Would You Buy 100$ Frog Morton 100g Tin??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the pipe event this weekend, I ran into a guy with a trunk load of Frog Morton that he was trying to unload at $100 a tin. He had a few takers, but I was never a fan of it to begin with. Whenever I would get down wind of a few guys smoking this, it always had that waxy aromatic smell to me. But, it is interesting how many people thought that buying a trunk load of this was going to make them rich. Maybe it will. It at least gives the newbies a chance to try something new.
But no, I wouldn't be interested in buying any of this for $100 a tin, and there are things that I might be interested in trying for that price, just not this one. YMMV

mmcobber

Lurker
Feb 24, 2019
Sherbrooke Quebec Canada
Ok thank all for yours though , im a newby smoking cob, just wanted to try the frog once but yeah it very overpriced . Anyway I already bought a 50g of frog on the bayou! So at least I will taste this one!

Cheers !!

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I'm also a new smoker and was able to try both FM on the Bayou and regular FM, and for my inexperienced palate I couldn't tell much of a difference between them, though I did prefer FMOTB. I suggest smoking at least several bowls of the FMOTB first and deciding if it's really worth that much for FM.
Keep in mind that someone here on the forums will eventually be selling tins or ounces of it. I was patient in waiting for sales here and ended up with Penzance and other good blends I wanted to try.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Right now I'd lay in some good quality currently produced blends in fair quantity rather than going after discontinued bid-up blends. A Forums member sent me a tall tin of Frog Morton Cellar which was, to me, magnificent. But I'm not going after the rare blends these days. One hundred bucks worth of the currently available blends, eight or ten tins, would be a fine idea, and a better way to spend your money, with free shipping in that quantity.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I’d let it go and enjoy maybe Bengal Slices, Northwoods, GLP Gaslight or Quiet Nights, Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding... if you’ve not had some of those yet. There’s really too many great currently available offerings to list, as you may well know.
This right here^^^^
I started piping when Frog Morton original was readily available. I absolutely loved the stuff and would have 5 pounds of it if I could but not in this lifetime would I pay $100 for 100 grams.
There is so much out there right now that is readily available for a fraction of the cost listed above. Diamonback listed some really good blends if you want to start trying some blends that are not the same as FM but they are of the same genre and a few of those are actually better in my opinion.
There are a couple of copies of FM out there, and while not the same I think they get close:
Country Squire: Shepards Pie

Shepards Pie
Another one listed recently called King Frog Morton but I haven't tried it yet.

Kings Frog Morton

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Years ago when I was smoking Frog Morton they came out with Frog on the Bayou. I actually liked it better than the original Frog. I would never pay even 30 a tin for any Frog, not when there are tons of other blends for 10-15 bucks.
If you find that you enjoy Frog on the Bayou, you might want to try Two Friends Deacons Downfall.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
Never tried it and proablly never will especially at those prices it might spoil me of all other tobacco then id be chacing that first frog

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I wouldn't buy one for that price, but I might sell one for that price.

:lol: - Haha! I was just going to say I wouldn’t pay that much for a tin of Frog, but I wouldn’t sell any of my tins for that, either.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Funny, I wouldn't buy for that price, but I wouldn't sell my McClellands for that price either.

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
I did. Well it was $99 .

I am new to pipe smoking and have never tried the blend . I have only read good things about their tobacco so I figured, what the heck. I will never get another tin of this stuff so it will be a once in a while smoke.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
One could argue that when compared to Cigars this is still cheap but... no, no. No matter how good or well aged, no single Tin of Tobacco is worth 100$+

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
Well . Living in Canada I would have paid close to that amount for the quantity I got anyway. So picking it up online from an online retailer in the U.S wasn’t the worst thing I could do.

ron123

Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I kinda like the cigars analogy. Most decent cigars cost at least $10, and if you get 10 smokes out of a tin for $100, you're paying the same $10/smoke. Conversely, will you enjoy the $10 pipe-full of Frog Morton, 10x's as much as a currently produced readily available tin of something else? Probably not. It kinda comes down to, how bad do you want to scratch that itch. More often than not, I've scratched it, but then again I'm not going to say I recommend it either...but then again, again, it's probably not been the last time I've done it either. Try to make sense out of that! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.