SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 1, 2012
My mom kept us home instead of bringing us to Grandma's house when we were sick. My grandma lived alone and didn't make much money. A couple days off meant choosing between food and medicine for the month. Old fashioned, I know, but respect and caring for the elderly is too.

Off topic, I still remember killing hundreds of wandering garter snakes on her property to keep her house from getting fully infested.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
I was raised in my Grandparent’s home and may God help you if you coughed or sneezed at the dinner table without covering your mouth! I can see my Grandfather’s face now, “ I worked my ass off to buy this food and your Grandmother worked hard to prepare dinner. You will not disrespect it by coughing all over it.”

If you had to blow your nose that was done after you got up and left the room.

Last edited:

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
We were never ones to knowingly take our kids to anyone's house if they were contagious with anything or symptoms at either end that might be considered too much to put upon someone else -- but always a matter of degree. Probably wouldn't be too excited if someone brought a sick kid for dinner that's coughing and whatever all over the place --- if it was that bad, I have no doubt my wife would deftly handle it and a special table for the kid and whatever parent wanted to join it would appear with no hint of stigma and she'd make sure I kept my mouth shut, lol.

Reactions: fireground_piper

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
To @Sigmund 's point, the issue really begins with one of entitlement. Today's children and their parents were raised in a time when one does not have to consider common courtesy or any viewpoints that might require someone to think of someone other than themselves. The attitude of "anything for the children" boils down to the children as "anything for me".

The issue isn't that we don't value our elders; I believe the issue is that we over value our children at the expense of our elders. Young life is important and definitely needs to be nourished. But older life is just as precious and no less valuable. The elderly may no longer be able to reproduce, but what they have to offer is no less valuable - but in today's society, it is a commodity that is deemed worthless and one that impinges on the perceived overvaluing of youth.

The elderly are dismissed, mocked, seen as obstacles, and described with numerous pejoratives that would be called out immediately if they were used to describe any other group.

It's not that family isn't important. It is. But respect and value goes both ways and sadly, our society has chosen to make this a oneway street when it comes to children versus older adults.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I think the biggest problem is showing up without invitation or calling ahead. I don’t care if you’re young and snotty or old and crotchety. Don’t show up at my house without letting me know at least 30 mins to an hour in advance or you will not like how you’re welcomed.
That's me. I will help anyone coming to me for help, even grudgingly, but I react badly to unannounced frivolous guests, no matter who they may be.

Reactions: Speak Easy

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
If there over at your house you can say something to the parents if you wish. You probably won't see the parents or kids for long time but that's the way it goes.