PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
All this talk of Beefalo got me thinking I should commission a Jackalope meer.

Jackalopepc.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Well, it did arrive safely a few days ago, and the pics don't do it justice...it truly is a magnificent carving.

That's the good news.

IMG_20230111_211936.jpg
IMG_20230111_211958.jpg
IMG_20230111_212049.jpg
The bad news is I've never seen a pipe drilled like this. The previous Yanik I purchased was drilled perfectly so I guess I just trusted this one would be too...but I've learned the hard way to request a chamber pic before ever purchasing another.

I have not smoked it yet because I have been attempting to contact Yanik about it first but have not yet heard back.

I suppose it's possible it might smoke ok, but the drilling goes way down below the chamber and it has a huge slot cut into the bottom of the bowl instead of a normal draft hole, creating a sort of chamber beneath the chamber. I was rather taken aback when I saw it. Don't know what to make of it...never seen anything like it.

The second pic below has a pipe cleaner inserted to make it easier to see how it's drilled. It's only in part way...you can actually push the pipe cleaner a bit beyond where the slot ends...the sub-chamber continues on burrowing beneath the bowl. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_20230113_231341.jpg

IMG_20230113_231523.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230113_231341.jpg
    IMG_20230113_231341.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Love
Reactions: Briar Tuck

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well, it did arrive safely a few days ago, and the pics don't do it justice...it truly is a magnificent carving. That's the good news.

View attachment 194721
View attachment 194722
View attachment 194723
The bad news is I've never seen a pipe drilled like this. The previous Yanik I purchased was drilled perfectly so I guess I just trusted this one would be too...but I've learned the hard way to request a chamber pic before ever purchasing another.

I have not smoked it yet because I have been attempting to contact Yanik about it first but have not yet heard back.

I suppose it's possible it might smoke ok, but the drilling goes way down below the chamber and it has a huge slot cut into the bottom of the bowl instead of a normal draft hole, creating a sort of chamber beneath the chamber. I was rather taken aback when I saw it. Don't know what to make of it...never seen anything like it.

The second pic below has a pipe cleaner inserted to make it easier to see how it's drilled. It's only in part way...you can actually push the pipe cleaner a bit beyond where the slot starts...the sub-chamber continues on burrowing beneath the bowl. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 194726

View attachment 194725
My nude is drilled the same way.

• Sad
Reactions: brian64

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Do you smoke it much? Seems like it'd get clogged up easily down there.
I've probably smoked it less than 20 times. I have to disassemble everything to clean it, and even then getting pipe cleaners through the draft hole is a chore.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I've probably smoked it less than 20 times. I have to disassemble everything to clean it, and even then getting pipe cleaners through the draft hole is a chore.
I finally got a reply from him...he claims it's perfectly normal drilling. All I can say is it's not at all normal in my experience...looks totally wonky...like the drill went way under the bowl and then he just cut a slot out to access it.

I'll just have to see how it smokes...that's all that matters I guess...except for cleaning as you said. Murphy's law I guess...the one time you buy a pipe without seeing the chamber is the one time it's going to be something like this.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Well, I can understand your frustration at having an amazingly carved pipe with less than perfect drilling. No advice here but I’m the type of guy to probably just smoke it and take the carver’s word that it’ll all be fine.

Reactions: Deano and brian64

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
And besides, meer cleaning has apparently been debunked anyway. That sub-chamber portion of the airway will get filled with gunk and help color your pipe. See, it’s for the best!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Well, I can understand your frustration at having an amazingly carved pipe with less than perfect drilling. No advice here but I’m the type of guy to probably just smoke it and take the carver’s word that it’ll all be fine.
Yeah, honestly I love this carving so much that I'm actually glad I didn't see a chamber pic because I know I wouldn't have purchased it if I had lol. That's true PAD derangement for you.

The thing is, pics are weird in the sense that they don't convey an entirely accurate perception of depth and proportion. The "slot" as I call it looks jarringly large seeing it directly...and there is a deeper space there than how it appears in those pics. So it's a bit worrying that it could get easily clogged up down there.

Below is with the pipe cleaner all the way in and you can also see how it does not actually enter the bowl but continues on beneath it. Anyway...I'll just have to see how it smokes over time.

IMG_20230115_091448.jpg