PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Nearly all of my pipes were purchased below the $100 mark and I have fewer than 20, and mostly estate pipes.

The pipes that immediately come to mind -- based on a combination of size, smokability, and attractiveness -- are
  • BriarWorks classic light sandblasted billiard
  • Viking Skagen classic smooth author
  • Peterson System Standard smooth calabash (305)
  • Irish Second (probably Peterson) smooth billiard with saddle stem (my least expensive: a basket pipe for about $25 nearly 10 years ago!)

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Back in 2006 when you could go on the Boswell Tobacco&Pipe web site most days of the week and find 5-6 pipes for sale in the $85- $95 range, I ordered my first two pipes from him - both under $100.

A small pocket pipe I love to take duck hunting- $80
A freehand, full bend that smokes like a dream -$95

I have a Jean Claude Apple, full bend bought in Kirkuk, Iraq for $75

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Back in 2006 when you could go on the Boswell Tobacco&Pipe web site most days of the week and find 5-6 pipes for sale in the $85- $95 range, I ordered my first two pipes from him - both under $100.

A small pocket pipe I love to take duck hunting- $80
A freehand, full bend that smokes like a dream -$95

I have a Jean Claude Apple, full bend bought in Kirkuk, Iraq for $75
Boswell does make some good smoking pipes. ?

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
You have to promise not to tell anyone. My reputation would suffer irreparable damage if this got out, but in my top five is a Brebbia Avanti that cost me a whopping $2 and smokes absolutely beautifully.

If you repeat this I will deny it.
Wow $2! I bought an estate Brebbia on Ebay and it is a great smoker. I can't remember what I paid for it. Maybe $30? I don't smoke it as often as I should.

Oops, I just realized Estates were to be excluded. I don't think I have any that qualify once inflation is taken into account.

StPaulPiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2021
St Paul, MN
Nearly ALL of my great smoking pipes were bought for less than 100 bucks, but they're also mostly estates that I restored. Best new smokers have been a couple Stanwells, and a Savinelli or two on sale (that barely qualify). I also tried a Road Town and a Golden Gate (for around $50 each), and both are better smokers than my some of my over-100 brands (I won't name names).