Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I keep buying tobacco for the same reason a dog licks his own balls. Because I can. In all seriousness, my buying now is limited to small batches and buffering up my absolute favorites when I can find them. I don't bother trying to make sense of it because there is none.
Mark, knowing you have a problem is half the battle. ?☕

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I probably only have around 5 lbs. I smoke anywhere from 2-5 small-med sized bowls a day so that’s definitely not enough to last me even one year. I am primarily a burley smoker and buy those burley blends as I smoke them without aging them. The main three blends that I smoke are Sir Walter Regular, Pegasus and HH Burley Flake. I’m trying to slow down on how often I smoke my virginias so that I can actually age some, but I have a feeling that the Orlik and Escudo might not make it through the summer. I’ll have to be sure to buy fresh tins of those two to smoke so that I can age the stuff that’s already almost got a year on it.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I have about 84 lbs, cellaring primarily to ensure I'll have something I like to smoke on hand. The total weight seems about right and I've no worries if the impending tobacco apocalypse arrives tomorrow. I have a spreadsheet that I use to track cellar contents, including tobacco consumed with tasting notes, that way I don't stupidly re-purchase a blend I didn't enjoy previously.

Now additions to the cellar are blends I like and the rate of growth in the cellar has tapered over the last 18 months. Another benefit of the cellar is that I can pick and choose when I purchase, to take advantage of sales or B/S/T forums. I'm not inclined to chase after limited editions, preferring instead blends that have an established track record.

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
Due to a high cost of tobacco products and restrictions on imports from overseas an average pipe smoker in EU is very seldom able to build any significant 'tobacco cellar, (those folks who reside in Spain &Gibraltar are exception)

Similar story here Paul. The Government tax imported blends so much they're really not worth buying nevermind cellaring. Fortunately the local producers have upped their game in recent years. Most of the blends used to be mediocre but are now of decent quality and much more affordable than the likes of SG blends.
I'm still not into cellaring it though.

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I have been really interested in Pipes for about a year and a half ( for several years before that it was just a corn cob and a few aromatics). This fall and winter tobacco has been what I have bought. A close friend of mine has also really gotten into pipes this winter and he has already bought way more pipes than I own. (I want more but keep buying blends instead) I have only stocked away a few blends I really like Newminister 400 I have well over 1 lb I bought 5 or 6 tins of Escudo and FVF I have bought several tins of OGS I bought three bags of Esoterica because I found it for a really good price at a B&M. I have maybe 5-7 unopened tins of blends I want to try and maybe 12 tins or bulk blends open and in jars I am working through. My philosophy has been to buy blends and then stock up on the ones I love. The problem I am running into is what Cosmic said I like them all. I am not an English fan but so far but all the Burleys, Virginia, and Perique's I have tried (that are not aromatic or just light flavored) I like . Even blends that I might not like as well when I first try them like Haunted Bookshop, Sutliff 507 or Dunbar after putting them up or stoving them or just coming back to them and I love them. I am struggling to decide which blends to stock up on. There are many blends I want to try both hard to get and readily available but I am trying to put myself on pause. My current strategy now is to stop buying and to work through what I have open and to ask myself at the end of the tin or bulk blend sample do I want more of this or am I board with it and want to try something else. If I want more I will go in for a bigger order. I have put a big dent in my C&D Briar Fox tin that is a blend I will probably by several tins when it is gone (or 1lb brick) . I do really enjoy trying new things but I want a sold supply if prices go crazy. Not being able to get a blend I do not see as that big a deal for me because I enjoy so many blends as there are other quality blends to buy. I can not say that price or country of origin are good indicators of how good a blend will be to me. I like Esoterica and I love FVF but it is not better then aged Newminister 400 or 403 or most all C&D blends I have tried ?‍♂️ I really enjoy variety. I have even found a aromatic I really love by KBV but I am not going to go deep on an Aromatic.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have been really interested in Pipes for about a year and a half ( for several years before that it was just a corn cob and a few aromatics). This fall and winter tobacco has been what I have bought. A close friend of mine has also really gotten into pipes this winter and he has already bought way more pipes than I own. (I want more but keep buying blends instead) I have only stocked away a few blends I really like Newminister 400 I have well over 1 lb I bought 5 or 6 tins of Escudo and FVF I have bought several tins of OGS I bought three bags of Esoterica because I found it for a really good price at a B&M. I have maybe 5-7 unopened tins of blends I want to try and maybe 12 tins or bulk blends open and in jars I am working through. My philosophy has been to buy blends and then stock up on the ones I love. The problem I am running into is what Cosmic said I like them all. I am not an English fan but so far but all the Burleys, Virginia, and Perique's I have tried (that are not aromatic or just light flavored) I like . Even blends that I might not like as well when I first try them like Haunted Bookshop, Sutliff 507 or Dunbar after putting them up or stoving them or just coming back to them and I love them. I am struggling to decide which blends to stock up on. There are many blends I want to try both hard to get and readily available but I am trying to put myself on pause. My current strategy now is to stop buying and to work through what I have open and to ask myself at the end of the tin or bulk blend sample do I want more of this or am I board with it and want to try something else. If I want more I will go in for a bigger order. I have put a big dent in my C&D Briar Fox tin that is a blend I will probably by several tins when it is gone (or 1lb brick) . I do really enjoy trying new things but I want a sold supply if prices go crazy. Not being able to get a blend I do not see as that big a deal for me because I enjoy so many blends as there are other quality blends to buy. I can not say that price or country of origin are good indicators of how good a blend will be to me. I like Esoterica and I love FVF but it is not better then aged Newminister 400 or 403 or most all C&D blends I have tried ?‍♂️ I really enjoy variety. I have even found a aromatic I really love by KBV but I am not going to go deep on an Aromatic.
You made the right choice to focus on tobaccos rather than on pipes like your friend. Pipes will be around, but certain blends will not.
And while you may be tobacco promiscuous, there are worse things in the world. Buy what you like, but edit it down a bit before deciding what to cellar deep.

I have 337.66 pounds of tobacco. It is fully cataloged and sortable by nearly any relevant parameter, as well as by location.

Some of it is rare, some has been sentenced to aging in the cellar, some of it is my daily smoke blends, and some of it was impulse purchases which I will probably offer up for sale someday.

I'm not buying anymore unless there is a very compelling reason. puffy

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Here’s a question…why don’t we as pipe smokers simply buy as we go. Cellaring is a relatively recent phenomenon. Germain’s folks laugh and yell at us for it.? Wouldn’t it be simpler, albeit boring for some, to just have the few blends we like to smoke and re-up as per needed? ?‍♂️

I’ve kind of woken up to the realization that the focus of pipe smoking has become a game/acquisition disorder via through pipes & ?. ☕

Here’s a question…why don’t we as pipe smokers simply buy as we go. Cellaring is a relatively recent phenomenon. Germain’s folks laugh and yell at us for it.? Wouldn’t it be simpler, albeit boring for some, to just have the few blends we like to smoke and re-up as per needed? ?‍♂️☕
I'm a collector by nature. Not just tobacco, I'm afraid... puffy