PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Im more concerned about my wife. I stay away from him when he is sick but she feels she has to take care of him and her health isnt that hot. Of course since its her family I cant say anything. If it was mine I would give them a piece of my mind.
I think every family has their own heath circumstances and ideas about what is proper or responsible in regards to sick kids and potentially at risk family members. Your opinions are valid as are those of others that oppose them. There is no “right” or “wrong” here

Reactions: fireground_piper

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well...ours are local and sorrry...they are not welcome sick. Especially without notice. They are not grandchildren...they are just in the family. I would have never taken my son to anyone sick without letting them know. I guess that makes me a bad guy but that was how I was raised. If I say fine thats on me....but just showing up like its all good is not ok in my book. And like I said...teach your damn kids when they are sick some basic precautions...even if they are meager. Sorry but to me manners make a difference. I suppose Im Just an ass but Im fine with that.
I think you hit on my big problem with that stuff. Letting them know. Especially if you're talking about an older person and especially if the children are able to be seen regularly anyways.
Actually happened to a guy I work with one of his relatives lied about their kids being sick and basically got the whole family sick including some elderly people that are medically having a hard enough time already without that extra b.s.. To me that shows zero respect for anyone and says what the parent wants is more important then what everyone else wants or needs.
So the parents that feel their children and their own wants are more important then everyone elses wellbeing are at least sort of childish jerk faces.

Reactions: ophiuchus

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Private property rights.
Those whose home is being visited have the right to determine who enters. But those wishes must be shared because they won't likely be transferred via osmosis.
Someone trying to avoid germs doesn't understand physiology, but they have the right to control who enters their personal abode.

Reactions: fireground_piper

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Someone trying to avoid germs doesn't understand physiology, but they have the right to control who enters their personal abode.
Maybe. But, for me, kin are welcome any time, for any reason. Family needs and wants simply take precedence in my life. Right now I'm a wee bit estranged from my stepdaughter but, she'll want for nothing as long as I'm above ground. She knows that, of course, and has never burdened me.😍

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Okay I’ll be Captain Obvious.
Hey OP, is there a smidgen of a chance that reality of the situation is a bit more “nuanced” than what you’re letting on?
I hope so, otherwise you are just sounding like a dick.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Because no one has an immune system or why?
What does that have anything to do with not wanting to be sick. I understand I won’t die, but I still have no interest in being sick.

I can live without various body parts too but I choose to be careful in keeping them at 100% because I don’t feel like dealing without them. It’s a nuisance that if I can avoid, I’d prefer to.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
My time in Chicago taught me to make all socializing an away game. When I moved, I took it with me.

Banquet halls can be rented, state park sites can be reserved. Roadside parks are great places for family gatherings. Pool halls and bowling alleys are great for gatherings with co-workers. Events earlier in the day, kids are welcome.

At home … no guests. Immunity has nothing to do with it. (Hell, I worked in a 40+ bed Emergency Department through the pandemic.)

I realize that this is abnormal. ;)

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
What a contentious subject. I grew up and believe in the normal, day to day, exposure to whatever is going around. With one exception, older folks, with known debilities/infirmities, should be protected where possible.
Preferable. Though our grandson and his son live with us and I get whatever the great grandson brings home including Covid a couple pf years ago. My wife has an immune deficiency besides.