PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I have had the pleasure of sampling probably 50 or more tobaccos in my smoking lifetime of 42 years and by and large most have been good to excellent. There have been a few clinkers, though. My question is: what is the absolute worst tobacco you have ever sampled? In my case there is no contest, it was Mixture 79. I actually tried this one twice, once when I first started smoking and once again over 35 years later when I got a free pouch in some Altadis samples. I smoked the last one in a cob and threw both the tobacco and pipe away because I didn't want to take the chance of tasting it again if it ghosted the pipe. It reminded me of smoking cheap old woman's perfume. I know this tobacco was the choice of Hugh Hefner and Frank Sinatra. If they enjoyed it, more power to them. They can have all of it they want, including my portion!
Smokey

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I use Borkum-Riff to stuff in the seats of the chairs I don't want the kitten to pee on. I never worked up the nerve to smoke it though!
I guess the worst I've tried and hated immediately was 7 Seas Gold. I love Royal and Black, but Gold is not my friend!

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
For me it was MacBaren Dark Twist. Nothing against MacBaren, I like all the others I've tried from them. I still have the Dark Twist in a mason jar. It's about two years old now. If anyone happens to like it I'll be happy to ship it to you, just PM me an address.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
PM sent!

I love it but it is very expensive by the ounce at my B&M that way. I would most certainly appreciate smoking what you have

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Borkum-Bloody-Riff mate ... that dried horse shite damn near put me off for life. I even went so far as to write to their HO in EU asking how in all conscience they can actually produce such vile crap and actually charge handsomely for it.
Within 48 hous, they (the Aussie arm) wrote back apologising profusely, offering to replace it due to a production problem whereby they'd taken to spraying the pouches with flavour instead of the baccy & it had been a monumental fail.
I declined their kind offer saying I never wanted to lay eyes on the stuff again, so they offered Aronmore in lieu - I gratefully accepted, they delivered 2 pouches to my tobacconist who will credit my a/c to the value ($77)and send me McClellands loose, yippee :) So, whilst my faith is restored in the company's business ethics, I shan't ever smoke it again, I'm sure I'd dry retch if I tried.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Yay for good customer service! But aussielass, it really does make GREAT animal repellent. Carbide, the kitten with the personality of a drill bit, just sits near the chair and looks at it longingly. :rofl:

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
I dunno why you pick on poor Carbide so ... he clearly has superb discerning abilities, and I thought he was absolutely gorgeous in that photo, and I am definitely NOT a cat person ... "The onl good cat is a .....", nope, better not, may lead to another flare up lmfao.

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
When I saw the title to this thread I thought "Aha...I will tell everyone to beware of Mixture 79".

I was very disappointed to find out someone else had gone first with a report on the nasty stuff.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Carbide is a stunning and awesome kitty! He just likes to pee in my leather chair and we have a disagreement about that. :D
The drill bit reference is because he is CONSTANTLY moving, spinning, and tearing things up. I like spirited animals, though. Carbide lives with us because our other cat, Spooks, was mourning the death of Ernesto, EL PUSSY GATO OF DOOM!!1!!!1! terribly. My Dad hates cats too (he got attacked once while putting the moves on a girl and her cat got mad) but he's given his stamp of approval to Ernie and Carbide. Spooks is... not exactly a social cat. :lol:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
For me the one tobacco I will never smoke again is Stanwell Melange.

While citrus is ok (sometimes) as a flavoring in tobacco...

But, this stuff is over the top.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
No matter how much I want to like Samuel Gawith Black XX I just can't do it. It is the worst thing that I have ever smoked. :(

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I have never yet found a tobacco that I can't add something to it to make it right, I love mixing different tobaccos and love a challange.
True; I did smoke most of said French Vanilla blend cut 1:3 with Amphora Original Blend (brown)...while not the greatest thing I've ever smoked, it was smokable.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Dreamcastle Vintage Black and Gold. It not only tasted vile, I had to throw out the cob I had smoked it in. :puffy:

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
In recent memory, Captain Black Cherry, but I was able to fix that. It's been almost 30 years since I've had Borkum Riff (think it was some kind of whiskey blend) and that was pretty bad, but again wound up in an odds and ends bag that turned out nice.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
The worst smoke I every had was unrelated to the tobacco. I probably would enjoy them now. I often load two pipes, one with aromatic and one with english. I tried a new blend of each. The problem was I had an empty stomach. One or both gave me such a nic hit I was wavering while walking. Before the night was over, I was hugging the toilet. Both were tossed immediately. That was my worse smoke ever.
Winton

bgbarcus

Lurker
Feb 15, 2010
Mixture 79 is definitely the worst tobacco I've smoked but sniffing it was enough warning that I was not too surprised. The worst smoke was the shock when I tasted how bad Bob's Chocolate Flake was.

Status
Not open for further replies.