PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Aaaand....I have no idea what you just said. August, deeming, got it.

As for buying a pound - my experience with liquor says you may be right. So I'll go with some blends that at least have passed the test of time. Choco-Whamo et al probably won't make my list. Thanks much for your input.
Lol. I think the general consensus is to continue to try some stuff and get to know it. As you mentioned, your tastes are already changing. Early on my strategy was to never buy 1 tin of something. I used to but at least 2. Try one save the other. If you like it, great, you’ve got another tin and might add some more. If you don’t, jar what’s left and try it again in 6 months or so. If you still don’t like it you can usually trade or sell the unopened tin and even the jarred stuff. If you find something you absolutely love, stock up a bit. Stay away from heavy aromatics for now. Most beginners don’t have great luck with them.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
How could you have loose, aged tobacco to tap into anyway? I suppose were it already 10 years old, you could open it and dole it out in small increments. I'm inclined to smoke an aged tin in a reasonable period of time once it is opened.
Wouldn’t be a smart business decision, but suppose a retailer put several pounds of bulk away to sell it at an “aged premium” a few years down the road. Maybe it’s something unpopular that’s been laying around and hasn’t sold. Maybe it was several pounds of bulk that was forgotten on the back of a shelf, maybe it was a warehouse find from 2010.

Can’t imagine SP or P&C cracking a tin to sell it “loose” (aged or fresh). Is there a legal minimum they have to sell? Smallest I’ve ever seen is an oz. Could a seller sell a few grams/a bowls worth if they were inclined to. I get it not being worth the hassle, but could they if they wanted to?

Wouldn’t be a smart business decision, but suppose a retailer put several pounds of bulk away to sell it at an “aged premium” a few years down the road. Maybe it’s something unpopular that’s been laying around and hasn’t sold. Maybe it was several pounds of bulk that was forgotten on the back of a shelf, maybe it was a warehouse find from 2010.

Can’t imagine SP or P&C cracking a tin to sell it “loose” (aged or fresh). Is there a legal minimum they have to sell? Smallest I’ve ever seen is an oz. Could a seller sell a few grams/a bowls worth if they were inclined to. I get it not being worth the hassle, but could they if they wanted to?
First, I wouldn't trust someone cutting oz's from an aged bulk. Too many questions... was it aged in jars or the bag? opening the jars randomly can kill an aged blend, how long did the bulk set between openings? Has it gone to shitdust?

I don't think there's a minimum, but it is not good business sense to encourage small amounts. One oz isn't really enough to give a blend a solid go. Selling even less is just making more stupid work for less money. When I try a new blend, the least I buy is three tins. One to try now, one to try in a few months, and the last top forget about till it is old. But, mostly I will buy 10 tins or a pound to try. I've rarely found a tobacco that is so degusting i couldn't smoke it at all, or at least find a time that I would enjoy it later.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Common sense would dictate it isn't feasible for a retailer to keep an inventory of tobacco for 10 years to then sell in small quantities. Nobody could afford it, the vendor would have to sell it at $100 or more per ounce to make it worth their time.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
It's not like tobacco goes through a huge metamorphosis with age. If you like it fresh, you'll likely like it a bit more with some age. If you dislike it fresh, highly unlikely that age is going to move it into your must cellar list. I think you'd benefit by trying to find blends you like fresh and starting to cellar your favorites.
exactly. I bought and smoked some aged Maltese Falcon, smoked the new stuff and there wasn't a dramatic difference. Maybe my palette isn't that sophisticated but I should've just bought a bunch of the fresh stuff.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
I would just take a little time and look through the tobacco review section here, watch tobacco reviews on youtube, look at your online vendor of choices' tobacco descriptions, and most importantly educate yourself on the basic types of tobacco you smoke and the common flavors you get from them. Most importantly Virginia tobacco ages well. Burley does a little. Latakia diminishes with time. Orientals loose potency. Mixtures and blends meld. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff but basic is basic.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I’m just teasing. I think it’s an alright tobacco most likely. I just think certain tobaccos you see a much more dramatic change. Like esoterica Dunbar fresh and with 20 years of age are not even the same beast.
I know man, all in good humor. I've bought a lot of the newer tobacco and now I'm interested in buying some harder to find older tobacco thats of the quality that you mention.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's not like tobacco goes through a huge metamorphosis with age. If you like it fresh, you'll likely like it a bit more with some age. If you dislike it fresh, highly unlikely that age is going to move it into your must cellar list. I think you'd benefit by trying to find blends you like fresh and starting to cellar your favorites.
From my experience it mellows and that can do amazing things sometimes. But basically it's just smoother which can also mean blander.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
You must not like Virginias.
I do! But I’m not sure that I like aged Virginias like everyone else. It’s possible I will in the future, but for now, no.

I’ve got some fresh FVF and 8 year old FVF, and while I can tell the difference, I don’t really care for one over the other. Same with having compared some 5 year old bullseye flake to some I kept in a jar for only a year.

I count myself lucky, like finding a seven dollar bottle of wine I really like.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
If you buy from Pipestud’s, be sure you are at his site first thing in the morning on Saturdays, because the tabac always sells out FAST!

Reactions: BROBS

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
You just gotta taste ton of stuff until you know what you like and what you don't like. You can read the reviews until cows come home, but that won't let you actually taste the blend. What I did when I first started smoking pipe was keep my eyes open as to what was popular. Try those first. Then I picked a brand and went down the list and tried things that sounded like something I would enjoy. If you find you like certain genre, you can find ton of suggestions on the forum. Just have to dive in and taste as much as possible. Don't forget bulk blends, some are pretty good at very attractive price. And smoke each blend in as many different pipes as possible. English/Balkan is definitely better in wide bowl.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.