PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Hands down, mine was Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - No. 7 Broken Flake. I normally pick up Dark Birds Eye, Kendal Mix, Kendal Dark, Ennerdale, Rum Flake and any of the Dark Flakes or Plugs as they are my staples. After the last few drops, I always saw this sitting around with stock availability. I tend toward stronger blends and thought it might be too light after I read the TR description:

"This is virtually a blend reversal of Coniston Cut Plug with 75% flue cured Virginia. 16 % dark fired, and 9% burley. The blend therefore has far milder characteristics; and is rounded off with the addition of typical English flavours, and a touch of vanilla."

After everything else was gone after the mid-summer drop, I saw this still in and added it to an order figuring "Well, at least its got the sauce." I was joyfully surprised when it arrived and I smoked my first bowl. It is lighter but not light. It's richly sauced and I call it medium strength.

What was your favorite tobacco discovery of 2021?
I smoked a couple ounces of that in 2019-2020 and really enjoyed it. Reminds me of church incense, and yet the tasty, high quality Virginias still manage to shine through. I got some Kendall Flake thinking it would be similar, but it really isn't. Much more perfumey. I have it jarred away for aging. Maybe some cellar time will mellow it a bit.

For me, my 2021 highpoint discoveries were C&D's Derringer -- straightforward, no nonsense, good for blending or smoking straight -- and John Aylesbury Dragon Flake, which probably rates as the best aromatic hands down, and a flake to boot! I'd come back to that time and again if it weren't for it being a bit pricey. It goes great with playing D&D, for what it's worth!

Oh, and I almost forgot about GLP Samarra (aged over 2 years): man, can that guy make a good blend! I have lots of his offerings aging and can't wait to try them all when the time is right.

ClenchedBilliard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 19, 2021
Louisiana
This has been a great year in my eternal tobacco exploration! My biggest discovery this year would probably be Watch City Cigar, thanks to my discovery of this forum (thanks!). I've smoked my way through quite a few of their incredible offerings and The Churchwarden has made the permanent rotation. In fact, I'm eagerly awaiting an order from them so I can try their new blends and Elf Dandruff.
Another gem I discovered is LaFleurs Bluff from the Country Squire. I haven't had a perique explosion like that in a while, I can't recommend it enough.

Paul 3.0

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2019
Anderson, SC
This has been a great year in my eternal tobacco exploration! My biggest discovery this year would probably be Watch City Cigar, thanks to my discovery of this forum (thanks!). I've smoked my way through quite a few of their incredible offerings and The Churchwarden has made the permanent rotation. In fact, I'm eagerly awaiting an order from them so I can try their new blends and Elf Dandruff.
Another gem I discovered is LaFleurs Bluff from the Country Squire. I haven't had a perique explosion like that in a while, I can't recommend it enough.
Man I really need to bone up on some watch city, really interested on trying their offerings.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Cotton Boll, pulsed in a coffee grinder, as suggested by @Briar Lee. Good and strong. And if for some reason my body chemistry is off and all tobacco smoke tastes like burnt pencil shavings, I can always chew a bit to get me through. Good things to know.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
New to everyone: GLP Windjammer. It’s a complex flavor bomb that’s never harsh or overbearing

New to me: Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown Flake. Just right in my wheelhouse for flavor and strength

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's not a discovery for the future, but figuring out how to smoke the discontinued McC's Dark Star Virginia was intensely pleasing, to do this unicorn blend its due. It was/is infamous for not burning very well, despite its expansive complex flavors. I used a hand grater to reduce the size of the pieces and gave it extra drying time, and it came up and stayed lit like a champion, revealing all its elegance and lineage. I have a few more bowls to savor before the new year, and then it will be a sumptuous memory.