PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think I can top Hemingway's proposed epitaph: "Pardon Me If I Don't Get Up."

The idea that the sentient individual can live on after their brain tissue dies defies any concept of life known to science, which might be an argument for why it could be true, a bit like digital material being retained in The Cloud. A loved one nearing the end confided that they did not believe in an afterlife, to which I hopefully replied, "Well, don't be surprised if you wake up somewhere anyway."

My working hypothesis is we must live for ever, if not forever.

I don't think I can top Hemingway's proposed epitaph: "Pardon Me If I Don't Get Up."

The idea that the sentient individual can live on after their brain tissue dies defies any concept of life known to science, which might be an argument for why it could be true, a bit like digital material being retained in The Cloud. A loved one nearing the end confided that they did not believe in an afterlife, to which I hopefully replied, "Well, don't be surprised if you wake up somewhere anyway."

My working hypothesis is we must live for ever, if not forever.
Tom, your epitaph should be... "I guess I won't get around to opening that tin of Royal Yacht after all." puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How about, "Don't Think I Didn't Have Plans For The Next Twenty Years."

The reports of Willie's death have been endlessly and continuously exaggerated. And we'll still miss him greatly when he takes his leave.

I saw him in a pleasant minor league baseball venue on tour with Mellancamp (sp?) and Bob Dylan. His voice was shot after a long tour, but he soaked in the love of the crowd and talked his songs. Dylan did a star turn as the final act. Melancamp cranked up his amps and people put in ear plugs and hid under the stadium -- what a creep. Way out of his league in my opinion. I guess that was to make the crowd love Willie and Bob all the more.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020
On second thought maybe I should have a headstone with a QR code for some GoFundMe regarding my death so my dog can live the high life when I'm gone.

• Love
Reactions: huckleberry

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Someone PM'ed me for elucidation on my post about "living forever," and "living for ever." So here's what I said as an explanation:

I may just tie myself in a knot here, but I'll give it a try. So far as I can see, a biological life, including thought processes and beliefs that might comprise the soul, is limited to our biological lifespan. However, once we have lived, we cannot un-live. We have been here and experienced the universe. And the universe has experienced us.

Time is finite, but it might also be infinite. It might go on forever. Or it might repeat itself. We might relive. Or we may be permanent by merit of having lived at all. Or as the Buddhists say, we may reoccur in different life forms or different human individuals for eons.

If we're permanent by merit of having lived at all, we don't live forever, unendingly, but we have lived our lives as unending beings. We slightly change the universe by leaving behind progeny or by affecting the world, the culture, the language, the environment --even if we have no fame, prominence, power, wealth or acclaim. That's the gist of it.

Reactions: huckleberry

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'd probably use a Warren Zevon line. The first 3 that come to mind are:

Dad get me out of this.

Most accidents happen at home.

Wake me up for meals.

Reactions: Kobold

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You really got a family crypt in Highgate Cemetery, Condor? That place is stacked with famous dead people. Karl Marx and Malcolm McLaren are buried there along with many others. Cool cemetery.
Purchased when the place was opened - all the Condorlovers are planted in the Circle of Lebanon. Marx is buried in the new section across the road.

Jan 27, 2020
I really hope they can just throw me in a composite heap or out in the woods or something marginally useful. As far as a grave what a terrible waste of space. The worst example of hoarding I can think of. What you got in there? A bunch of dead bodies nobody is doing anything with.

It's absurd that we can't just be buried in nature although legal "green burials" seem to be on the rise but I wouldn't be surprised if those funeral homes which do them charge even more for the service...

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Purchased when the place was opened - all the Condorlovers are planted in the Circle of Lebanon. Marx is buried in the new section across the road.
that’s in the old gothic part isn’t it……condor crept into the crypt & crapped, what? Spooky!!😱
Cairo in Egypt has possibly the ‘liveliest’ cemetery I’ve seen. They call it the ‘City of the Dead’. All the old crypts & mausoleum’s have been taken over & inhabited by thousands of the local street Arabs.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
that’s in the old gothic part isn’t it……condor crept into the crypt & crapped, what? Spooky!!😱
Cairo in Egypt has possibly the ‘liveliest’ cemetery I’ve seen. They call it the ‘City of the Dead’. All the old crypts & mausoleum’s have been taken over & inhabited by thousands of the local street Arabs.
That right. Behind each cast iron door is a room with shelves. This part of the cemetery escaped the vandalism in the early 1970s from crazed hippies breaking into vaults in search of vampires. The key to open the door is tricking massive.

Reactions: RonB