everyone (it seemed) smoked, and many in my dorm smoked pipes. The girls loved the aroma, but I had to change after that first, and only, bag. Was way too sweet, didn't really care for the flavor. Tried several OTC brands over the next couple of years, finally settled on Sir Walter Raleigh; smoked it mostly for the next 20 years, then found English blends.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Prince Albert's Cherry Vanilla. Damn near turned me against pipe smoking. Then regular PA, CH, SWR, and finally the owner of my local B&M back in '91 let me try the '90s iteration of Balkan Sobranie. After that, began exploring non aro blends, and didn't smoke another aro until just a few years ago.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I bought my first pipe, a Dr. Grabow and my first pouch of tobacco, Borkum Riff Whiskey at a local Hook's drug store way back in 1990. I remember smoking that for a pouch or two and then finding my way to the, now long gone Tinder Box at a local mall. Tinder Box had a house blend that smelled heavenly, called Anniversary, which is a cherry aromatic and that was my one and only blend for several years, until I was introduced to the delights of English tobacco (Dunhill 965) at a B&M in Monterrey, CA. while I was in language school for the Army. It's was a lost cause after that!

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Wow! Really had to rack my brains on this one...Long, long ago, in a galaxy very far away, at a Tinder Box in State College PA in a basket pipe... they may have even called it "Beginner's Blend"... probably had to be a light, golden yellow cavendish, maybe some vanilla. Smelled good, tasted like not much of anything. Highly inoffensive. Years later it started back in again with HPSC's Scotty's Butternut Burley, a fine calm and gentle blend as it were. Then GLP released Lagonda, the sun rose, enlightenment ensued, and a whole new universe of TAD entered my life. And now the %^&^&^^$%#^%^XXX FDA Pipepocalypse brings TEOTWAWKI.
"By the waters of Babylon, there we sat down and wept, when we remembered Pipe Zion. On the willows there we hung up our lyres and pipes. For there our captors required of us songs, and our tormentors, mirth, saying, "Sing us one of the songs of Pipe Zion!" How shall we sing the LORD's song in a foreign land?" The lamentations rise upon the land.

Status
Not open for further replies.