PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This one's been haunting me for a week or two now. I love just about all of his carvings, but like the Celtc Knot I acquired earlier this year, this Buffalo just kept calling to me...so I surrendered to the inevitable...it's on the way.

I have plenty of clenchers at this point, so I'm finding myself drawn more to these types of exquisite carvings now...Yanik's in particular.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Beautiful! Yanik did a really nice job with that one.
He is a true artist. I can't really imagine carving an image like that with such impressive detail out of a block of meerschaum. If I attempted any such thing it would look like a 5 year old did it.

I also really like the shape and length of the stem here...it appears to be just right to achieve a good balance.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Brian, that’s a figural meer I could see myself owning. I’ve always admired your taste in pipes, as you well know and that one seems to be coloring nicely as well 😉.
It's coloring dynamically!

I agree about figural meers. I'm just not interested in the run-of-the-mill type that are a dime a dozen. I've settled on the view that I either want classic shapes or really unique works of art such as this one.