PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I don’t cellar due to price - i.e. I don’t believe tobacco will cost more in the future after accounting for inflation, return on investment, opportunity cost and buying only immediate needs.

$100 invested smart will always be worth more than $100 in tobacco. I think in the present investment opportunities will be the more than some tobacco offerings will never come back if your considering opportunity as a factor to purchase tobacco or not.

What i'm saying with the above mentioned; you can't view purchasing tobacco as a investment in the way you talk about it. I think we both could agree having a cellar is more like a savings account than being it a true investment. Having a savings account for money is a terrible way to invest in terms of interest, where spending that you would save into that account in tobacco is in that way smarter the prices taking larger hikes than your savings account will ever offer you in interest.

$100 invested smart will always be worth more than $100 in tobacco. I think in the present investment opportunities will be the more than some tobacco offerings will never come back if your considering opportunity as a factor to purchase tobacco or not.

What i'm saying with the above mentioned; you can't view purchasing tobacco as a investment in the way you talk about it. I think we both could agree having a cellar is more like a savings account than being it a true investment. Having a savings account for money is a terrible way to invest in terms of interest, where spending that you would save into that account in tobacco is in that way smarter the prices taking larger hikes than your savings account will ever offer you in interest.
I pretty much said the same thing.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Just north of 80 lbs. I average about 2 1/2 bowls per day. That comes out to around 7 lbs per year. If I live another 20 years, I’ll need 140 lbs if I maintain my current rate. * I don’t smoke on days when it’s unusually cold (anything below 0 F) nor when the temps go above 90.
My consumption goes way up when I’m on vacation. Enjoy four or five bowls a day then.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
It’s interesting how everyone looks at cellaring pipe tobacco and how they consider what constitutes enough. It’s certainly a preppers mentality based on comfort/contentment. I’d like to have enough that if I had to stop buying for a time I have enough to carry me through to better times. There are some that I will always want, so working to get a good quantity. But, some of those blends aren’t exactly the easiest to come by… and I’m reminded of Finding Nemo every time certain tobaccos have a “drop.”

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I’ve answered this question before by guessing at about 30 lbs. I really have no clue how much I really have because it is a very fluid situation. Admittedly, it’s probably well north of 30 lbs.

Kind of like how the older I get, when guessing how long ago things happened I always think +-5 years, and am shocked to find out that it was really 10 or more.

Maybe one day I will have the time and desire to take an inventory. Maybe.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
I wonder if many of the tobaccos you think you will love forever you eventually change and sell later. Or yeah you realize you won’t ever get around to smoking it. Plus I just like buying new things so I can’t imagine being “done” shopping for 15 years because new great things are coming down the pipeline.
Plugs. I'm pretty much a sucker for anything in plug form (not to be confused with crumble cake, I'm looking at you black frigate!) In volume, they occupy less space for any given weight of ribbon, and I can come up with lots of other reasons to justify it. Honestly, I just like them and don't have a compelling reason as to why.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It’s interesting how everyone looks at cellaring pipe tobacco and how they consider what constitutes enough. It’s certainly a preppers mentality based on comfort/contentment. I’d like to have enough that if I had to stop buying for a time I have enough to carry me through to better times. There are some that I will always want, so working to get a good quantity. But, some of those blends aren’t exactly the easiest to come by… and I’m reminded of Finding Nemo every time certain tobaccos have a “drop.”

I've known people who have substantial cellars who still look at one blend or another and say they don't have enough of it. It's not so much that they want to have enough in the aggregate to last till they fall off the twig as that they want to have a full and deep selection left over when they fall off the twig.

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Plugs. I'm pretty much a sucker for anything in plug form (not to be confused with crumble cake, I'm looking at you black frigate!) In volume, they occupy less space for any given weight of ribbon, and I can come up with lots of other reasons to justify it. Honestly, I just like them and don't have a compelling reason as to why.
I just got my first plug the other day and I honestly must be doing it wrong because it seems like a couple extra steps that seem unnecessary when shag exists out there. Maybe I'm just lazy. lol