PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Before I start purchasing additional quantities of bacca for cellaring, I'd like to try several aged blends to learn what I want to shoot for, but I've been unable to locate any regular vendors who sell the aged blends in small quantities. I'd be happy to spend for a whole tin of something I've tried and liked, but I'm too much in the learning phase to make those purchases now. Is there a good source for small quantities (ie. one ounce) of aged blends?

You know, just buying 1oz of something is NOT giving that tobacco a shot. Maybe a whole tin, but even then... especially if you are new to this, you're not going to have any idea what you will like a few months down the road. We've all been there.
I say go in for a pound, minimum. If you dick around too long, you'll wait till August and just be shit outa luck. I don't envy you guys right now. You've got a lot of catching up to do to get yourself set before deeming date rolls around. And, no one is 100% certain what is going to happen going forward after deeming.

And, unless you are a kicking and screaming picky food eater, any tobacco can be enjoyed.

Just a FYI... trying vintage tins is a good way to see what tobacco made 20 years ago taste like now with 20 years of age. It will give you an approximate for a genre, say latakias or Virginias... but, those tobaccos put in the tin 20 years ago, is no longer the tobaccos being put in those tins today.

For example, Escudo... years ago, it aged really damned well. Now, I wouldn't buy a tin of the shit they make now. It will no longer age well. It's no longer good fresh, and is no longer going to age well.

And, many of the vintage tins that Pipestud sells are no longer even in production. And, he is definitely not going to cut a sample out of one.

Just saying...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Before I start purchasing additional quantities of bacca for cellaring, I'd like to try several aged blends to learn what I want to shoot for, but I've been unable to locate any regular vendors who sell the aged blends in small quantities. I'd be happy to spend for a whole tin of something I've tried and liked, but I'm too much in the learning phase to make those purchases now. Is there a good source for small quantities (ie. one ounce) of aged blends?
Short of the kindness and generosity of individuals here, your chances of buying aged samples from retailers is zero.

As far as predicting how a blend may age, there are variables that figure in, not the least of which are the conditions under which the tin has been stored. A few years back I bought several aged tins of Haddo's Delight from the same seller's cellar. Two were great and one was dried out mummy dust.

Better off to focus on what you like to smoke and stock up on it. It will age how it ages, as will you.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
There's plenty of good stuff available now that's good fresh as well as aged. The aged market is over buy it now, age it yourself and follow the journey of the tobaccos you put away.

You can always indulge in something older and rarer that can sometimes be found on here in single oz. But, like mentioned above, good luck getting aged tins with any consistency if they really tickle your fancy!

Learn your pallet and enjoy the journey!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It's not like tobacco goes through a huge metamorphosis with age. If you like it fresh, you'll likely like it a bit more with some age. If you dislike it fresh, highly unlikely that age is going to move it into your must cellar list. I think you'd benefit by trying to find blends you like fresh and starting to cellar your favorites.

It's not like tobacco goes through a huge metamorphosis with age. If you like it fresh, you'll likely like it a bit more with some age. If you dislike it fresh, highly unlikely that age is going to move it into your must cellar list. I think you'd benefit by trying to find blends you like fresh and starting to cellar your favorites.
Plus, if you are smoking out of the same stash that is also aging, you probably won't notice any difference at all. Because you and your tastes will be aging right along with it.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
You can find aged tins on 4noggins under consignment but they usually come with a $$$ price tag. I don’t know of any retailers that sells loose/bulk aged blends. I would imagine most retailers move their stock relatively quickly, so they wouldn’t have it long enough to be considered aged. You can find aged tobacco and you can buy small quantities of non aged tobacco, but you can’t easily buy small quantities of aged tobacco.

LongHairDontCare

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2021
I find that sometimes, if you’re buying something online that isn’t hugely popular, you can get tins that have sat for a bit. When I was first trying C&Ds Interlude, I bought two cans from Smokingpipes. One was a couple months old, and one was almost two years old. That wasn’t a half bad way to compare it after it had been sitting a while. But I don’t usually buy anything In quantity for the purpose of ‘aging it’, more just so I know I’ll have it later if it disappears. It changes over time, but that doesn’t always mean you’ll like it more.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
It’s unlikely to find someone willing to split vintage tins. I suggest not to stress too much about it. Some people cellar to age and others to stock up where aging is more of a byproduct. That’s what I do.

Tell us a bit of what you have tried that you’ve liked.
ofafeather, I'm new enough that I haven't tasted much, and my taste is changing, or maybe trying to get settled. I've had a couple of oriental blends, the standout being Peterson's Early Morning. I've had two Cavendish, one of which (Amphora) I've enjoyed but is lately seeming overly sweet, and a bulk item which was so repulsively sweet that I didn't finish the first bowl. I've also had a couple of Virginias that I liked, but whose names I can't remember.

Reactions: lightmybriar
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You can find aged tins on 4noggins under consignment but they usually come with a $$$ price tag. I don’t know of any retailers that sells loose/bulk aged blends. I would imagine most retailers move their stock relatively quickly, so they wouldn’t have it long enough to be considered aged. You can find aged tobacco and you can buy small quantities of non aged tobacco, but you can’t easily buy small quantities of aged tobacco.

How could you have loose, aged tobacco to tap into anyway? I suppose were it already 10 years old, you could open it and dole it out in small increments. I'm inclined to smoke an aged tin in a reasonable period of time once it is opened.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
You know, just buying 1oz of something is NOT giving that tobacco a shot. Maybe a whole tin, but even then... especially if you are new to this, you're not going to have any idea what you will like a few months down the road. We've all been there.
I say go in for a pound, minimum. If you dick around too long, you'll wait till August and just be shit outa luck. I don't envy you guys right now. You've got a lot of catching up to do to get yourself set before deeming date rolls around. And, no one is 100% certain what is going to happen going forward after deeming.

And, unless you are a kicking and screaming picky food eater, any tobacco can be enjoyed.
Aaaand....I have no idea what you just said. August, deeming, got it.

As for buying a pound - my experience with liquor says you may be right. So I'll go with some blends that at least have passed the test of time. Choco-Whamo et al probably won't make my list. Thanks much for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.